Eclipse Tonight - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Eclipse Tonight

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Eclipse Tonight

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:24 pm

knapplc wrote:
Popcynical wrote:I think that two moons thing is just a hoax.

It is just a hoax, and it's a hoax that's been around for years and years (I think I first got that email in 2001?). I have never understood why this one is so "believable" for so many people, but then I guess most folks just don't think about the vast distances in space between our planet and the next one over.

Yeh, key words - guess I never really stopped to ponder it when I got that e-mail yesterday. And I fell asleep before the eclipse!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Last edited by josebach on Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:09 pm

I think that's an old or doctored pic. :-?

Mars wasn't really supposed to be large and visible that night. That was a hoax. I know that I didn't see anything but the moon.

It looked more like this here:

joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:14 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I think that's an old or doctored pic. :-?

Mars wasn't really supposed to be large and visible that night. That was a hoax. I know that I didn't see anything but the moon.

I added a link... for what it's worth.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:18 pm

josebach wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:I think that's an old or doctored pic. :-?

I added a link... for what it's worth.

Thanks man. I think that was probably on August 27, 2003. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 pm

All you have to do is think and the Mars Hoax quickly becomes one of the most foolish things you've ever heard. For Mars to appear that large wouldn't it have to get substantially CLOSER to earth?

The closest distance from Mars to Earth could be as little as 36 million miles or as great as 250 million miles. In 2005 it was at one point it was 43 million miles away which would make it brighter than most stars in the sky. It would glow and flicker orange easily identifiable in the night sky. Venus gets brightest though usually in late June I think for the Northern Hemisphere.

If Mars ever appeared nearly as large as the moon it would have to be within a million miles of the earth. This would greatly effect our tides and gravitational pull possibly causing a major imbalance in our gravitational and centripetal forces. For Mars to even appear twice as large as it usually does it would have to be 20 million miles away which would still defy it's fixed orbital rotation around the sun. Planets do rotate in a oval pattern and at different times of different years they can be closer or further away from each other. But they would NEVER get as close as this. This is a 30 million mile exaggeration that is just stupid.

I wonder how it's possible for people to fall for this Mars Hoax, I have no idea how it became so widespread, are people really that dumb? Or do most people just know nothing of Astronomy?

I'm almost embarrassed of the average Americans knowledge of Astronomy and Geography. These two subjects are not emphasized in schools nearly enough.

(Yes I looked up the distance mile numbers but 95% of this post is original :-D )
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby josebach » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:31 am

SniperShot wrote:All you have to do is think and the Mars Hoax quickly becomes one of the most foolish things you've ever heard. For Mars to appear that large wouldn't it have to get substantially CLOSER to earth?

The closest distance from Mars to Earth could be as little as 36 million miles or as great as 250 million miles. In 2005 it was at one point it was 43 million miles away which would make it brighter than most stars in the sky. It would glow and flicker orange easily identifiable in the night sky. Venus gets brightest though usually in late June I think for the Northern Hemisphere.

If Mars ever appeared nearly as large as the moon it would have to be within a million miles of the earth. This would greatly effect our tides and gravitational pull possibly causing a major imbalance in our gravitational and centripetal forces. For Mars to even appear twice as large as it usually does it would have to be 20 million miles away which would still defy it's fixed orbital rotation around the sun. Planets do rotate in a oval pattern and at different times of different years they can be closer or further away from each other. But they would NEVER get as close as this. This is a 30 million mile exaggeration that is just stupid.

I wonder how it's possible for people to fall for this Mars Hoax, I have no idea how it became so widespread, are people really that dumb? Or do most people just know nothing of Astronomy?

I'm almost embarrassed of the average Americans knowledge of Astronomy and Geography. These two subjects are not emphasized in schools nearly enough.

(Yes I looked up the distance mile numbers but 95% of this post is original :-D )

That's a little arrogant, don't ya think?

3 things:
1) Most people haven't had astronomy since middle school.
2) This "event" was claimed to be exceedingly rare which does somewhat give it an air of credibility.
3) A significant percentage of people think astonomy and space exploration are a complete waste of time and don't give them a second's thought. (I'm definitely NOT one of them)

It doesn't make someone "dumb" if they're ignorant about astronomy. Besides, I'm sure you're ignorant about certain subject matter (as am I), does that make us "dumb"?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby SniperShot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:17 pm

josebach wrote:
That's a little arrogant, don't ya think?

3 things:
1) Most people haven't had astronomy since middle school.
2) This "event" was claimed to be exceedingly rare which does somewhat give it an air of credibility.
3) A significant percentage of people think astonomy and space exploration are a complete waste of time and don't give them a second's thought. (I'm definitely NOT one of them)

It doesn't make someone "dumb" if they're ignorant about astronomy. Besides, I'm sure you're ignorant about certain subject matter (as am I), does that make us "dumb"?
Hey jose I didn't say it before but it's good to see you around.

Of course I was a tad arrogant. It's not anyones fault they haven't had astronomy since middle school, but it's a subject I've always been very interested in that most other people turn a blind eye to which has always been annoying to me. Things like this Mars hoax really irk me because it just proves how ignorant we've allowed the subject to become in America. The way our country handles the subject of Astronomy/Space exploration is dumb, not really personally the people. So many people have no idea how much we can gain by revisiting the moon and creating a permanent presence there simply because it's never taught or talked about.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby josebach » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:44 am

SniperShot wrote:Of course I was a tad arrogant. It's not anyones fault they haven't had astronomy since middle school, but it's a subject I've always been very interested in that most other people turn a blind eye to which has always been annoying to me. Things like this Mars hoax really irk me because it just proves how ignorant we've allowed the subject to become in America. The way our country handles the subject of Astronomy/Space exploration is dumb, not really personally the people. So many people have no idea how much we can gain by revisiting the moon and creating a permanent presence there simply because it's never taught or talked about.

When you say it like that, I totally agree with you. Our educational system is lacking in so many ways.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:44 am

For those of you not "hard-core" enough to wake up at 5 AM to look at this thing, I took the liberty of taking a ton of pics of the eclair (that's what I call an eclipse) and joining them into an animated GIF file. Yes, I took these pictures myself.

Of course, those of you who look at my MySpace may have already seen this. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk