Sticky Trade Problem - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Sticky Trade Problem

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sticky Trade Problem

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:05 am

I have a problem in my $$$ league. I am the Commissioner and I have a guy who just moved to a new state, and he hasn't gotten his internet set up yet. We agreed on a trade about three weeks ago, but he hasn't gotten online to approve the deal. Our roster cutdown is Wednesday at midnight (37 hours from now).

I have the power to complete this trade without the other owner's hand hitting the button, but I don't know if that's cool or not. We have a verbal agreement, and we're good friends so it's not like A) either of us is trying to cheat the other or B) either of us is lying, me especially.

If you were an owner in this league, and the Commish explained to you what I just explained, would you gripe about this trade? We have no "policy" on trade approval because we've never needed it before. We're all good friends and it's never been an issue, but then nothing like this has ever come up before.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sticky Trade Problem

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:56 am

I wouldn't mind it assuming that you are all friends or at least acquaintances. If you know each other, I am sure that everybody would understand. Basically, would you do this for two other owners provided you knew they both wanted the deal done.

And if you have phone numbers, it would be a good idea to call a couple of the people in your league and let them know what's about to happen. that's what I would do with it. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 pm

I wouldn't feel bad doing it as long as you were sure he was ok with it beforehand. The last thing you want is for him to come back and say he didn't really want to do the trade.

I don't think that you necessarily need to call any other league members to let them know what's going on. A league message board post or email should be enough.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:39 pm

onnestabe wrote:I wouldn't feel bad doing it as long as you were sure he was ok with it beforehand. The last thing you want is for him to come back and say he didn't really want to do the trade.

I don't think that you necessarily need to call any other league members to let them know what's going on. A league message board post or email should be enough.

I agree. It SHOULD be enough. Sometimes going the extra little bit can do a whole lot to make things smoother though.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Peacesells » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:45 pm

Go oldschool and 3 way call with another owner that is trusted to verify all parties agree to the trade. That's what I used to do before the internet was so popular and I wanted to make sure that people knew I wasn't abusing my Commish privileges.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:09 pm

To update, I'm doing my best to contact my friend via phone, but he hasn't replied to messages yet. He's pretty busy and may not be able to reply today, and since the deadline is tonight I have to make a decision.

My decision is, it's a fair deal, we agreed to it and between us a verbal agreement is good. I will put the trade through as commissioner and I will post a message to the league about the trade and why I'm doing it.

That will have to be good enough. If it's not, I'll be open to concerns. I suppose that's what I would do if anyone else was in this situation.

I think it bears noting that the guy I'm making this trade with was up until two weeks ago a pastor at my church. He took a call to be the head pastor at another church, which is why he moved, and why he's so busy now (they also have a school, which he has obligations to as well). So he has a reasonable amount of integrity and it would be pretty easy to assume I'm not in any way going to screw around with a good friend who also happens to be a minister. :-b

I'll let you know what my league says about this, in case anyone is wondering. Thanks for the advice, guys. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner