Return to College Football

2007 Michigan thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2007 Michigan thread

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:43 pm

2007 BOBBY DODD COACH OF THE YEAR
Retired and relaxed Lloyd Carr receives Dodd coach of year award
BY MARK SNYDER • FREE PRES SPORTS WRITER • March 5, 2008

There are times when it's tough to be Lloyd Carr.

Like when you're in South Carolina to play golf, and the weather doesn't cooperate. You know, tough times like that.

Yet considering what the past 28 years have been like, you won't hear Carr complaining.

Michigan's football coach, who retired following the Wolverines' Jan. 1 Capital One Bowl victory, was honored Tuesday as the 2007 Bobby Dodd coach of the year at Livonia's Laurel Manor.

Dodd coached at Georgia Tech in 1945-66, rising from assistant coach to head coach, just like Carr. The award goes to a Division I football coach who represents integrity, scholarship and leadership.

It was a snowy night, yet friends, family and admirers -- including U-M's new coach Rich Rodriguez -- still came and Carr thanked them all, pointing out he always dreamed of this award, knowing the type of man Dodd was.

The mantra of his coaching career, what he continually preached to his players, slid into the closing of his acceptance speech, discussing what it means to be a Michigan man.

"It starts with a person who's willing to give themselves to a cause bigger than themselves," he said. "Everything else is negotiable."

ESPN analyst Bill Curry, who played for Dodd and is on the award's board of directors, gave a stirring introductory speech, pointing to last season, Carr's last at Michigan, instead of the 1997 national championship year.

Though many publicly savaged Carr for losing four games with a preseason top-five team, Curry saw it differently.

"The way Lloyd Carr handled himself after the first two games of this year was the finest example of leadership I've seen in our sport in a decade," Curry said.

Carr, now a U-M senior associate athletic director with no specific duties, is figuring out his new daily routine.

"It's an adjustment," Carr said. "Guys I've had relationships (with) for years and years and years -- they're gone. And I don't see the players every day, so you've got to get through that."

After 13 years as head coach and 15 as an assistant at Michigan, Carr created enough bonds to keep him busy, and he has spent the past two months helping his former staff members.

Lately, Carr has helped place former offensive coordinator Mike DeBord on the Seattle Seahawks' staff, linebackers coach Steve Szabo at Cornell, graduate assistant Kurt Anderson at Eastern Michigan and Marcus Ray as a Central Michigan graduate assistant.

His own two months have been leisurely: a visit with his friend Russell Crowe in Jacksonville, Fla., to see Crowe's rugby team play, and Thursday he will speak to a University of Georgia coaches clinic.

But there are no pressing deadlines in Carr's life, and that's what he signed up for when he retired.

"For five or six months, I just want to figure out what's out there. So I'm just trying to help Bill in any way I can," Carr said, referring to Michigan athletic director Bill Martin. "I've got an unbelievable amount of correspondence, and I need to get that answered. A thousand phone calls I have not gotten back to. I've got a lot of things to do to catch up.

"So that's fun."

Lloyd Carr, two weeks before spring football practice, smiling and relaxed.

This is a new life.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Seahawks hire ex-Wolverine assistant Mike DeBord
Associated Press

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- The Seattle Seahawks have hired Mike DeBord as a new offensive assistant, and signed tight end Jeb Putzier to a one-year contract.

DeBord spent the last two years as offensive coordinator at Michigan under Lloyd Carr. He spent 27 years total coaching in college, including 12 years at Michigan. He was also head coach at Central Michigan for four years.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:47 pm

Good for Carr. As much as I didn't think he was a great coach towards the end of his tenure, he always ran the program the right way, and for that, I have the utmost respect for him.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Psssst. Our bball team sucks.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Looks like Boren just left the team, thinning out the OL even more...
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080326/SPORTS06/803260386/&imw=Y
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:35 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Looks like Boren just left the team, thinning out the OL even more...
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080326/SPORTS06/803260386/&imw=Y

Aw, he couldn't get his fat a$$ back to the line of scrimmage (and the workouts were too hard) so he quits??? I'm sure he'll find a more sedentary offence somewhere that's more to his liking!

But Boren told much of the story 10 days earlier, following the team's first spring practice. He cited then the change in the offense and the grueling nature of the first workout.

He also mentioned the difficulty the offensive linemen had constantly running back to the line of scrimmage in the no-huddle offense.

:-P %-6 :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Boren shoots back..

From the Detroit News...
"I regret leaving behind my friends and teammates, but I need to stand up for what I know is right," Boren said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. "I wore the winged helmet with pride, whether we won or lost, whether things were going well or times were tough.

"Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together. I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. That same helmet, that I was raised on and proudly claimed for the last two years, now brings a completely different emotion to me, one that interferes with practicing and playing my best and mentally preparing for what is required.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:03 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Boren shoots back..

From the Detroit News...
"I regret leaving behind my friends and teammates, but I need to stand up for what I know is right," Boren said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. "I wore the winged helmet with pride, whether we won or lost, whether things were going well or times were tough.

"Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together. I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. That same helmet, that I was raised on and proudly claimed for the last two years, now brings a completely different emotion to me, one that interferes with practicing and playing my best and mentally preparing for what is required.

Wow. :-*

What the h**l is going on in Ann Arbor?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby CC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Since RR and Barwis arrived and Michigan has moved out of the "Gittleson's Country Club" strength and conditioning program where players are allowed to do as little as they choose, I get the feeling there could be more leaving. There was an exodus when RR came to WVU as well and that worked out nicely, so I am willing to take some lumps over the next year or two while we make the transition to the spread.

BTW, one of Ohio's top players for the class of '09 committed to UM today.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:47 pm

On another note, the Michigan hockey team (ranked #1 in the nation) just advanced to the frozen four ;-D

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to College Football