Take Your Pick: Portis or McGahee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Take Your Pick: Portis or McGahee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Take Your Pick: Portis or McGahee

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:49 pm

Who of these two will have the more solid year? Portis has Betts to deal with. McGahee, who really knows? If these two are sitting on the board, who are you drafting as your #2 back?

How about in a PPR league? Do things change?
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Take Your Pick: Portis or McGahee

Postby sublimeandy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:13 pm

i would probably draft mcgahee, r brown, edge, t jones, benson maybe even mjd before portis. only because i don't think he's healthy and i dont' want to have to take betts early and i would have to if i drafted portis. not worth the risk, someone else can deal with it.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:14 pm

I really think McGahee. He has the 2nd easiest run schedule while Portis's is quite difficult. Like people have been saying, tendonitis is an injury that only heals with rest. With the pounding RBs take on their knees, it's sure to flare up on Portis. Whether it is something he can play with during the year when the chips are down is yet to be seen. I just got Portis at the end of the 4th in a 10 team mock draft. He is really starting to fall and is averaging about 3.7 in 10 teamers I believe.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:59 pm

This is simply a matter of philosophy in my mind. Portis is clearly the better back when healthy. If you want a safe bet, go with McGahee, if you want to gamble, go with Portis. Though the tendinitis thing bothers me a little, he tends to play through minor injuries pretty well. I look at him basically the way I looked at Westbrook last year.

Westbrook was going around the same time last year as Portis is this year. I'd say if Portis is healthy, he will put up similarly gaudy numbers to reward those that had faith. I fully understand the skepticism surrounding his ability to stay healthy though. If I got LT number 1, I'd be tempted to go ahead and roll the dice with Portis at #20 or 24, knowing I at least have one sure thing.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Lordrevolution » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:40 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:This is simply a matter of philosophy in my mind. Portis is clearly the better back when healthy. If you want a safe bet, go with McGahee, if you want to gamble, go with Portis. Though the tendinitis thing bothers me a little, he tends to play through minor injuries pretty well. I look at him basically the way I looked at Westbrook last year.

Westbrook was going around the same time last year as Portis is this year. I'd say if Portis is healthy, he will put up similarly gaudy numbers to reward those that had faith. I fully understand the skepticism surrounding his ability to stay healthy though. If I got LT number 1, I'd be tempted to go ahead and roll the dice with Portis at #20 or 24, knowing I at least have one sure thing.

This is, give or take, the exact same thing I did. With Portis's top 5 upside, you could have the best RB tandem in the entire league.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Lordrevolution wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:This is simply a matter of philosophy in my mind. Portis is clearly the better back when healthy. If you want a safe bet, go with McGahee, if you want to gamble, go with Portis. Though the tendinitis thing bothers me a little, he tends to play through minor injuries pretty well. I look at him basically the way I looked at Westbrook last year.

This is, give or take, the exact same thing I did. With Portis's top 5 upside, you could have the best RB tandem in the entire league.

Which is why I would take Portis. Al Saunders offensive, top 5 potential in talent, the risk is there but the rewards are immense.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pangbones » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:28 pm

I'd take McGahee. Portis will get his, but there is too much risk for my liking. Betts was better than Portis last year, and he should get close to 50% of the carries, that is if Gibbs wants to win. McGahee is the RB in Baltimore, we know they want to run the ball. The O line is a concern, but he will get all the carries, and especially the goal line carries.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Portis. People think he's due for some big resurgence just because he moved from Buffalo to Baltimore, but Baltimore's rushing attack was just as woeful last year as Buffalo's, so what's the difference? He definitely does have an easier schedule this year than he probably ever did with Buffalo, but I try not to put too much weight on strength of schedule.

I'm not saying McGahee's over valued where he's being drafted, I just think Portis offers alot more upside.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:58 pm

id roll with portis. i love mcgahees talent, but ill wait to see how the o-line gells before going overboard on him...not to mention the ravens dont sniff the endzone too often. portis has insane amounts of talent and a much higher ceiling fantasy wise. ill take the risk with the injuries and betts for a guy who could end up top 5.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:46 am

I know I've said Portis and might say I like him better but when it comes to draft time I'll draft McGahee every time. I'm just not enough of a risk taker to waste a pick on a potential bust. He could do great things, but he also has bust written all over him. Isn't he still hurt this year anyways?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk