Announce keepers before or after draft order is set? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Announce keepers before or after draft order is set?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Announce keepers before or after draft order is set?

Postby money » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:49 pm

I'm trying to figure out if it would be better for me to draw out the draft order and then let everyone announce their keepers once they know their draft spot, or if we should announce keepers first and then do the draft order.

The way our keepers works is that the manager loses the same round pick this year that they used on that player in last years draft. For example, this is going to sound crazy but I got Gore in the 14th round last year. So this year I will lose my 14th round pick on him and get to draft him.

Which way would you think would be the fairest? We are going to have three or four new players this year and they won't be able to have a keeper for this years draft. If we waited until after we set the draft order to announce keepers, someone with Tomlinson for example, could see that they have the last pick in the draft and then choose to keep Tomlinson.

If I did it the other way, it would seem that some people would have to think hard about who they wanted to keep since they won't know their actual spot in the draft.

I think announcing keepers first and then doing the draft order would be the fairest, but I'd like some suggestions as well.

Thank you
money
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Announce keepers before or after draft order is set?

Postby Peacesells » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:21 am

I'd announce draft order first.

Off topic, what do you do if you decide to keep Gore a 3rd year? Do you still only lose a 14th round pick?

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:52 pm

You randomize the draft order every year?? Interesting although the last place winner could lose interest quickly if they end up drafting late.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby money » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:52 pm

Peacesells wrote:I'd announce draft order first.

Off topic, what do you do if you decide to keep Gore a 3rd year? Do you still only lose a 14th round pick?

Peace

If I keep Gore this year he'll be a FA next season. We can only keep a player for one year. The other rule is that the player we keep must be on our roster for the entire season the year before. A player who was dropped or traded cannot be kept.

You randomize the draft order every year?? Interesting although the last place winner could lose interest quickly if they end up drafting late

Yes we randomize every year. The biggest disadvantage in this setup is when new players join the league, they don't get a keeper in their first draft.
money
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Sir Creep » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:22 am

I can't recall ever being in a league that owners didn't have to announce their keepers first. Heck, if it's a KEEPER league, then I presume you are doing a 'snake' draft in the reverse order from last year's final standings, as any normal league would do, meaning that everyone KNEW the draft order back in January.

What gives?
In any case, announce the keepers FIRST, I guess is what I'm saying. But what kind of keeper league ignores last year's standings and pulls names froma a hat? Odd...
SC
Sir Creep
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby edanono » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:23 am

We announce keepers before the draft order is set and do not lose any draft picks for that one player. The order is random every year. We look at like we are all starting from scratch again except for that one player. Results from last year are irrelavent.
DA Nono
edanono
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:56 am

edanono wrote:We announce keepers before the draft order is set and do not lose any draft picks for that one player. The order is random every year. We look at like we are all starting from scratch again except for that one player. Results from last year are irrelavent.

With 1 player, it's not as much of a big deal. I was referring to those leagues that you keep 3-4 players minimum. If you have a dominant team and they end up picking first, it can mess things up. Same for a really bad team picking last.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Return to Commissioner's Corner