Division and playoff suggestions please... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Division and playoff suggestions please...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Division and playoff suggestions please...

Postby aman74 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm trying to come up with a system that will reward the best teams a little more than the typical head to head league. There's so much luck involved and I want the winner to most likely be the best team. We thought about Roto style or total points, but I think overall head to head is still the best for football, but we need to tweak it a bit.

I think in some ways that no divisions is best in redraft leagues, but I'm here to get all opinions.

Here's some thoughts:

One option is to have the first place be the overall winner and 2nd place for the points leader, if they happen to be the same team then so be it.

I've also seen people play with no playoffs and just use overall record with points being the tiebreaker.

Also thought about giving the overall winner a bye to the championship and the winner of the other division a bye to the 2nd round of the playoffs. The rest could be wildcards decided by record with a points tiebreaker regardless of division...although that would be a little unorthodox.

We're going to have 12 teams with the playoffs starting in week 14.

I'd like your thoughts on divisions, playoffs and schedules.

Thanks,

Anthony
Finally won a league last year.
aman74
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Division and playoff suggestions please...

Postby spodog » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:31 am

Two ideas:

1. Set your playoffs up so that the 2 teams with the Top overall record are given a 1st round BYE in the playoffs.

One System that works well in 12 team Head to Head leagues:

- Playoffs in Week 14, 15 and 16
- 6 Teams advance to playoffs
- Week #14: Seeds #1 and #2 have byes; Seed #6 vs. Seed #3 and Seed #5 vs. Seed #4
- Week #15: Seed #1 vs lower seeded winner from Wk 14; Seed #2 vs higher seeded winner from Wk 14
- Week #16: Championship game - Winner of 2 games from Week #15

2. If you feel there is too much luck in pure head to head, you can use a system like the "Victory Points" system that is available with http://www.myfantasyleague.com. This site allows you to define points that are awarded for WINs, but you can also award points to teams for having a score in the top 1/3 of all scores for that week, etc.

Then you can use the Victory Points totals to determine who goes to the playoffs.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aman74 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.

That setup is how I will go if I do it in a traditional manner, which is probably what will end up happening.

However, I'm looking more into doing something unconventional, like when I mentioned the top team going straight the the finals and using points as tiebreakers regardless of divison status, but ultimately that may take too much out of the meaningfullness of the season division battles.

I like the no playoff idea, but ultimately I guess there is no best way and luck will always be involved.

Thanks for that link, but it's a bit pricey since we are only playing for 50 bucks.
Finally won a league last year.
aman74
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:45 pm

aman74 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for that link, but it's a bit pricey since we are only playing for 50 bucks.

You don't really need to use that site to use a Victory Points scheme. You simply track the things yourself that you want to include in your formula. (highest scoring team of the week gets Victory Points, top 4 scoring teams get Victory Points, etc)
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner