Football vs. Rugby - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Football vs. Rugby

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Football vs. Rugby

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:36 am

Rugby's pretty popular up here in Canada - at my son's high school, the football team was disbanded many years ago and they now have rugby - a boy's team and a girl's team - seems to be popular for small town high schools (smaller teams and much cheaper since ya don't have to buy all that football gear).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 am

It's a tired tripe.

They use the pads argument, but most Euros and foreigners I have had this discussion with have no concept of how big and how explosive these guys are. They really don't, and there isn't convincing them of it. For as accusatory of American ignorance some pockets of the world can be, this is one issue where its just ignorant.

Rugby is a tough game, but the constant moving also lessons the blows, as no one is a sitting duck. And there seems to be more of an emphasis of wrapping up, and in football there is actual hitting.

Honestly, I find if funny that no one thinks hockey players are "girlie men" for wearing pads. But if you look at injury rates and career longevity, I don't see how anyone could argue against NFL being the "toughest."

I've also noticed that when backed into a corner, they point out stuff like stamina etc., which conflates the meaning of "tough." Acing Caluclus is "tough" but it doesn't make someone a bad-ass for doing so.

Of course having that kind of stamina is "tough" but no one winces in fear of the cardiovascular superstar either. Ohhhh marathon champion coming through, better give up your barstool.

It's just kind of a silly argument, as by any objective standard, NFL guys are tough as nails. But since you aren't talking to someone who is being objective, its not worth your breath.

Final note, I will say that I find it the height of bad manners to come here, then slam football. I'd never ever dream of going to europe and slam soccer (not that I would, but still). My gf has a friend who is from germany, and she does similar stuff all the time while here. And I'm like "why did you come then?"
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pats4four » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:42 pm

It's an arguement that I have constantly with my friends. I live in England and have played Rugby and all my friends argue how Football players are not as tough as they wear pads, helmets etc. I just show them the video of Sheldon Brown hitting Reggie Bush last season and they all go ouch!

Seriously though, Football players place an emphisis on 'hitting' as hard as possible and are not really concerned about wrapping up. In Rugby, you cannot just shoulder charge people because firstly, it's against the rules of the game and secondly, you're much likely to miss a tackle by just 'shoulder charging someone and a missed tackle in Rugby is punished much more severely than is the case in Football. In Rugby, guys defend one on one and come up in a line so if someone misses a tackle, the ball carrier just runs through towards the try line. In Football, you can get away with a missed tackle in some circumstances as there are other players that can make up for it.

In reply to guys who say no one is a sitting duck as players always move around there is some truth to that but aren't Football players always moving about too? In addition, when a player punts the ball in Football, the catcher can fair catch it so he doesn't get smashed by the gunner. In Rugby, there is no such thing as a fair catch so players will kick the ball real high and get their teammates to hit the guy catching the ball.

Finally, some guy joked of the scrum but the scrum is a dark and evil place... When the guys from each team smash into each other, that makes me thank my stars that I'm a back and not a forward. However, it would be interesting to watch a match in which NFL players played Rugby against Rugby players and then Rugby players played Football against NFL players.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:06 pm

well qbs are sitting ducks as are receivers going across the middle, and linemen being held up just so they can get whaled. Special teams is awful for that too. And no, football is stop start. In a fluid game like rugby or hockey, it lessons the blows somewhat (if not entirely). And as much as people refer to the helmet, its as much of a weapon as anything.

I'd be willing to bet that the "skill position" guys, provided with remedial training, would hold their own better than the inverse if playing against rugby guys. Don't get me wrong, rugby is awesome, but people who compare the two are missing the point. Rugby is closer to soccer with tackling, whereas football is hitting with a ballgame too. Its just different.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Just go with the time honored tradition of making fun of the person instead of addressing the argument tactic. ;-D
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk