Comcast? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Comcast?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Comcast?

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:23 am

beanoX3 wrote:Currently using ATT/Yahoo DSL and its not that bad, especially for the price.

Was with ATT/Yahoo DSL myself and had no problems at all. ;-D

Recently moved and now have the new AT&T Fiber. B-)

To get back on point though, I thought Time Warner bought Comcast?....Am I misinformed? If it's true, I've heard nothing but negativity about Time Warner's cable, so I do feel bad for you guys and hope there's some better alternatives to switch to soon :-o .

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:50 am

Madison wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:Currently using ATT/Yahoo DSL and its not that bad, especially for the price.

To get back on point though, I thought Time Warner bought Comcast?....Am I misinformed? If it's true, I've heard nothing but negativity about Time Warner's cable, so I do feel bad for you guys and hope there's some better alternatives to switch to soon :-o .

I hadn't heard anything about Time Warner buying Comcast, but that would explain the problems because Warner is absolutely junk.
*I created this sig!
CrashOverrid3
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 am

eagles21 wrote:And they make you pay for NFL network (even though it's a very good deal at about 2 bucks more a month). But still. :-t

sigh...i need to call and sign up for that soon
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:56 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
eagles21 wrote:And they make you pay for NFL network (even though it's a very good deal at about 2 bucks more a month). But still. :-t

sigh...i need to call and sign up for that soon

I would, but I'm tired of giving them money for "extras"
*I created this sig!
CrashOverrid3
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:25 am

beanoX3 wrote:I'm sitting here in Chicago, just waiting for the fiber stuff. :-C

Currently using ATT/Yahoo DSL and its not that bad, especially for the price. ATT has also been running commercials lately, pointing out that Comcast's triple play thing is a promotion only, and that their high regular prices kick in after a few months, which is funny to me. I've used Comcast before (not much choice in that though, since they are the only cable company here) and its cost and hassle just wasn't worth it. A bit slower speed is definitely worth it to me, for the lower price.

And there has been some kind of petition or something in Illinois, trying to get the government to bring in some competition for Comcast. It's been kicking around for a year at least now, but I don't think its going anywhere. They do leave annoying messages on my home phone though, badgering me to badger my congressman in turn, lol.

LMAO. Let me preface this by saying that I work for Comcast but I am objective, if anything. Where to start?? ATT is saying that Comcast's prices are just promos?? Are their's not?? That's such a joke. Most services that you get offer a promo. I know nothing about their prices but I guarantee you that you will pay less today than you will 1 or 2 years from now. DirecTV was the same way when I had them. DishNet?? Same way. I had to move back to a Cablevision area recently and guess what?? I got a promo. As for the promos ending in "a few months", that is just wrong. I am going by NJ practices so some of this might be wrong for your area but what exactly is a few months?? Comcast's standard Triple Play promo is 1 year. If you do nothing other than sign up for their services, you get a 12 month promo. There are 3 main options. A $99/month option, a $129.99/month option, and a $159.99/month option. Again, 12 months. They recently also added something called a 2 year price guarantee. Basically a contract. Not necessary but allows the customer the option of keeping the lower rate for a longer period. Once the "promo" is over, they also get a BOB (bottom of the bill) discount. Amount varies depending on promo.

Their internet price is more if you have no other services. I understand their reasoning although I have fought with management on this. As you mentioned, you pay more and get a slower speed. What I tell all of my customers who want internet only is for them to also get limited basic TV service as well. It actually costs them a little less and they get something (some TV and faster internet service) for their $$. It might also allow them to shave some $$ off of their dish bill, if they have a dish.

Bringing competition into the area is easier said than done. The concept is great but you need to look at the big picture. I will use my area as an example. Cablevision is the cable company in my town and the next town over. Comcast has most of the state and a lot of the neighboring areas. I was on the cable committee years ago and they all complained about having a Comcast rep come in to discuss options. The nuts and bolts of it are this. Cablevision owns the cable lines in my town. If Comcast wanted to come in, they would have 2 options. They could run their own lines or they could lease the lines from Cablevision. Do you have any idea how much this would cost?? Do you have any idea who would pick up the tab of this cost?? I'll give you a hint. It starts with a Y and rhymes with blue.

