Blind Golfer Makes Hole-In-One - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Blind Golfer Makes Hole-In-One

Moderator: Football Moderators

Blind Golfer Makes Hole-In-One

Postby sox 06 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:37 am

LEHIGHTON, Pa. (AP) - Sheila Drummond didn't need to see her hole-in-one. She heard it. Drummond, blinded by diabetes 26 years ago, experienced the highlight of her golfing career Sunday, recording an ace on the 144-yard, par-3 fourth hole at Mahoning Valley Country Club.

Playing with her husband and coach, Keith, and two friends in a steady rain, the 53-year-old Drummond hit a driver on the hole. The shot cleared a water hazard, flew between traps and landed on the green, where it hit the flagstick before dropping into the hole.

"They were saying, 'It's a great shot,' and then I heard it hit the pin," Drummond said.

"For a hole-in-one, you have to hit it onto the green, so it's a little bit of skill and a lot of luck."

In 1999, Golf Digest said the odds of an amateur getting a hole-in-one are 1 in 12,750. That number, no doubt rises, for a blind golfer.

Drummond is a member of the board of directors of the United States Blind Golfers Association, and the organization believes she is the first totally blind female to record a hole-in-one.

"We've looked everywhere, and haven't been able to find anyone else," she said.

Drummond took up golf about 15 years ago, and three years later qualified as the first female member of the USGBA.

"I just try to do the best I can," said Drummond, who carries a 48 handicap with the USGBA. "I get nervous.

"But I wasn't nervous (Sunday), I just don't like playing in the rain."

Drummond's hole-in-one was first reported on the Web site of The Morning Call of Allentown.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Blind Golfer Makes Hole-In-One

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:41 am

I'm glad I don't golf, because it would be seriously embarassing to have never had a hole in one, while some blind woman gets one. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:48 am

that's pretty cool. but stop playing golf in the rain. that's ridiculous.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby sox 06 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:51 am

beanoX3 wrote:I'm glad I don't golf, because it would be seriously embarassing to have never had a hole in one, while some blind woman gets one. :-b

I've been playing for about three years and I haven't had a hole in one yet. Come to think of it, I haven't even come close to getting one :-[ :-C
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby SJNez46 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:51 am

wow, that is amazing I suck at golf as it is. but to be blind, and get a hole in one. 8-o
^soty
SJNez46
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:28 am

i've had 2. i have a good friend that has 0 holes in one, but has 2 double eagles! 8-o :-L
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:02 am

I've had 1 but I might as well have been blind! The hole I got mine on has a large bunker in front of the green which also hides the green, so I couldn't see it roll in. When I walked up to the green I figured it must have rolled off the green but when I walked past the hole to check the back side of the green there was my ball in the cup!!! ;-D
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SniperShot » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:06 am

sox 06 wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:I'm glad I don't golf, because it would be seriously embarassing to have never had a hole in one, while some blind woman gets one. :-b

I've been playing for about three years and I haven't had a hole in one yet. Come to think of it, I haven't even come close to getting one :-[ :-C
I've been golfing for 10 years and the closest I ever came was 4 1/2 inches a couple years ago. Yeah I managed to make the putt for bird. :-b

Amazing story.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:12 am

Great story, good for her. ;-D

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:18 am

I've hit the pin 3 times Not that you have to be good to even hit the pin, mostly just dumb luck on my part, but I love to play ;D
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Next

Return to General Talk