Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Tips on ESPN - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Tips on ESPN

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Tips on ESPN

Postby os_gamejunkie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:20 am

:-t Ok, can someone explain to me why these guys are "experts" again? He revealed his coveted fantasy tip #3 recently saying you must handcuff your #1 RB with its real life backup, even sacrificing a draft pick. The example he used was drafting LT (which only one player can) and ensuring you draft Michael Turner. Make sense I suppose, but only because Turner is good. In fact, he'd be a starting RB somewhere else if the Chargers organization wasn't so stubborn. So, if I draft draft Lynch I should sacrifice a draft pick to pick up Anthony Thomas? Anyways, isn't this more of an insurance back more than "handcuffing?" I thought handcuffing is drafting two backs from the same team that split time despite their value...(ie, Green/Dayne, Taylor/Peterson.) Unless your in a deep league and Mike Alstott will be the only back available, I don't see the need of passing on a WR to go after Rueben Droughns just based on the slight chance Jacobs get injured.
os_gamejunkie
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Tips on ESPN

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am

Well it's a common idea, not like this guy came up with it. You really only should handcuff your first round RB because it's a huge investment and generally a RB going in round 1 has a solid offense around him that would allow a backup to put up decent numbers.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:52 am

I don't subscribe to the theory that all your backs need to be handcuffed, but that only certain injury prone backs that produce do. Handcuffing doesn't necessarily mean committee backs either, as it is usually for insurance purposes (like you mention). This expert is right though, in that usually you do have to reach a bit for a handcuff. However, if your league is small (10 or less) handcuffing might not be needed since a productive starting RB may be in waivers. It's more important for bigger leagues, and keeper/dynasty leagues can add another dimension to the thinking, i.e. aging back handcuffed to young heir.

A good example of a back that should be handcuffed is Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts. ;-D
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikus » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:45 am

Berry said to handcuff your "stud" runningbacks, not all your runningbacks. He also mentioned special situations where you would want to grab the handcuff (Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts, for example).
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby moose_ffc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:54 am

He has a lot of "personality". He is ok for entertainment. He is MUCH better at Baseball than football. I am suprised that he has a job there still. Right place right time I guess.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:02 am

Fantasy tip #2 was dumb.
He basically bashed rookie WRs and said "Don't draft Calvin Johnson". While I DO agree that rookie WRs are mostly junk in redraft leagues, he shouldn't have dropped CJ2 in there. He literally said something like "Go ahead and draft Calvin Johnson in the 7th or 8th round while I grab someone like DJ Hackett or Devery Henderson".

Does this guy not know Calvin is the most gifted WR to come out of college since Randy Moss?
Maybe he forgot that Mike Martz is the OC and the Lions will pass 65 times a game?

Whatta donkey.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:30 am

Jimboozie wrote:Fantasy tip #2 was dumb.
He basically bashed rookie WRs and said "Don't draft Calvin Johnson". While I DO agree that rookie WRs are mostly junk in redraft leagues, he shouldn't have dropped CJ2 in there. He literally said something like "Go ahead and draft Calvin Johnson in the 7th or 8th round while I grab someone like DJ Hackett or Devery Henderson".

Does this guy not know Calvin is the most gifted WR to come out of college since Randy Moss?
Maybe he forgot that Mike Martz is the OC and the Lions will pass 65 times a game?

Whatta donkey.

That was poor advice, and there aren't many leagues where CJ2 is dropping to the 8th and I doubt many where Hackett is available in the 11th unless it's a small league.

Anyways, I hate Matthew Berry. His 1st tip was that the only way you could win was drafting RB's in the first 2 rounds no matter the size of the league. In a 14-teamers, would you really take 28 RB's before Manning or the elite WR's? He's not a bad fantasy mind, but his personality annoys the hell out of me.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 am

I forget with all these fantasy experts tending to jump from one place to another, but is this guy the Talented Mr. Roto? Or is that some other guy?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:49 am

moose_ffc wrote:He has a lot of "personality". He is ok for entertainment. He is MUCH better at Baseball than football.

Tru dat. He is a lot better at fantasy baseball advice. ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby mikus » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:50 am

beanoX3 wrote:I forget with all these fantasy experts tending to jump from one place to another, but is this guy the Talented Mr. Roto? Or is that some other guy?

He is the Talented Mr. Roto.

Personally, I like him. Not so much on TV, but I love listening to his podcast (Fantasy Football Focus and Fantasy Baseball Focus). He and Nate Ravitz (sp?) are pretty funny.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Next

Return to Football Talk