First year in fantasy football-What do you folks think? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

First year in fantasy football-What do you folks think?

Moderator: Football Moderators

First year in fantasy football-What do you folks think?

Postby scr » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 am

I'm brand new to fantasy football, just had my draft yesterday. what do you folks think?
(14 team league)

QB: Palmer
WR: Holt
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Kennison
RB: Alexander
RB: McAllister
TE: Gonzalez (KC)
K: Keating
DEF: Chargers

Reserves:
QB: Vince Young
WR: Ginn
WR: Wilford
RB: Dayne
RB: Pittman

I just went by ratings and avg. draft position. Thanks in advance.
scr
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First year in fantasy football-What do you folks think?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:38 pm

You've got 2 solid QB's so I'm guessing you pulled the trigger on them too early as the rest of your team is not very strong. Your starting RB's, Alexander & McAllister are good but you have no depth - Dayne & Pittman aren't starters - you should have grabbed at least 1 more starter. You really have only one stud WR in Holt - Calvin will be good, but first year WR's rarely produce great numbers, and the rest are nothing special. TE, K, and D are all good.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mthomas720 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Calvin Johnson is a #3 WR at best, so it looks like you're a little weak at WR. RBs are decent but not great. As stomperrob said you probably went too early on your QBs since you have 2 strong ones. Maybe you can try to trade Young for an upgrade at WR? Not bad overall.
Props to sigmaker for the sig

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby scr » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:13 am

I dropped Ginn and Wilford and picked up James & Jacoby Jones off the WW. It's my first year, so I know I have alot of learning to do. Thanks for your help!
scr
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:49 pm

scr wrote:I dropped Ginn and Wilford and picked up James & Jacoby Jones off the WW. It's my first year, so I know I have alot of learning to do. Thanks for your help!

Stick with the Cafe and you'll learn tons. By this time next year you'll be giving advice. ;-D

I don't know that Jacoby Jones is necessarily an upgrade over Ginn, and it depends on which James you're talking about (if you got Edge that's great, but I doubt he's on your WW).

I also would try to trade Vince Young, but that's because I'm really not all that confident in him this year.

Other than WR and no RB depth you're looking good. If Alexander and McAllister don't get hurt you may be OK. But watch the waiver wire for wide receivers who may come out of the woodwork to have good seasons.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Beginner's Forum