CJ
TO
Wayne
Holt
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The top-5 wide receivers

Postby moose162 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:38 pm

steelerfan04 wrote:I really don't see how you can rank Chad Johnson the #1 WR overall until he improves his TD output. The most he ever had was 10 in 2003, and he only had 7 last year, two less than TJ Houshmandzadeh. He's top 5, but not #1 overall IMO.

Consistency. Say what you want about Steve Smith's potential but what has he done outside of 2005 to earn being a top 15 pick.

1. C. Johnson
2. S. Smith
3. M. Harrison
4. T. Owens
5. T. Holt
moose162
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby WannabeGuru » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:50 pm

J35J wrote:1. CJ
2. Harrison
3. Owens
4. Holt
5a. Smith
5b. Wayne

I'm not quite as high on Smith as everyone else. To be honest though, you could put these 6 guys in any order and I wouldn't care.

I completely agree with you on Smith, especially when the QB situation in Carolina.

My top 5 is
CJ
Harrison
Wayne
Holt
TO
WannabeGuru
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan04 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:06 pm

moose162 wrote:
steelerfan04 wrote:I really don't see how you can rank Chad Johnson the #1 WR overall until he improves his TD output. The most he ever had was 10 in 2003, and he only had 7 last year, two less than TJ Houshmandzadeh. He's top 5, but not #1 overall IMO.

Consistency. Say what you want about Steve Smith's potential but what has he done outside of 2005 to earn being a top 15 pick.

1. C. Johnson
2. S. Smith
3. M. Harrison
4. T. Owens
5. T. Holt

While Johnson's stats may be consistent season to season, he is certainly not consistent on a game to game basis. Last year he had 5 games of under 50 yards receiving and only scored in 4 games. 5 of his TDs, and 450 of his yards, came in two games. Housh, on the other hand, scored in 8 games and was only held under 50 yards 3 times (and two of those he was in the 40s).
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:17 pm

I actually think Torry Holt will have a down year (for his standards) and wouldn't rank him in the top five.
For one, he's a little banged up going into the season. Also, the Rams added Drew Bennett, Randy McMichael, and Brian Leonard which could take away from Holt.

My top 5 would be...
1. TO (Romo loves him)
2. Steve Smith (Most explosive WR in the NFL)
3. Marvin Harrison (Still Peyton's guy and excellent route runner)
4. Roy Williams (The addition of Calvin Johnson will draw the heat away from Roy)
5. Chad Johnson (Consistent and Palmer is in line for a huge year)
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:11 pm

steelerfan04 wrote:
moose162 wrote:

1. C. Johnson
2. S. Smith
3. M. Harrison
4. T. Owens
5. T. Holt

While Johnson's stats may be consistent season to season, he is certainly not consistent on a game to game basis. Last year he had 5 games of under 50 yards receiving and only scored in 4 games. 5 of his TDs, and 450 of his yards, came in two games. Housh, on the other hand, scored in 8 games and was only held under 50 yards 3 times (and two of those he was in the 40s).

He was inconsistent last year, there's no doubt about that. But the two years before he spread his TD's over 7 games, and in 2005 he only had 2 games in which he didn't score a TD or go over 60 yards, so he was very good and consistent from week to week. Perhaps Palmer's recovery from his knee injury slowed CJ at first, or maybe it was the emergence of T.J. on the other side. I'd have to guess CJ will be a bit more consistent this year. That said, he's not in my Top-5.

1-Steve Smith-He's somewhat of a gamble because of his injury history, but I'm willing to take that rist. He's one of the few WR's in my mind that can carry a team from week to week.

2-Terrell Owens-Romo's go-to guy and a lock for double digit TD's. If he avoids the drops again, which he should with a fully healthy finger, then he could easily be fantasy's best wideout.

3-Reggie Wayne-Last year he was close to surpassing Marvin as far as production went, and this year I think he'll overtake him by a slight margin.

4-Marvin Harrison-Still great and he's in such good shape that age shouldn't have much of a factor on him.

5-Marques Colston-A bit of a gamble, but he's got one of the best QB's in the game throwing to him and is the clear #1 target. Bush and the other WRs will keep teams from focusing too much attention on him. Payton is a creative offensive guy and will find a way to get in Colston's hands. I'll fully admit this is the one I'm least confident in, but I think Colston is just going to build upon last year's campaign.

3-
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vickfan07 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:16 pm

in my one league i think chad Johnson is the most overated reciever because of the format. 2 points for 75 yards and 2 points for every 25 yards after, 4 points for every touchdown
vickfan07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Happy Friar » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:31 pm

mikus wrote:
Happy Friar wrote:1. Chad Johnson
2. Torry Holt
3. Steve Smith
4. Marvin Harrison
5. Torry Holt

Wow, Torry Holt is the man!!! :-b

Darn Straight Torry's the Man!!! :-b haha but 5 should be Terrell for me
Happy Friar
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby prime_time13 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:54 pm

1. TO (finger is better, another year with romo/cowboys offense)
2. Smith (i agree that he can carry a team)
3. Harrison
4. CJ
5. Holt

One thing i think about these 5 WRs is that they're tough to distinguish as far as predictions. i'm gonna wait til a couple are gone and then take one out of this group. Everyone is ranking them in different order b/c they could each be #1....easily. why not wait and grab the last one or 2 of the bunch. b/c i think there's a bit of a drop off when you're looking at Roy, Fitz, and Wayne in the the next tier. these top 5 are the only ones you can truly count on week in and week out if they're healthy!
prime_time13
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:05 pm

1. Steve Smith
2. Terrell Owens
3. Torry Holt
4. Marvin Harrison
5. Reggie Wayne

CJ doesnt fill me with a whole lot of confidence. You've got the incosistency from last year that scares me but the biggest reason i dont have him in my top 5 are the losses on the Bengals oline. That scares me enough to move Chad to 6th.
TO is a pretty big gamble i think. We all know hes got the ability and the situation to put up ridiculous numbers, but what we dont know is if he will be able to keep him mouth shut and play football the entire season.
As much as i hate to say it Harrison still edges out Wayne. Peyton looks to Marvin in the endzone, its just that simple. That being said i'd take either one of these guys and be very happy. 2 very safe stud reciever picks.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk