Picking #1, 10-Team, 6 pt. pass TD - strategy question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Picking #1, 10-Team, 6 pt. pass TD - strategy question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Picking #1, 10-Team, 6 pt. pass TD - strategy question

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:02 pm

I posted this in the Draft/WW forum, but got no love and I have noticed a lot of strategy questions here...

I have the #1 pick in a 10 team league with standard Yahoo scoring except 6 pts for passing TDs. With LT at #1 I was planning to take my RB2 and a QB at #20, #21, but the 6 pt for passing TDs may change that strategy. Here are my questions:

1. With this scoring system, there is a chance that the top 4 QBs could be off the board by the end of the 2nd. If Peyton, Palmer, Brees and Brady are gone by the end of the 2nd, there are probably a few very solid RBs left when I draft again. Do I only take QB if one of the top 4 are there or do I take Bulger?

2. Assuming there is no QB run in Round 2, I am planning on grabbing Palmer and my RB2. Here are the guys who might be there and how I have them ranked: MJD, Benson, Peterson (MIN), Edge, Jacobs, Ronnie Brown. Who do I grab out of this group?

I am comfortable with not grabbing a WR until I pick at the end of the 4th, but I am not comfortable waiting that long for RB2 and ending up with MBIII or Fred Taylor as RB2.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Picking #1, 10-Team, 6 pt. pass TD - strategy question

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:01 am

Don't grab Bulger that early. Chances are you can still get Palmer if the owners are a little more experienced. If they are all taken you're going to have a shot at a good RB2 and then I'd say grab a top WR to boot. Then I'd say target guys like McNabb, Kitna, Leinart, Cutler later if you don't get the QB you want early.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:15 am

I just drafted in a very QB-heavy league (10 teams start 2 QBs every week w/ 5pt TDs).

There was a big run on QBs in the 1st round. Manning, Brady, Brees, and Palmer were taken in the 1st.

Your league will be a little different, but getting Tomlinson is a big advantage for you.

Your 20th and 21st pick should be QB, RB. Do not hesitate to take Bulger. I think he might be the most reliable QB in the draft besides Manning. He is a 4000 yard monster every year and he only seems to get better with age. There are only 6 reliable QBs in this years draft and you need to grab one early or suffer the consequences.

And you may be able to snag a to flight RB here as well. I managed to get Maroney with the 23rd pick in my 10 team QB league!
QB - Manning, Ben Roth, Campbell
RB - Henry, T Jones, D Ward, B-Jax, Betts, B Jacobs, Selvin Young
WR - Lee Evans, Colston, Driver, Cotchery, Brandon Marshall
TE - Heap
K - Elam
DEF - Chicago
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:24 am

I just drafted #1 overall in a 10 team 6pt pass TD, -2INT league. Top 6 QBs were all gone by 2.8 so I didn't really have to worry about making that decision. Manning went 1.4. Brees went 2.1, Palmer 2.2, Brady 2.3, Bulger 2.5 and McNabb 2.8. Then Rivers and Romo went in the 5th I believe and I took Kitna at 6.10. I would say to pass on a QB at 2/3 and target a Kitna or Romo later. But make sure to grab 2 RBs in the next 4 picks. I found that certain RBs I thought would fall to me like Brandon Jackson and Jordan at the end of 6 were snapped up before then. Other than LT, I was left kinda weak at RB. There seemed to be 2 themes to my draft, 1 TEs fell and 2 WRs fell, everyone really went QB and RB heavy.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby sauza311 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:43 pm

This exact thing in a very similar league happened to me early this afternoon. Only I believe our league has 12 people in it. Anyway, I ended up taking Bulger at 25. I went RB - WR - QB - RB - WR I believe. The only difference is this league only has 1 QB. I'm drafting in a 10 person, 6 points per TD pass, start 2 QB's here in a couple of hours. I've been working all day trying to figure out the appropriate strategy. Let's just say there are things on the line in this league. I'm really torn about what to do. The league has probably 6-7 good fantasy players and 3-4 who don't know what they are doing. I'm guessing more than half of the teams will be on autodraft as well. B/c this league plays 2 qb's, 3 wr's, 2 rb's, and 1 wr/t flex position, I feel that snagging at least one really good RB is worth it. If I'm say 7th or 8th I'll probably take Manning if he is still on the board and then find a solid RB on the return trip. Then do I take 2 wr's with my next picks? I'm so confused about this layout. Help!!!!

Sorry I got kind of off subject here. My point was going to be that doing what you are talking about worked out incredibly well for me. I even got a bench full of guys people will be killing for as the season begins. Tatum Bell, J Norwood, DJ Hackett, Santana Moss, Vincent Jackson, etc. are all sitting there waiting to be used as trade leverage.
sauza311
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby iloveny18 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:15 am

You should definitly take palmer if he's there, if not, i think you can get bulger or donovan, or even kitna later on. your next 2 picks should be if brady breese and palmer's taken, WR Rb, imo brown, edge, or any of those guys mentioned are not worth taking at that position. maybe if someone fell to you like willis or MJD. i also wouldn't rule out taking 2 wr's if 2 of the top 6 are available
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:13 am

I always pass on a QB, unless I can get great value for him (Peyton after the second, Palmer after Peyton is taken in the 3rd).

If I had the 1st pick in a 10-teamer, I would go RB2 and then WR1 on the turn pick between Round 2 and Round 3.

For example; In my league, the person with the 1st pick took Palmer and Thomas Jones paired with LT. I looked at it and said to myself, why would he have done that? I would have rather taken Steve Smith and T. Jones paired with LT. I ended up drafting Hasselbeck in the 8th/9th round and looked at it again, Palmer >> Hasselbeck, but my other positions destroy this kid's because he wasted a pick on a QB that early.
L.T, T.J, and S.S vs L.T, T.J and Palmer (I like the first one a lot more than the second one)
You can always grab a QB who will put up number's just a little less than the top QBs, but the differential between RBs\WRs can be a bit larger than the point total from QBs.

viewtopic.php?t=341847
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Return to Football Talk