Madison wrote:

Comcast is the largest cable company in the country and is always rumored to be taking others over. I saw it the other way around. They were rumored to be buying Time Warner and Cablevision.

Just wanted to add something about Verizon and their new FiOS product. You know. The crazy psychodelic van and the annoying kid. Well, I know a few things about it that I would like to add. They are acting like they are the first to offer fiber optic lines. That's just not true. Most cable companies of note have had that for 20 or so years. Now, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Their picture and sound is spectacular. They have a lot of technical issues that is to be expected from a new service. Their internet service is fast. Probably speeds not necessary for most but still fast. You also get their standard phone service. Their DVR service is awesome but is very expensive. You can record shows on 1 box and watch them on another box in the home. They offer a promo as well. How long?? 12 months. I am pretty sure that you have to pay for every box. Taxes?? I forget the jargon but Verizon charges their customers much more in taxes than cable companies. 1 last thing.......They come out and put a box on the outside of your home to run the cables from. After 1 year, it is the customer's responsibility should anything go wrong with that. If you ever change services and want to keep Verizon's phone service, they need to come out to switch it back over. I forget the amount but it's not cheap.

The bottom line is that they all have their pros and cons. If you feel that Verizon or DTV or whatever is a better option, go for it. Just remember that the grass isn't always greener. I have yet to see a beginning offer that wasn't a promo.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:I'm sitting here in Chicago, just waiting for the fiber stuff. :-C

Currently using ATT/Yahoo DSL and its not that bad, especially for the price. ATT has also been running commercials lately, pointing out that Comcast's triple play thing is a promotion only, and that their high regular prices kick in after a few months, which is funny to me. I've used Comcast before (not much choice in that though, since they are the only cable company here) and its cost and hassle just wasn't worth it. A bit slower speed is definitely worth it to me, for the lower price.

And there has been some kind of petition or something in Illinois, trying to get the government to bring in some competition for Comcast. It's been kicking around for a year at least now, but I don't think its going anywhere. They do leave annoying messages on my home phone though, badgering me to badger my congressman in turn, lol.

LMAO. Let me preface this by saying that I work for Comcast but I am objective, if anything. Where to start?? ATT is saying that Comcast's prices are just promos?? Are their's not?? That's such a joke. Most services that you get offer a promo. I know nothing about their prices but I guarantee you that you will pay less today than you will 1 or 2 years from now. DirecTV was the same way when I had them. DishNet?? Same way. I had to move back to a Cablevision area recently and guess what?? I got a promo. As for the promos ending in "a few months", that is just wrong. I am going by NJ practices so some of this might be wrong for your area but what exactly is a few months?? Comcast's standard Triple Play promo is 1 year. If you do nothing other than sign up for their services, you get a 12 month promo. There are 3 main options. A $99/month option, a $129.99/month option, and a $159.99/month option. Again, 12 months. They recently also added something called a 2 year price guarantee. Basically a contract. Not necessary but allows the customer the option of keeping the lower rate for a longer period. Once the "promo" is over, they also get a BOB (bottom of the bill) discount. Amount varies depending on promo.

Their internet price is more if you have no other services. I understand their reasoning although I have fought with management on this. As you mentioned, you pay more and get a slower speed. What I tell all of my customers who want internet only is for them to also get limited basic TV service as well. It actually costs them a little less and they get something (some TV and faster internet service) for their $$. It might also allow them to shave some $$ off of their dish bill, if they have a dish.

Bringing competition into the area is easier said than done. The concept is great but you need to look at the big picture. I will use my area as an example. Cablevision is the cable company in my town and the next town over. Comcast has most of the state and a lot of the neighboring areas. I was on the cable committee years ago and they all complained about having a Comcast rep come in to discuss options. The nuts and bolts of it are this. Cablevision owns the cable lines in my town. If Comcast wanted to come in, they would have 2 options. They could run their own lines or they could lease the lines from Cablevision. Do you have any idea how much this would cost?? Do you have any idea who would pick up the tab of this cost?? I'll give you a hint. It starts with a Y and rhymes with blue.

Madison wrote:

Comcast is the largest cable company in the country and is always rumored to be taking others over. I saw it the other way around. They were rumored to be buying Time Warner and Cablevision.

Just wanted to add something about Verizon and their new FiOS product. You know. The crazy psychodelic van and the annoying kid. Well, I know a few things about it that I would like to add. They are acting like they are the first to offer fiber optic lines. That's just not true. Most cable companies of note have had that for 20 or so years. Now, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Their picture and sound is spectacular. They have a lot of technical issues that is to be expected from a new service. Their internet service is fast. Probably speeds not necessary for most but still fast. You also get their standard phone service. Their DVR service is awesome but is very expensive. You can record shows on 1 box and watch them on another box in the home. They offer a promo as well. How long?? 12 months. I am pretty sure that you have to pay for every box. Taxes?? I forget the jargon but Verizon charges their customers much more in taxes than cable companies. 1 last thing.......They come out and put a box on the outside of your home to run the cables from. After 1 year, it is the customer's responsibility should anything go wrong with that. If you ever change services and want to keep Verizon's phone service, they need to come out to switch it back over. I forget the amount but it's not cheap.

The bottom line is that they all have their pros and cons. If you feel that Verizon or DTV or whatever is a better option, go for it. Just remember that the grass isn't always greener. I have yet to see a beginning offer that wasn't a promo.

do you have any pull to get the "Just Ask Zak" ad campaign axed? that kid (and just above him the ad exec in charge) are slowly climbing up my list of people i most want to see raveged by wild dogs...i think he's somewhere in between Rachel Ray and Rosie O'Donnel
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:58 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:
Currently using ATT/Yahoo DSL and its not that bad, especially for the price.

Don't have Verizon FiOS and don't plan to get it.

I got an internet/cable package by going with AT&T's Fiber though. $74 per month, 200 crystal clear channels, Showtime, TMC, Encore, Starz, etc, Free Video on Demand, pay video on demand, and internet that goes faster than I need (I've got good, solid computers but every computer has a top speed and this internet is blazing fast). Also the internet connection can be either wireless or wired and is totally secure and locked down. Oh, 1 year deal and a guarantee on the second year at the same price with the exception of the movie channels. They are like $12 extra per month at the end of one year and they told me about it before I ever signed up.

Also, they totally re-wired the entire apartment, set up a box in the closet, set up the main box that has a main control for all 3 receivers and the internet, the 3 receivers themselves, 3 universal remotes that control everything (TV, VCR, DVD, Cable Box, etc), 1 receiver is also a DVR with 130 hours of record time on it, HD cables for one television, any and all wires and connectors, and it didn't cost me one red cent. Totally and completely free install.

One small drawback and it's temporary - No pay-per-view for the big stuff yet (UFC, WWE, etc). They are working on it and say it will be fully ready soon (couple of months).

Granted, if I ever cancel, I have to return the 3 receivers and the main box along with the remotes, but I don't plan on ever cancelling it. Had it a month now and I'm very happy with it. :-)

I've been suggesting to everyone I know to sign up for it once it's available in their area, and if it's already available, get it. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:41 pm

Sweet Madison I will check that out, thanks for the info!
*I created this sig!
CrashOverrid3
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Hey Madison can you tell me what package that is or link me to it, cause I called AT&T and she was a bit confused as to what I was asking.

I really love the sound of that package however I need to ask questions.

such as is TV cable, fiber or satellite? etc (I'd rather not get satellite because I am in Michigan and the weather is retarded).
Last edited by CrashOverrid3 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*I created this sig!
CrashOverrid3
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Wow if you lived in my house for a few days, you would think that Comcast is the devil. I really dont have anything to add that hasnt already been said about them. Next week I have the 6th "Tech" in 4 mos coming out to try to fix my internet (only works late at night and very early morning), DVR (rarely works), HD channels (dont work 1/2 the time). The only positive is that I have been getting a credit every month so far from full credit to at least the internet. The time has come though for it to freaking work though. :-P :-P :-P

Anyway I can find out if that Verizon thingie is coming to my area??

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk