Take Your Pick: Portis or McGahee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Take Your Pick: Portis or McGahee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Take Your Pick: Portis or McGahee

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:41 am

bobbing_headz wrote:I know I've said Portis and might say I like him better but when it comes to draft time I'll draft McGahee every time. I'm just not enough of a risk taker to waste a pick on a potential bust. He could do great things, but he also has bust written all over him. Isn't he still hurt this year anyways?

I feel the same way, I take McGahee in my mocks because I can't feel good about taking Portis.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:40 am

I'd take McGahee and try to land Betts later. That way, when Portis goes down, you've got both of Baltimore's and Washington's starting running backs. ;-D :-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:56 pm

I'd take Portis but i sure wouldnt feel comfortable without Betts. What round has Betts been going normally and is the Portis/Betts combo worth 2 relatively high draft picks? I really think it could be.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:24 pm

McGahee does nothing for me...if these are your only two choices i'd go with Portis

FWIW i have Portis 13th and McGahee 17th
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Portis
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:McGahee does nothing for me...if these are your only two choices i'd go with Portis

FWIW i have Portis 13th and McGahee 17th

I have McGahee 12th and Portis 17th, updated today.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:54 pm

I'll take Portis over McGahee. McGahee didn't prove in Buffalo that he could be an amazing back, and Baltimore' offense isn't a significant upgrade over Buffalo's. With Portis, you have a potential top 5 back, and the only thing that could prevent him from reaching that is injury. If you're willing to spend a 6th or 7th round pick on Betts as a handcuff, that eliminates most of the risk associated with Portis.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:23 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I'll take Portis over McGahee. McGahee didn't prove in Buffalo that he could be an amazing back, and Baltimore' offense isn't a significant upgrade over Buffalo's. With Portis, you have a potential top 5 back, and the only thing that could prevent him from reaching that is injury. If you're willing to spend a 6th or 7th round pick on Betts as a handcuff, that eliminates most of the risk associated with Portis.

I'm not willing to spend that pick on Betts that early and it wouldn't eliminate the risk of the RBBC between them. Ughhh, makes me sick thinking about it. I'd rather have a solo RB on a very strong defensive team that will be running out the clock late in the game. ;-D
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:46 pm

BALCOBOMBER wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I'll take Portis over McGahee. McGahee didn't prove in Buffalo that he could be an amazing back, and Baltimore' offense isn't a significant upgrade over Buffalo's. With Portis, you have a potential top 5 back, and the only thing that could prevent him from reaching that is injury. If you're willing to spend a 6th or 7th round pick on Betts as a handcuff, that eliminates most of the risk associated with Portis.

I'm not willing to spend that pick on Betts that early and it wouldn't eliminate the risk of the RBBC between them. Ughhh, makes me sick thinking about it. I'd rather have a solo RB on a very strong defensive team that will be running out the clock late in the game. ;-D

To each his own. I understand the arguments for McGahee, but I'd rather have a RB combo who I basically know will give me good numbers (Portis/Betts) rather than a guy that I'm not high on (McGahee). Still, both sides have solid reasoning.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:12 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:McGahee didn't prove in Buffalo that he could be an amazing back, and Baltimore' offense isn't a significant upgrade over Buffalo's.

He was amazing in 2004. 1300 total yards with 13 TDs to boot and he only started 11 games that year.
2005, JP Losman's rookie season, the entire offense was a trainwreck and it really hurted McGahee. Last year, the offense was pretty darn bad too. Baltimore's offense is a significant upgrade over Buffalo's. Baltimore had one of the top offense last season and have a decent line, solid QB, two solid WRs in Clayton and Mason, and a stud TE in Todd Heap. Plus, their top defense should give them a lot of short fields to work with. I don't have a problem with you saying you'll think Portis will do better, but I think the knocking of McGahee is unwarranted and possibly biased. :-b
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk