Strategy for entry draft of a keeper league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Strategy for entry draft of a keeper league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy for entry draft of a keeper league?

Postby DaDaDee » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:45 pm

Hello guys,

I have been playing Fantasy football for many years but always with an annual redraft of all the players.

This year, my friends and I will start a keeper league. We will be allowed to keep 3 players from the previous year. TD run, pass or thrown are worth 6 pts; 10 yds run or pass is 1 pt; 25 yds thrown is 1 pt.

Do you have tips and strategy on how to approach the draft in a keeper league? How much do the keeper format should change the ranking of my players? Would it be unwise to reach early (like 2nd round) for a young superstar in the making like Calvin Johnson, or Adrian Peterson?

I own the 10th spot in a 12 managers league. With the 10th pick I am hoping for (Addai, Parker, Maroney, Drew-Jones or Bush) and with the 17th pick, I am thinking (Benson, R.Brown, C.Palmer or Calvin Johnson). Obviously, If I go with either a WR or a QB in 2nd round, I will get a RB in the third.

Can you help?

Thanks
DaDaDee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy for entry draft of a keeper league?

Postby mthomas720 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Personally I have never been in a keeper league, but I would think draft strategy would be similar to a redraft. I wouldn't reach too far, Calvin Johnson in the 2nd is way too early. I think the difference would come when you are trying to choose between two players, and one of the is very young and the other is a veteran. In a keeper league you would obviously take the younger player. For example, you might want to stay away from Shaun Alexander, even if he somehow falls to you at 10, because he is getting older and is injury prone. I would mostly focus on drafting for this year, but keep an eye to the future by filling your bench with younger players who could break out this year and prove to be solid players in years to come.
Props to sigmaker for the sig

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattyboy11 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:43 pm

I play in a kepper league and a redraft league yearly, but since this is the first year of your keeper league, I would go like you normally would in a draft for the first 5-6 rounds. Then I'd start picking up a kepper or two then the reserves, kickers, etc. But that's just me. You should also play by how the draft goes. But you shouldn't reach for Calvin in the second round NO WAY. Pick a stud WR who's proven in the second round by all means if you wish. But I wouldn't reach for a rookie that early. And by the way, good luck in your draft.
mattyboy11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mesecher21 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:39 pm

With only keeping 3 players i wouldnt pick a lot of young players you are going to find that they are still 3 years away or so and you wont keep them anyway. Last year I had guys in my leagu take players like vince young and other promising rookies only to have them sit on the bench all year and end up right back in the draft pool this year anyway. I wouldnt take any unproven rookies in the first 5 rounds. You will be much happier taking proven players and taking chances on younger guys later.
mesecher21
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Beginner's Forum