Could Houz be a top 3 WR this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could Houz be a top 3 WR this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Could Houz be a top 3 WR this year?

Postby kemper5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:10 am

If you look at last year, he put up 90 receptions, 1081 yards and 9 TD's in 14 games! He missedthe 1st 2 to injury..Lets just assume he played all 16 last year. He most likely would have gone over 100 catches, had over 1200 yards ( I gave him 170 yards for 2 games,85 ypg, he may have done more) and 10-11 TD's.. That would have put him in the top WR's with the vicinity of 285-300 points in a PPR league..Who did that last year? Harrison,TO and Wayne. Houz ended up putting up 240 in 14 games, what would he have done in 16, I think around 285+..So could he be a top 3 guy this year?
kemper5
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Could Houz be a top 3 WR this year?

Postby dgan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:51 am

I don't see that happening for a few reasons.

First, the team was dealing with the Chris Henry problem all year. In, out, in again, injured...this year, they know how things will play out at that position. They have guys capable enough to fill that role for the first half, at which point Henry will come back and we saw in the first preseason game the team is not ashamed to use him. I think as a whole, the team will be more comfortable using their preferred 3WR package than they were last year.

Second, Chad Johnson received undue attention from defenses. Housh went off against very good defenses, such as Oakland, Baltimore, and Denver. They have a tough schedule again, and I don't expect that scenario to repeat. Defenses will be ready this time and won't play nearly as much single coverage on Housh. They will probably play a variety of packages to try to disrupt Palmer rather than just predictably take one guy away and leave the others open for a whole game.

Third, despite having a few more catches than CJ, he was not even close in yardage. He's not a great RAC guy, and had an unusual number of TDs, a couple on gadget plays. You're lucky if he scores 8 TDs this year, and with his limited yardage totals, that will keep him well out of the top 3.

Finally, when you consider guys like Smith, Owens, and Bruce all had down years by their standards. Some of those guys will take a step up while Housh, at best, will put up similar numbers to last year.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:52 am

dgan wrote:
Finally, when you consider guys like Smith, Owens, and Bruce all had down years by their standards. Some of those guys will take a step up while Housh, at best, will put up similar numbers to last year.

i was with you until you mentioned bruce... :-°
Westbrook or B-West or God...His name is not Westy!
Snakes Gould
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WessWackos » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:37 am

dgan wrote:I don't see that happening for a few reasons.

First, the team was dealing with the Chris Henry problem all year. In, out, in again, injured...this year, they know how things will play out at that position. They have guys capable enough to fill that role for the first half, at which point Henry will come back and we saw in the first preseason game the team is not ashamed to use him. I think as a whole, the team will be more comfortable using their preferred 3WR package than they were last year.

--------------Cincy now has to bring in their #4 guy for half the season and then hope Henry can sync when he returns to be the #3. How is that much different than last year?

Second, Chad Johnson received undue attention from defenses. Housh went off against very good defenses, such as Oakland, Baltimore, and Denver. They have a tough schedule again, and I don't expect that scenario to repeat. Defenses will be ready this time and won't play nearly as much single coverage on Housh. They will probably play a variety of packages to try to disrupt Palmer rather than just predictably take one guy away and leave the others open for a whole game.

------------- How is it that CJ received "undue attention"? He is a beast, and must be double teamed. If teams don't double team CJ he'll kill them, if they don't double team Housh he'll kill them. There is no team defense in the NFL able to double team both starting WR's throughout the game. How will the D's be ready? Were they really still surprised by week 3/4/5/6 and unsure whether Housh was actually good? I don't under the reasoning here. I do agree that they will have to throw out a variety of packages and hope to disrupt the Pro Bowl Palmer. It's their only hope.

Third, despite having a few more catches than CJ, he was not even close in yardage. He's not a great RAC guy, and had an unusual number of TDs, a couple on gadget plays. You're lucky if he scores 8 TDs this year, and with his limited yardage totals, that will keep him well out of the top 3.

---------- I agree that he won't be top 3, but 8 TD's wouldn't be lucky, it would be underachieving for Housh.

------------Did you mean to type Holt?............
WessWackos
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:16 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
dgan wrote:

i was with you until you mentioned bruce... :-°

you and me both man. :-?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:34 am

I think Housh could be in for a great year. Cincy has two wide receivers that should be good #1s on different teams. We've seen what happens when you don't cover Chad Johnson: he completely destroys opposing defenses with his deep play abilities. We've also seen what happens when you don't cover Housh: he gets a lot of receptions that don't go too far but eventually help lead his team down the field. Personally, if I'm a defensive coordinator, I'll take my chances with Housh and hope that either the offense stalls or Palmer makes a mistake (which doesn't happen too often) rather than let Chad get multiple strikes deep.

Top 3: probably not. Top 5: maybe. Top 10: definitely.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 am

I'm gonna say Housh is a lock for top 12 but nothing more than that. He's not above the top tier of Smith, Harrison, Wayne, Holt, TO and he won't outscore CJ. After that things get a bit muddy. I still think that RW and Walker outscore him and possibly Evans. I'm gonna say about 88 receptions for 1100 Yards and 10 TDs. Without Henry he should benefit but I think CJ will benefit more. Housh is good but he doesn't have the great upside that I like outta guys like RW.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kemper5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:27 am

Is he a late 3rd to 4th rounder this year?
kemper5
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:36 am

kemper5 wrote:Is he a late 3rd to 4th rounder this year?

I'd say he's usually a late 3rd. His ADP is around 3.10 but I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to you in the early 4th.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kemper5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 am

Im late 4th (#48) and pretty much know he won't be there, also I don't want to snag him with my 3rd round (25th pick) as I know there will be more WR's that will be better options, or will he prove us wrong and go out and fetch a 95 Catch, 1200 yard, 11 TD season?
kemper5
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk