Brett Favre........this year's Drew Brees??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brett Favre........this year's Drew Brees???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Brett Favre........this year's Drew Brees???

Postby Popcynical » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Eagle Baseball wrote:when I first saw the title I thought it read Brett Favre......this year's Drew Bledsoe. I think that has a better chance to come true than Favre becoming last year's Brees.

Very interesting comparison. Especially with Aaron Rodgers on the bench... if we do indeed struggle at the QB position, will people be calling for Rodgers to start?

I personally can't see this happening in Green Bay.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:23 pm

Popcynical wrote:
Eagle Baseball wrote:when I first saw the title I thought it read Brett Favre......this year's Drew Bledsoe. I think that has a better chance to come true than Favre becoming last year's Brees.

Very interesting comparison. Especially with Aaron Rodgers on the bench... if we do indeed struggle at the QB position, will people be calling for Rodgers to start?

It will only happen if Madden suddenly forgets who Favre is. Like total Favre amnesia or something. Favre will never be run out of Green Bay IMO. Not by fans, not by management, and not by the media.

You cheeseheads are stuck with Favre forever. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:57 pm

knapplc wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:and while the Bears lost few starters and has as we all know arguably the best D in the league, one of those starters they lost was very big, Thomas Jones, and Cedric Benson is both Injury Prone and without starting NFL experience, not mention with FedRex at the helm, anything could go wrong, and then again, everything could go right, we'll just have to wait and see, I'm gonna agree with pop and say The Pack has a shot at the North, and a decent shot at that. ;-D

Your two starting RBs, Morency and/or Brandon Jackson, are injury prone and both lack starting NFL experience. Your QB, while a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Fame guy, has thrown as many INTs as TDs lately, and is arguably no better than Grossman at this stage of his career. Further, he's not getting any younger and his injuries are starting to mount as well. Your WR corps is a mess, your TE is aged, and your coaching staff is unimpressive. I will grant that your D is one of the best in the NFC but even still they are not the same caliber as Chicago's which is at least part of the conversation of Best D in the League.

I'm willing to grant that Green Bay has a chance. With a good defense you're never out of any game. But realistically, they are no better than Detroit and may be worse, and they are not close to Chicago.

Whoa, I don't think that Green Bay is better than Chicago ATM, but are you seriously comparing Green Bay to Detroit? The only positions where Detroit can even claim they are better off at than Green Bay are quarterback, wide receiver, and possibly defensive line and safety (note that I don't know a ton about the last two, so if a knowledgable Bears or Packers fan thinks I'm wrong, I probably am). Other than that, it's either a wash or definitely in favor of Green Bay.

I think Chicago's defense alone puts them ahead of Green Bay, but that's assuming that their offense produces enough to carry them along. If neither Benson nor Grossman can prove that they should be starting in the NFL, then anything can happen.

And since when exactly is Green Bay's WR corps a mess? Driver quietly caught 92 passes for 1295 yards and 8 TDs last year, Jennings is productive when healthy, and James Jones has done nothing but impress people as a rookie and is already the #3 receiver. Moreover, how exactly is the Bears' WR corps any better? Muhsin Muhammed is well past his prime, Bernard Berrian is extremely inconsistent, and Mark Bradley is always injured. Even if Devin Hester becomes a threat, the Bears are no better off than Green Bay and are likely worse off.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:02 pm

as far as BJax being injury prone I don't really know anything about his injuries in college if he even had any, could someone shed some light? thanks. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:07 pm

I think the thing that most Favre detractors are missing, is that Favre has had no targets when he is making boneheaded mistakes. Donald Driver has been his #1 for 2 years now. Look back to when they had Driver + Walker for a full 16 and the guy looks like Carson Palmer. Legit WRs will do that for you.

Driver in reality is a #2. But he is a very good #2. Good enough to catch 90 for 1200, but not enough to elevate Favre to another level all by himself. Greg Jennings showed some "life outside of Driver" last year, but that was only for a short stretch before he got injured. Without that injury, maybe Jennings would have taken it to a Colston level and made Favre a top5 QB, who knows.

In the past, Ferguson and a bunch of scrubs were the #3 and they resulted in jack squat. Now Favre not only has Driver and a capable compliment to Driver in Jennings, they've also added this year's "star of training camp" in James Jones to the roster. Man, if that guy can come in an make an impact, let alone moderate production, the sky is the limit for Favre. This is gonna be a pass first team in 2007.

Top10 is damn near a lock for Favre IMO. The guy is money solid. And the reason he falls so far in drafts (old age, mistakes, lack of upside), might be a tad be premature with some weapons around him. Green Bay doesn't have to go to the Super Bowl to put up fantasy points.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:13 pm

bradley has played 2 years. and tore his acl.
he will be the best receiver on that team. he's the fastest receiver i have ever seen. great hands and instincts. don't write him off just yet. i think the wr corps between the two teams is about equal. the difference is in philosophy on offense and ability of the quarterbacks.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Popcynical wrote:

I know I won't be calling for Rodgers, I hope that the only time I see him is in scrub time when the Packers are up big %-6 Now, I'm not so sure people in Dallas had the same feeling about Drew Bledsoe and much more for Vikes and Brad Johnson. Unlike these two, Favre actually can throw the ball more than 10 yards at a time. I just want to see him go out on a high note, it'd only be better that way ;D
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:27 am

beanoX3 wrote:
Popcynical wrote:

It will only happen if Madden suddenly forgets who Favre is. Like total Favre amnesia or something. Favre will never be run out of Green Bay IMO. Not by fans, not by management, and not by the media.

You cheeseheads are stuck with Favre forever. :-b

LOL. Madden will forget when he has to pee long before he forgets who BrettFavre is. But maybe Brett can have some Favre-nesia. They could tell him his Joe Montana and then he could use his arm for winning games instead of self-destruction.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Popcynical » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:00 pm

I remember this thread!

:-b
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:15 am

Status is unknown, but if Vasher, Briggs, or Harris are out for an extended period, the Pack just became the class of the NFC North, and honestly, the way they're playing right now, I think they may be the best team in the NFC. It's gotta be between them, the Cowboys, and the Eagles IF McNabb is returning to form (it WAS the Lions, after all)

But if you cripple the Chicago D, you're talking about a veeeeeeeeery different team than when this thread was started, and you'd surely be correct in thinking the Pack will be on top by the end of the year.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk