2 RB / 2 QB League Draft Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

2 RB / 2 QB League Draft Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

2 RB / 2 QB League Draft Question

Postby AfterEffekt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:43 pm

Hey quick question. Last year was my first year playing fantasy football and I just dove into it without knowing anything and, as you may expect, I came in last. However, I have been reading intently into drafting strategies, player projections, etc so I am pretty prepared this time around. I know that drafting RBs first is important because guaranteed touches = fantasy points, obviously, my question is this:

In a fantasy league with 2 RBs and 2 QBs should I draft my quarterbacks ahead of my WRs?

Reason being the QBs are guaranteed touches above WRs which, aside from the usual Smith, TO, Harrison, Ocho Cinco, etc. the difference in points is not that vast between the top WRs and the bottom of the pack.

In a normal league I would probably try to grab 2 RBs first then a WR (or another RB depending on who I get in the first 2 rounds) followed by a QB around the 4th or 5th round. I figure though, in the 2 QB league the point production I would get from the QBs would probably be greater than the 3 WRs I start.

So any help is much appreciated (I would have asked this sooner but just got back from Vacay)

PS: I am new to this league with my friends (10 teams) so my draft position will probably be 7-10 (newbies to the league are last in the draft, i don't like it but c'est la vie)

Thanks in advance
AfterEffekt
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2 RB / 2 QB League Draft Question

Postby nervouspervis » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:46 pm

AE, that's a good question with most likely no good answer, but here's my two cents...

Let's assume you grab 2 RBs with your first two picks (which I would do, unless your league awards 6 pts for passing TDs in which case you grab Manning if he falls to you late in the first round). That leaves you with 7 rounds to draft 2 QBs, 3 WRs, a 3rd RB and either a TE or a 4th WR.

Best case (and most likely) scenario, people in your league will jump the gun and snatch a Palmer/Brady/Bulger/Brees type QB as early as the second or third round. If I were you, I'd take this opportunity to stack your starting WRs and pick up a solid third RB. Hopefully no one in your league will be foolish enough to draft 2 Qbs in the first 5 rounds, which means you should have a shot at a Donovon McNabb, Hasselbeck, or Vince Young as late as round 6...At this point you'd have 5 strong RB/WR positions filled and a QB capable of putting up tier2 (non-payton) numbers (which I think McNabb and maybe even Hasselbeck are capable of doing). Seems like a pretty good position to be in going into the 7th round.

In short, take advantage of the likelihood everyone else in your league is going to move early for their first QB, snatch a #7-#10 ranked QB as your #1, and watch as your position players dominate the opposition. If you resist the urge to grab a QB early and end up with a tandem of say, Donovon and JP Losman, I guarantee you'll be more than competitive. If anything, move early on your 3rd QB, in a 10-team league you can probably grab a player like Matt Schaub which would be a nice player to plug in on a matchup basis or in case of an injury to your 1 or 2.

Hope this helps, good luck with your draft.
nervouspervis
Monday Morning Quarterback

Re: 2 RB / 2 QB League Draft Question

Postby AfterEffekt » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:35 am

Sounds pretty good. I dont know how these guys drafted last time around, In Yahoo I dont think I can look at the previous seasons stats if i wasnt in the league. I'll see what I can figure out. It would give me a good opportunity to figure out how others may draft this time around.

I like the idea of stacking those positions and waiting on the QBs. I may end up doing a combo of 2 RBS, 2 WR and in the 5th round seeing if I can grab one elite QB. Either way, I'm not going to end up with 3 tier 1 WRs. Best case scenario is I end up with 1 tier 1 and 2 tier 2 WRs. Maybe trying to go for Antonio Gates early at TE may be a good idea.

Let me know any ideas on that. Thanks. I'm drafting next Friday so again, any and all help would be great. I've been reading a lot on these forums and there are a lot of very "crafty veterns" on these boards so getting some more insight is great. Thanks again NP.

AfterEffekt
AfterEffekt
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Beginner's Forum