What I learned from my $$$ league draft today (VBD) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What I learned from my $$$ league draft today (VBD)

Moderator: Football Moderators

What I learned from my $$$ league draft today (VBD)

Postby Max Power » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:57 pm

I just finished my draft today and the value for RBs was there in almost every round...

My team ended up with 6 rbs in a 12 team 15 round draft

those included

Addai (1)
McGahee (2)
T. Jones (3)
J. Lewis (7)
J. Jones (8)
K. Jones (10)

Had to pass on guys like Turner and Betts just to fill my starting roster spots...although they had my highest ranking...

Mt team lookes fine though.

QB: Romo, Leinart, grossman
RB: listed above
WR: Driver, Burress, DJ Hackett, T. Williamson
TE: Eric Johnson
K: Didnt draft a kicker yet...(still too early in the preseason to draft a kicker)
Def: Philly

Im no totally disapointed, but people remember VBD is just a tool and not a way to draft.

Note #2: People will overvalue QBs We had 5 go in the top 40 picks (McNabb, brees, bulger, brady, manning)

Note #3 : WR's go fast...between rounds 3 through 5....22 WRs went...that is out of 36 picks
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What I learned from my $$$ league draft today (VBD)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:03 pm

1) Not exactly sure why you went RB/RB/RB.
2) 5 QBs in the top 40 is nothing different.
3) VBD is a way to draft if understood properly and correctly used.
4) Your team looks fine, plus you have trade bait with those RBs.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Max Power » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:06 pm

I have Mcgahee ranked 14th and Jones ranked 21...so when they were there at 20 & 29...I had to pick them...There wasnt an WR talent that stood out and QB's were overvalued
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Max Power » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Sorry....I ment 6 in the top 40....including palmer
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:19 pm

pretty mediocre team depending on how many WR you start and you have no depth there. if this is only a 2RB league i think you'll have a hard time trading any of those lesser backs

if it's a FLEX league it's a little better but nothing special

no idea why you have a 3rd QB in Grossman

your TE is awful...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:your TE is awful...

most are. i think eric johnson could be a good deep sleeper this year. and really after gates can you expect much more than 5 - 9 points out of your TE spot per game anyway? tight ends are worthless. i'd rather take a flier on eric johnson late in a draft than take jeremy shockey in round 8 anyway.

i don't think the team is bad. driver and burress are both solid #2 wrs borderline #1s. hackett could be really nice this year. you have some good qbs that you should be able to platoon and make some big points out of certain weeks with them. this team will definitely be competitive in a 12 teamer. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Max Power » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:03 pm

I didnt think I would like going RB/RB/RB, but after taking a step back and looking at it, I am happy I did.

Here are the reasons why...

1. I had T. Jones ranked as the highest player left on my cheat sheet. ( The top 7 wrs already taken and I felt the drop off to the next tier wasnt worth a 3rd rounder)

2. I have less of a concern if one of my top 2 backs go down

3. No bye week worries

4. as a poster mentioned above...great trade bait. We start 2 RBs, no flex. The following are starting rbs at this point in my league...MBIII, Ahman Green, Deangelo williams, Adrian peterson...all who IMO are #3backs...and its safe to say someone will get hurt for a few weeks

We do start 3 wrs...and I only need 4...why people stock up on WRs is besides me...IMO the #3 WR spot needs to be a very flexible spot. every year some WR comes out of no where...I just need to be ready to pounce.

Drafting 3qbs is just to get me through the pre season...dont need anyone getting hurt
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby pangbones » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:51 pm

Solid team. Since the top 7 WR's were gone, I think you made the right choice taking Jones. You ended up with a couple solid #2 WR's anyways, and thats what you would have had to take in the 3rd round anyways. I don't have a problem with the 3 QB's either. You'll probably use Romo more than not, but he's no sure thing. If I don't get any of the top 6 QB's on my list, I'd do the same thing and play the matchups each week. You may get burned here or there, but more than likely you can get solid production from one of them each week. And if one of them busts out, more power to ya!! ;-D

The only thing I don't agree with is taking Johnson at TE. You probably could have gotten a top 15 TE as late as the 12th round.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:40 am

moonhead wrote:

most are. i think eric johnson could be a good deep sleeper this year. and really after gates can you expect much more than 5 - 9 points out of your TE spot per game anyway? tight ends are worthless. i'd rather take a flier on eric johnson late in a draft than take jeremy shockey in round 8 anyway.

i don't think the team is bad. driver and burress are both solid #2 wrs borderline #1s. hackett could be really nice this year. you have some good qbs that you should be able to platoon and make some big points out of certain weeks with them. this team will definitely be competitive in a 12 teamer. ;-D

eh...i'd rather get those 5-9 than 2-5 out of an 8-15th ranked TE type instead of grabbing some backup RB i'll never be able to trade

to each his own though, but i've found it difficult to trade mediocre RB's in 2RB/3WR leagues
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moonhead » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:03 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
moonhead wrote:

eh...i'd rather get those 5-9 than 2-5 out of an 8-15th ranked TE type instead of grabbing some backup RB i'll never be able to trade

to each his own though, but i've found it difficult to trade mediocre RB's in 2RB/3WR leagues

yeah i understand your point. i just always wait on tight ends. and eric johnson is someone i'm definitely eyeing late in drafts this year.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Return to Football Talk