2007 PAC 10 official Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2007 PAC 10 official Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2007 PAC 10 official Thread

Postby Cards24 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:41 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Got a kick out of seeing the pic on azentral showing where ASU fans/students tried to tear down the goal posts after beating Cal. C'mon! 2-consecutive loss Cal! ASU fans, collectively, are some of the most ridiculous fans I've ever met. When the team does poorly or average, you hear very little about them, even on the local sports radio, but gosh, if they have a great season, like this year, or like '96, the bandwagoners go out of their minds and local radio actually talks about them. The pro teams' fans, Suns and Coyotes, seem to have more loyalty, win or lose, than the college team. I just think its funny that the ASU fans here dont understand how to act/handle prosperity. I remember that after that '96 season, by the '98 season, you couldnt give away a ticket to an ASU football game.

Welcome to a big city sports market! You will get bandwagon fans in EVERY sport. On the positive side, if thats the only thing you can find wrong with Arizona State, It means the team looks good thus far! I dont know, maybe you had to go on a rant after you heard Kemonte Bateman and Jarrell Barbour commited with us instead of Nebraska :-b
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:11 pm

Cards24 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Got a kick out of seeing the pic on azentral showing where ASU fans/students tried to tear down the goal posts after beating Cal. C'mon! 2-consecutive loss Cal! ASU fans, collectively, are some of the most ridiculous fans I've ever met. When the team does poorly or average, you hear very little about them, even on the local sports radio, but gosh, if they have a great season, like this year, or like '96, the bandwagoners go out of their minds and local radio actually talks about them. The pro teams' fans, Suns and Coyotes, seem to have more loyalty, win or lose, than the college team. I just think its funny that the ASU fans here dont understand how to act/handle prosperity. I remember that after that '96 season, by the '98 season, you couldnt give away a ticket to an ASU football game.

Welcome to a big city sports market! You will get bandwagon fans in EVERY sport. On the positive side, if thats the only thing you can find wrong with Arizona State, It means the team looks good thus far! I dont know, maybe you had to go on a rant after you heard Kemonte Bateman and Jarrell Barbour commited with us instead of Nebraska :-b

Not really sure what youre implying that I was whining about. :-? Just stating how ASU fans dont understand when the appropriate times are to tear down a goal posts and how bandwagonish they are. Most AZ fans even admit this to be true. (No, its not like that everywhere.) I've been in Phoenix now for 19 years, but thanks for the belated welcome. (Are you older than 19? Maybe I should be welcoming you. :-b O:-) )
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cards24 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:59 pm

Ok so here are the facts,
Goal posts were NEVER torn down (trust me I was there, until the field was cleared ;)), The student section (not bandwagon fans) rushed the field and climbed the uprights.

The reason why the students rushed the field was because

- ASU has not beaten Cal since 2000!!!
- 8-0, if you havent heard there is only 5 teams in the NCAA that are undefeated, (Also the last time ASU was 8-0 was in '96)
- With ucla's loss ASU is officially #1 in the pac-10 standings this week
- This is a team that no one (including myself) in our wildest dreams would think they would run the table @ 8-0 so far. Preseason I would have told you that I would be thrilled to see this team at 5-3 at this time of the year.
-ASU beat a very tough Cal team

As a season ticket holder for over 10 years (football and basketball) and a yearly contributer to the Sun Angel Foundation it was great to see the students rush the field. After the dirk coetter experiment we were way overdue for something like this. Not to mention was great for recruiting. We had some impressive top rated recruits visiting this Saturday and one even decomitted with ucla and commited with ASU :-)

Out of all people, you living in Phoenix should know the significance of this win and should not second guess why the students rushed the field.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:35 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree, Cards. :-)
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:18 pm

With Florida completely out of the picture now I've been pulling for ASU to take it all. I've always had a soft spot for them, love the campus out there (even though they're still nagging me for a parking ticket they're trying to charge me 65 bucks for), etc. However, I think you're fighting an uphill battle on this one Cards.

This applies to Oregon as well. But I can't believe either of these teams rushed the fields after their wins this week. Both top 10 teams that were favored in their games. Hell, Oregon's been in and out of the top 10 for 4 years now, so there's especially no excuse in their case.

Rushing the field is something that should be reserved for small schools that magically upset a top 10 team that's been pounding them by 40 points for 4 decades. Now, I understand that ASU and Oregon have been getting beaten up by Cal and USC (respectively) for quite a few years now but c'mon. Georgia hates Florida, they've hated them for 100 years, and they've been getting beaten up by Florida for a decade and a half and they didn't rush the field this weekend.

It's a shame that it's a pair of teams that I think so highly of this year, because my general feeling is that if you rush the field you're pretty much a joke. Generally, good teams don't rush the field, because you rush the field when you win a game that you have no business being in. And to be frank, top 10 teams shouldn't feel like they had no business being in games against mediocre opponents.

Like I said, it's a shame because I was pulling for these teams this year. I wanted to see them beat down an overrated team like BC. Now, I just want to see at least one game where they get flattened and I can see their fans sitting in the stands looking like they want to jump off a bridge.

As for the bandwagon thing, it is true that every team has bandwagon fans. However, ASU is probably the most widely renowned for it outside of any other team in college football except Notre Dame. These fans made me quite a bit of money within the last 5 years or so, betting against them at home when they are bad (and getting more points for homefield advantage than their fans will actually give them) and betting on them on the road when they are bad (at which point they're used to not having a lot of people behind them and are giving up too many points).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:13 pm

If you get a big win like that rushing the field is alright in my opinion. Tearing down the goal posts is going to far though and that luckily didn't happen.

ASU still has to play Oregon at Oregon which is a daunting task.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Is Carpenter going to play against Oregon
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:10 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Is Carpenter going to play against Oregon

Nothing's been reported at this point that he wont be.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:01 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Is Carpenter going to play against Oregon

Nothing's been reported at this point that he wont be.

This is from yesterday...
The Associated Press wrote:TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter threw in practice Wednesday for the first time since he sprained the thumb on his throwing hand.

Carpenter is expected to play when the Sun Devils (No. 4 BCS, No. 6 AP) visit Oregon (No. 5 BCS, No. 4 AP) on Saturday.

"I thought he threw it real well," coach Dennis Erickson said.

Carpenter sprained his thumb handing off to tailback Keegan Herring in ASU's 31-20 victory over California last weekend.

Carpenter wore a glove on his throwing hand in practice so he could grip the ball better. Erickson said he doubted Carpenter would use the glove in Oregon.

"Today he wanted to use it, so that's fine," Erickson said.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Previous

Return to College Football