Football vs. Rugby - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Football vs. Rugby

Moderator: Football Moderators

Football vs. Rugby

Postby Popcynical » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:37 pm

Alright, so, I'm a member on another forum where the majority of its members are European. Whenever I mention American Football (you have to say American Football or they think you're talking about soccer), they start going on and on about how Rugby is so much better and how Americans are girly men because they have to wear pads to play their sports.

While I admit Rugby is pretty intense, Football is definitely not a 'girly sport'.

Any ideas on how to defend my favorite sport? Has anyone else stumbled across this Football vs. Rugby argument? What are your opinions.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Football vs. Rugby

Postby PMoneyTKE » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:45 pm

They just want an excuse to get in a scrum and feel each other up :-b
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:47 pm

Ask them what star Rugby players make over on the continent, then drop some NFL salaries on them. 'Nuff said. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Yeah..... there's nothing you can do to convince them of that. It's like arguing that our country is better than theres. They just won't believe you. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:58 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:Yeah..... there's nothing you can do to convince them of that. It's like arguing that our country is better than theres. They just won't believe you. :-b

...although we all know it's true.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:08 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:Yeah..... there's nothing you can do to convince them of that. It's like arguing that our country is better than theres. They just won't believe you. :-b

...although we all know it's true.

Of course.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Honestly I don't even really care what Europeans say about American football... Maybe Rugby is intense, and maybe it's more intense than football, but that doesn't make football any less of a sport as far as toughness and physicality goes.

From what I've heard, Rugby is a "country club" type sport. A sport for the privileged. That's what makes American football a great game- anyone can play it. That's why soccer is so popular, because it's so easy to play and so accessible to everyone.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:28 pm

As much as football is my favorite sport, rugby is just plain tougher. No pads, less breaks, more running, same amount of hard hitting. There isn't a valid argument other than football is tougher than most, but has to bow to rugby in toughness.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby roninmedia » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:40 pm

On a local sports talk show, there was a former college football player on who went to study over in Oxford after college. He was a defensive end so he was big but he could still run and he talked about he got recruited to play rugby and he said rugby was tougher than football.

The radio host, fitting the stereotypical mold of hating "Euro Sports" rephrased the question as "What's tougher? Rugby or a goal-line stand in the SEC (The player played for the University of Florida)?" The guy answered the latter. Football isn't girly man but I wouldn't say it's tougher than rugby.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:59 pm

roninmedia wrote:On a local sports talk show, there was a former college football player on who went to study over in Oxford after college. He was a defensive end so he was big but he could still run and he talked about he got recruited to play rugby and he said rugby was tougher than football.

The radio host, fitting the stereotypical mold of hating "Euro Sports" rephrased the question as "What's tougher? Rugby or a goal-line stand in the SEC (The player played for the University of Florida)?" The guy answered the latter. Football isn't girly man but I wouldn't say it's tougher than rugby.

My senior year of High School (holy crap that was a long time ago...) I elected not to play Rugby because I wanted to avoid any possibility of injury before the football season. In the end I would have been better served to avoid playing football and stuck with rugby instead. !+)

Rugby is a tough sport, but one of the things that having no pads does is makes the tackling LESS brutal in 95% of cases rather than more. Technique and wrapping up is so much more important in rugby as opposed to the brutal direct contact that is the center of tackling in football.

Now, in the rare direct collision tackles that I have seen and/or been involved in for both sports, for sure rugby takes the cake (I once saw a teammate faceplant a kid so hard he had grass stuck in his braces when he went to get up, and I have personally given a dude a grass-stain on the side of his head before) - but football is more brutal because those collisions occur with MUCH more frequency...

Stamina-wise, there is no argument that can be made to put football above rugby, rugby is much tougher in that regard.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk