Draft Preparation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Preparation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Draft Preparation

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:38 am

I do almost all of this but I manage to get it all on just one sheet. I use colors to seperate my teiring system and also next to each player, I put how many points they put up in our scoring system last year and their bye weeks. Along the right hand side of the page I have a column for the squad I have drafted. I also use colors on individual players to denote a few different things. Green means huge upside for where he is being drafted, yellow means theres a slight risk or maybe new found competition (rbbc, etc.) and red usually means injury or serious risk or something of the sort. I only use that on a select few players as to not overlaod the sheet with too much color. Its good to use the light (softer) colors for the teiring and then darker colors for independant flagging. I use Excel to put it all together. ;-D Works great and I am not flipping through multiple pages come draft time. Its all on one page, on my clip board easily accesible. We do a live draft. Best day of the year.... ;-D

Here is a basic layout of it. Sorry its in black and white (work scanner)but it should give you the jist of what I do.It also makes it hard to see some of the lighter shading I have done.... If you see lots of people missing, its because I am in a 10 team / 3 man keeper league.... I hope this helps.. ;-D

Last edited by petedog9 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:55 am

petedog9 wrote:I do almost all of this but I manage to get it all on just one sheet. I use colors to seperate my teiring system and also next to each player, I put how many points they put up in our scoring system last year and their bye weeks. Along the right hand side of the page I have a column for the squad I have drafted. I also use colors on individual players to denote a few different things. Green means huge upside for where he is being drafted, yellow means theres a slight risk or maybe new found competition (rbbc, etc.) and red usually means injury or serious risk or something of the sort. I only use that on a select few players as to not overlaod the sheet with too much color. Its good to use the light (softer) colors for the teiring and then darker colors for independant flagging. I use Excel to put it all together. ;-D Works great and I am not flipping through many pages come draft time. Its all on one page, on my clip board easily accesible.

Here is a basic layout of it. Sorry its in black and white (work scanner)but it should give you the jist of what I do.It also makes it hard to see some of the lighter shading I have done.... If you see lots of people missing, its because I am in a 10 team / 3 man keeper league.... I hope this helps.. ;-D

My first comment would be that your TE rankings are all out of whack, but I like the concept...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:02 pm

Our scoring is pretty funky compared to the standard yahoo. Its a big yardage and length of TD league...If you can blow it up large enough, you can see what they scored last year. But I am open to all comments, suggestions.... ;-D.............

I havent spent much time on the TE's to date.... Let me know what you thik. I am tweaking this list daily and could use an outsiders opinion. Sometimes, I'll look at it and say to myself..."why did I do that?" :-B Different mindsets on different days I guess....

I should also tell you that we start

1qb/2rb/4wr/1TE/1Def

and thats why the wr list is so long...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:39 pm

petedog9 wrote:Our scoring is pretty funky compared to the standard yahoo. Its a big yardage and length of TD league...If you can blow it up large enough, you can see what they scored last year. But I am open to all comments, suggestions.... ;-D.............

I havent spent much time on the TE's to date.... Let me know what you thik. I am tweaking this list daily and could use an outsiders opinion. Sometimes, I'll look at it and say to myself..."why did I do that?" :-B Different mindsets on different days I guess....

I should also tell you that we start

1qb/2rb/4wr/1TE/1Def

and thats why the wr list is so long...

OK, for starters Randy McMichael is a little too high.... He had some good moments in Miami, but mainly because for so many years Miami didn't have any decent weapons at WR, except for maybe Chris Chambers who was always double-teamed... Add to that the fact that most of the time Miami had a scrub in at QB who wasn't capable of going through his progressions, and when Chambers wasn't immediately open McMichael was the beneficiary of the check down pass... Simply put, he was one of the only options in Miami, and his stats reflected that situation... In St. Louis he is - at best - the fourth option in that offense... Bulger is capable of going through his progressions, he has multiple threats in the passing game, and even if he does need a check-down guy it will be Steven Jackson, not Randy McMichael...

Secondly, you have Chris Cooley ranked too low... The same reasoning applies to Cooley that applies to McMichael... Campbell is young, and won't be very good at making his way through his progressions... Santana Moss is his only real target at WR, and when Moss isn't immediately open he'll be looking for the check-down guy... In most circumstances those balls will go to Cooley...

Crumpler is ranked too high... There are too many questions in the Atlanta offense with Harrington at the helm to have Crumpler ranked among the elite TE's...

Jeremy Shockey is ranked too low... I, personally, have Shockey ranked as the number two tight end in 2007... That might be a matter of personal preference, but he is certainly no worse than the number four guy...

I don't have Gonzo ranked in the top-3, but I could see why you might... He certainly does have the benefit of having an inexperienced QB and no real weapons at WR...

Winslow and Vernon Davis should both be in the top-tier, but I think they both have questions surrounding them... They seem like Boom-or-Bust picks to me...

LJ Smith is ranked too highly... In years gone by he benefited from the lack of weapons at WR in Philly, but it seems like Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and Greg Lewis may be the real deal... And, the check-down guy in Philly is, without question, Brian Westbrook... Not to mention the fact that he is suffering from a sports hernia, and we all know that could easily kill him for the season...

My rankings go something like this:

(1) Gates
(2) Shockey
(3) Heap
(4) Gonzalez
(5) Winslow
(6) Davis
(7) Cooley
(8) Witten
(9) Crumpler
(10) Watson
(11) Clark
(12) Miller
(13) McMichael
(14) Scaife
(15) Eric Johnson
(16) Greg Olsen

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Good insight man. Thx. I'll take that into consideration... Its always good to get an outsiders opinion. I am just worried about the NYG and what seems to be an imminent implosion. No Tiki to take the pressure off of ELI and zero chemistry coming out of that camp. I understand your reasoning about Alge but there realli is not much else to throw to in ATL IMO. I will bump up Cooley a bit. I just have never been a Cooley guy for whatever reason.

The tweaking continues... Thx Plindsey.. ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:02 pm

petedog9 wrote:Good insight man. Thx. I'll take that into consideration... Its always good to get an outsiders opinion. I am just worried about the NYG and what seems to be an imminent implosion. No Tiki to take the pressure off of ELI and zero chemistry coming out of that camp. I understand your reasoning about Alge but there realli is not much else to throw to in ATL IMO. I will bump up Cooley a bit. I just have never been a Cooley guy for whatever reason.

The tweaking continues... Thx Plindsey.. ;-D

I don't think that there is "no one else to throw to" in Atlanta... I think Michael Vick just doesn't have the ability to hit the broad side of a barn, and therefore throwing to the wide outs was a little out of the question...

Michael Jenkins, Joe Horn, and Roddy White all seem like capable wide receivers to me, and Atlanta has some good hands in the back field with Warrick Dunn and Jerious Norwood...

I would be VERY surprised if the receiving stats for all those guys didn't increase with Mike Vick out of the picture, and while Alge might still be a good TE, I don't think he will benefit from the one receiver mentality that Vick was so famous for...

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Football Talk