Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Tips on ESPN - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Tips on ESPN

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Matthew Berry's Fantasy Football Tips on ESPN

Postby os_gamejunkie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:18 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Anyways, I hate Matthew Berry. His 1st tip was that the only way you could win was drafting RB's in the first 2 rounds no matter the size of the league. In a 14-teamers, would you really take 28 RB's before Manning or the elite WR's? He's not a bad fantasy mind, but his personality annoys the hell out of me.

Yeah, I wasn't down with that one either, as that strategy is more of a debate than a rule. Even though I wouldn't draft Manning in the first round, an argument can be made. Especially if the league setting are different, more teams, draft position....or just based on the fact that there is a decent group of RBs out there. He should have said "be flexible" in your draft.

What's his Friday tip going to be.....don't draft a Kicker until the last round?

As far as his baseball insight goes, I'll never forget when he sat on the ESPN expert board this season to come up with the preseason top 25, he suggested Joe Mauer based on position scarcity. :-S
os_gamejunkie
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:51 pm

I'm lucky if I can get CalJohn (take me away) at the end of the 6th.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:26 pm

Yeah, I really don't like Berry's fantasy football advice. He just tries to flamboyantly sell his arbitrary point of view by spinning fantasy football cliches. ESPN has Calvin waaaaay down their preranks so a lot of ESPN users are getting him later than others, but in competitive leagues he's going in round 6. The thing I was least impressed with was the way he mentioned Calvin Johnson's name in the same breath as Mike Williams and Troy Williamson of all people. Considering the success of rookies like Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin, Marques Colston, and even to a lesser extent Roy Williams and Larry Fitzgerald, I'd say he's unnaturally low on Calvin... going so far as to dissuade picking him in the EIGHT round.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby elltrain22 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 am

I remember this smug little dork last year, and he waz raving about Chris Chambers and Derrick Mason, and they both sucked ass. In my opinion, there are probably many of us here on this board, that could run circles around that guy for his job. He thinks he is sooo smart, and IMO, he is just a pompous ass, w/ bad analysis.
elltrain22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:12 am

I happen to agree with this guy on Calvin Johnson... He is worthy of a 4th round pick in a Dynasty, but I wouldn't take him before the 7th in a redraft, either...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:20 am

I don't care much for his advice, and don't think he is that talented. That being said, I'd be willing to bet the AVERAGE poster here is much higher on the food chain than his target audience. You do have to start somewhere. And while some of these guys' advice won't help you win (See the 2RB theory against the VBD theory on SI.com) I happen to think following these guys will help keep you competitive if you are new. They just won't put you over the top.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:46 am

I respect Berry for his fantasy baseball knowledge - he's easily one of the best in the business. Seriously, that guy is good.

But everything I've seen from him in regards to fantasy football has paled greatly in comparison. He should honestly thinking about dropping fantasy football from his professional work.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby eaglesfan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:15 am

I actually thought his WR theory made sense....the point difference really wasn't that big.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:24 am

Can someone tell me where this is posted?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesfan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:22 am

bobbing_headz wrote:Can someone tell me where this is posted?

I saw it on Sportscenter....it may be on ESPN.com
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager