To update, I'm doing my best to contact my friend via phone, but he hasn't replied to messages yet. He's pretty busy and may not be able to reply today, and since the deadline is tonight I have to make a decision.
My decision is, it's a fair deal, we agreed to it and between us a verbal agreement is good. I will put the trade through as commissioner and I will post a message to the league about the trade and why I'm doing it.
That will have to be good enough. If it's not, I'll be open to concerns. I suppose that's what I would do if anyone else was in this situation.
I think it bears noting that the guy I'm making this trade with was up until two weeks ago a pastor at my church. He took a call to be the head pastor at another church, which is why he moved, and why he's so busy now (they also have a school, which he has obligations to as well). So he has a reasonable amount of integrity and it would be pretty easy to assume I'm not in any way going to screw around with a good friend who also happens to be a minister.
I'll let you know what my league says about this, in case anyone is wondering. Thanks for the advice, guys.