Draft Order Suggestions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Draft Order Suggestions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Order Suggestions

Postby Memetic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:38 pm

My draft is this sunday and i need some opinions on my draft order i am going to use, My starting players are

1 QB
1RB
1 RB/WR Flex
2 WR
1TE
1 Defensive player
1 Team Defense
1 K

We are doing a 16 round draft and this is the order i think i am going to go with, what does everyone else think???

RB
RB
QB
WR
WR
RB
WR
TE
QB
DP (Defensive player)
RB
WR
TE
D (team defense)
WR
K
Memetic
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Order Suggestions

Postby latraffic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 pm

You're drafting a QB too high. If you don't go for Manning in round 1 (which you have correctly slated for a RB), he will be gone and no other QB is worth taking until the 4th or 5th round. Instead, I suggest something like #1 RB, #1 WR, #2 RB, #2 WR, #3 RB or #1 QB, #1QB or #3WR or TE (Gates or Heap basically)... the "or" reflect taking the best of the available options. I'd rather have a quality third back before a QB but if the backs have been gobbled up, you do what you can.

Also, don't draft a second TE. You can get a one-week-wonder for him to cover the bye of the wire and use that draft pick for a sleeper RB or WR.

Good luck.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagofmilk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:18 am

TWO THINGS:

1) Its important to know your scoring.

2) You can't automatically say that you are going to draft RB, RB, ...etc... when you are not sure about what your DRAFT POSITION is. For example, If you are drafting 8th or 9th and you have standard scoring you will *probably* benefit from drafting Peyton Manning over an RB.
bagofmilk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FirstAnd99 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:43 pm

I agree with what was said earlier. Taking a QB that high isn't a great idea imo. You can find almost the same QB (stat wise) during later rounds. I usually try not to "pick" a QB, but rather to let a QB "fall" to me. What I mean is that I'll take a QB like Kitna later in the draft rather than trying to over reach for a QB like Brees or Brady. This gives you a chance to get a top WR or RB2.

I'd say a good draft order for the first few rounds could be something like:
RB, WR, RB, WR
or
RB, RB, WR, WR

for the 5th pick I'd go with QB or RB (flex) or WR (flex) or someone like Gates. Just depends on who's left and what other positions are filled on other teams

Basically, I just dont like overreaching for a QB when one can be taken later with almost the same value as a top QB
FirstAnd99
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Memetic » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:35 pm

awesome thanks for the tips

i am 5th overall out of 10 teams so i will probably go

1-RB
2-RB
3-WR
4-WR
5-QB/TE/RB/WR depending on who is gone in each position
Memetic
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby latraffic » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:13 pm

Ah... tis a beautiful thing! Another happy Cafe customer. Good luck on your draft. ;-D
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby timnew » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:33 pm

I know this may sound like a lot of work, but I just completed our 10 team 16 round draft. I did a spreadsheet that organized the draft options for the number of players I anticipated needing. I then took the highest rated player other than QB or K until I filled my needs.

So in one column I had the Top 160 players regardless of position. I then had columns beside that one that listed RBS, WRS, QB, TE, etc and matched that players ranking with the master list in Column A. So if Peyton Manning was the best QB available with a Fantasy Point Value of 301 and that was the 4th highest Fantasy Point total for any player, I had Peyton #4 on my list in Column A and he was the first QB in the QB column but he was aligned level with the 4th position. That way I could get a sense of how far the draft the next best QB was.

But there is less a gap in QBS (especially after Peyton) than RBS and WRS so I was prepared NOT to draft a QB early unless it was Peyton and I would defer on him until Rd 2 unless I had a low 1st rd pick then I might have taken him. I didn't get to in our draft since the person drafting 2nd took him. I was drafting 4th and took Stephen Jackson after the person in front of me opted for Gore.

You have to be prepared to react to what is available. If you take a RB in the first Rd and in the 2nd a RB with a higher value is there than any WR, take the 2nd RB. IF a WR is ranked higher on your draft board, take the WR.

Take a look at the cheat sheets available online at places like ESPN and FFtoday that rank overall and by position.

BUT also pay attention to BYE weeks (shown on FFtodays cheat sheet and maybe the others). You don't want all of your backup players at a position having the same Bye as your planned #1.

Memetic wrote:My draft is this sunday and i need some opinions on my draft order i am going to use, My starting players are

1 QB
1RB
1 RB/WR Flex
2 WR
1TE
1 Defensive player
1 Team Defense
1 K

We are doing a 16 round draft and this is the order i think i am going to go with, what does everyone else think???

RB
RB
QB
WR
WR
RB
WR
TE
QB
DP (Defensive player)
RB
WR
TE
D (team defense)
WR
K
timnew Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Memetic » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:11 am

Well the draft is complete and i ended up with

SLOT PLAYER TEAM POS
QB Vince Young Ten QB
RB Joseph Addai Ind RB
RB/WR Ronnie Brown Mia RB
WR Chad Johnson Cin WR
WR Larry Fitzgerald Ari WR
TE Benjamin Watson NE TE
DP DeMeco Ryans Hou LB
D/ST Cowboys D/ST Dal
K Robbie Gould Chi K
Bench Jamal Lewis Cle RB
Bench Laveranues Coles NYJ WR
Bench LaMont Jordan Oak RB
Bench Vincent Jackson SD WR
Bench Philip Rivers SD QB
Bench Brandon Jones Ten WR
Bench A.J. Hawk GB LB

I think my only weak link is Jamal Lewis but i am satisfied with the team as a whole...
Memetic
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Memetic » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:29 am

Now i have a 14 person live draft tomorrow, think it would be wise to go with the same set up?

RB
RB
WR
WR
QB
Memetic
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby timnew » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:40 pm

Weak Link is QB Vince Young. Great Athlete but playing without any proven offensive help. No proven WR or RB. Ten is also playing one of the toughest schedules defensively.

Rivers is probably a better starter for you. Better players around him to throw the ball to and plays a much easier schedule overall.

Jamal should have a very solid season as long as he is healthy.

Memetic wrote:Well the draft is complete and i ended up with

SLOT PLAYER TEAM POS
QB Vince Young Ten QB
RB Joseph Addai Ind RB
RB/WR Ronnie Brown Mia RB
WR Chad Johnson Cin WR
WR Larry Fitzgerald Ari WR
TE Benjamin Watson NE TE
DP DeMeco Ryans Hou LB
D/ST Cowboys D/ST Dal
K Robbie Gould Chi K
Bench Jamal Lewis Cle RB
Bench Laveranues Coles NYJ WR
Bench LaMont Jordan Oak RB
Bench Vincent Jackson SD WR
Bench Philip Rivers SD QB
Bench Brandon Jones Ten WR
Bench A.J. Hawk GB LB

I think my only weak link is Jamal Lewis but i am satisfied with the team as a whole...
timnew Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum