2007 Florida Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2007 Florida Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2007 Florida Thread

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:32 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I heard something about Meyer being investigated for something against the rules in recruiting last year? Anyone know anything about this?

It was for this year. He called Carl Moore's g/f a bunch of times and told her he would get her into the gymnastics (or golf, I forget) program at Florida and get her a scholarship if Moore came to UF. Moore and her are both now at Florida and enrolled.

The school is taking action before the NCAA does.

We actually just talked about this in sports law today

Thanks for clearing that up, I was wondering about that.

Sports law actually sounds like a really cool class also ;-D

I took the undergrad class at UF. I'm in sport ethics now. Both are pretty fun. My favorite class though was "Coaching Football" which was taught by a UF assistant coach.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Florida Today has learned that the NCAA, after meeting with UF officials, have not found any rules violations at this time in the recruitment of junior college wide receiver Carl Moore and gymnast Maranda Smith.

"Allegations about impermissible telephone calls by the football staff have been reviewed by the NCAA and University and at this time the information does not indicate any violations of NCAA rules occurred,''
UF Spokesman Steve McClain told Florida Today on Tuesday.

UF officials discussed the issue prior to national signing day with NCAA officials. McClain would not confirm details of the discussion.

The recruiting practices in question included Florida coach Urban Meyer contacting Moore's girlfriend, Smith, while both were attending Sierra (Calif.) Community College last fall. Smith also signed with UF as a gymnast. Since both were junior college recruits, they are already enrolled in school.

At question was whether Meyer violated an NCAA rule by contacting an athlete the Gators were recruiting in another sport.

The second issue the SEC looked at was Meyer possibly handing a cell phone to quarterback Tim Tebow to talk to Moore right after winning the Heisman. Current athletes at schools are supposed to contact recruits on their own, not at the encouragement of coaches.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:56 pm

Florida basketball is so bad.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:49 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:Florida basketball is so bad.

That was crazy. Get out to a big lead and than get smoked :-P
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:57 am

deerayfan072 wrote:

They just have no athleticism. You can't expect to be able to run with the athletes that Tenn has with this year's team. That was just a poor game plan IMO.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:11 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

They just have no athleticism. You can't expect to be able to run with the athletes that Tenn has with this year's team. That was just a poor game plan IMO.

Florida not being able to run with someone...after last season of football, that's something that seems foreign to me. :-b

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Florida not being able to run with someone...after last season of football, that's something that seems foreign to me. :-b

running with your wide outs had nothing to do with it. They just don't know where they are running to !+)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:42 am

deerayfan072 wrote:

running with your wide outs had nothing to do with it. They just don't know where they are running to !+)

I wasn't being sarcastic or making a Capital 1 bowl reference. I was merely stating that it's ironic that what FL's football team's strength (speed) is a weakness for basketball.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:02 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic or making a Capital 1 bowl reference. I was merely stating that it's ironic that what FL's football team's strength (speed) is a weakness for basketball.

oh. :-b !+) :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:16 pm

Florida hires former Iowa State coach McCarney on defensive staff
Feb. 8, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida added former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney to its defensive coaching staff Friday.

The 54-year-old was at the helm at Iowa State for 12 seasons before spending 2007 at the South Florida as an assistant head coach. He now takes that position in Gainesville.

Florida coach Urban Meyer called McCarney a "great addition."

"His experience as a head coach will be invaluable. He has a proven record as a recruiter and a development of talent and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a coach and a person," Meyer said in a statement Friday.

The 30-year collegiate coaching veteran led Iowa State to five bowl games and was the Big 12 Coach of the Year in 2004.

The Iowa native is the winningest coach in Iowa State history. At USF, McCarney mentored defensive end George Selvie, who was an All-American as a sophomore and a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski and Ted Hendricks Awards. During his tenure in Wisconsin, the school claimed its first Big 10 title in 31 years.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to College Football