Rookie/FA draft in dynasty league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rookie/FA draft in dynasty league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rookie/FA draft in dynasty league

Postby aqua » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:58 am

I'm in the first year of a dynasty league and we are having some difficulty deciding how the draft will be done for the rookies/free agents next year. Our commish has said we need to declare who we are realeasing a week prior to the draft so he knows how many rounds we need and everyone else knows what free agents will be available (he is planning to do one draft). These were my comments to him:

I can't speak for others but I may not know if I am going to drop someone or not until I see who is available to pick up and if they are still there when I want them. For example, I may be willing to drop Randle El next year for player "X" but I would be targeting them in round 4. If somebody else takes that player before I do, I may now prefer to keep Randle El but I've already been forced to cut him.

Can we maybe draft rookies and then you are forced to cut however many players you drafted and then the week after or so we have a free agent draft - or maybe just set waiver priority in the order the draft was and not have the veteran draft?

How do other dynasty leagues handle the rookie draft? Do they have a rookie draft and then a free agent draft or just waivers? Do they have to declare who they are releasing before the draft or just when they make their pick or perhaps even a week after?
aqua
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rookie/FA draft in dynasty league

Postby Peacesells » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:25 am

Your commish's view is correct. If you do not drop players before the draft you are essentially taking players out of the draft pool. What you have written to your commish is just part of the uncertainty that all the owners will have to face. To what you proprose sounds alot like testing out a new girlfriend before you dump your old one.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Rookie/FA draft in dynasty league

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:01 am

You're right, you shouldn't have to drop until after the draft or when you pick at the minimum. You could always have a rule where players dropped during the draft can't be picked up until after the draft using waivers and waiver priority.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Commissioner's Corner