Weird Scoring, weird league, need some advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Weird Scoring, weird league, need some advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Weird Scoring, weird league, need some advice

Postby PhinsPhan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:54 pm

The scoring is quite different than what I am used to.
Pass yds - 20
pass comp - .25
pass TD - 6
int - -2

Rush yds - 15
rush att - .5
rush TD - 6

Rec yds - 10
reception - 1
rec td - 6

We have 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, K, and 5 IDP
12 players, picking 8.

So the question is, does this change how you draft. Would you still go RB/RB/WR/QB/RB? Or do I want to go RB/WR/QB/RB or some other variation?

- I am not sure how some of these people are going to draft, so obviously this could all change once the draft starts but I am just unfamiliar with scoring like this.
PhinsPhan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Weird Scoring, weird league, need some advice

Postby matmat » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 pm

imo, unless you can get your hands on LT or one of the other 2-3 top ranked RBs I'd actually consider taking a top tier QB in the first or second round. The passing yards are a little overvalued compared to rushing yards, the quarter-point per reception is big and 6pts/passing touchdown also tilts the scales a bit toward a QB.

have you punched your scoring system into last years' stats?

take SJAX, for example. in your scoring system, last year he put up something like 370 points (if my math is right -- always questionable). (LJ ~ 320)

peyton put up 500 points in this scoring system...
palmer and brees over 400...

so from a pure quantity standpoint, it seems that QB are better... the depth is another issue... just punch the numbers into your favorite spreadsheet program and try to draw some conclusions. good luck.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nerfherders » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:23 pm

I would totally go after Peyton Manning first pick, without question. These rules are set up for QB's. I would go QB-RB-WR, and my RB would be a Westbrook-Jackson type who catch alot of passes. Basically you want the players who get the most touches and not necesarrily the most yards.
Nerfherders
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 204BC » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:37 am

How are the IDP's scored?

I played in a league once that gave 2 pts per tackle and 1 pt per assist, not to mention the crazy points for sacks, int's, FF, FR, Pass Def, etc. DeMeco Ryans would have scored you 343 points based on tackles alone with that system which is more than LJ would have gotten you if matmat's math is right. If they have just as crazy a def scoring system you can DOMINATE this league.

Fill your starters on offense starting with the QB position, then grab your starting RB's followed by WR's. If you can get a top 6 WR after your first RB then do it, otherwise look for RB's that are featured on their teams. I would avoid RB's who share the backfield with someone else (there are a few exceptions due to the ppr scoring). Leave the TE and kicker for last (unless you can grab Gates) and fill your Def starters before getting any more backups on offense. There is an IDP ranking somewhere in the Cafe that's pretty close to what I had in my own files. I just drafted yesterday in a league with high IDP points and according to Yahoo! I'm projected to outscore my week 1 opponent by at least 80 points because apparently nobody in that league knows anything about picking defensive players. I ended up with DeMeco Ryans, Keith Brooking, Will Witherspoon, Gibril Wilson, Antoine Winfield, Brian Urlacher, Antonio Pierce, Chris Hope and Derrick Brooks. On some sites (such as Yahoo!), you do not need to put a Lineman in the DL spot, you can use linebackers so you should load up on them. Most of your opponents will be picking Defensive tackles that will get 3 tackles a game at most and are basing their picks on the predetermined rankings of the site that is being used (which is a horrible way to pick IDP's, you'll get screwed for sure).

If the IDP point system is not very attractive, forget everything I just said and load up as much as you can on offense first. I'm curious to see what the system is for the IDP scoring.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:01 am

Yes the highest scoring players are QBs but no it's not worth it to grab Manning first. I plugged those into my rankings and the Manning isn't more than 120 points off the 12th QB. That's not better than the top 5 or 6 RBs. If you have a top 6 pick then grab a RB. Otherwise grab Manning.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PhinsPhan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Yea bobbing headz, after waiting for responses I just went ahead and made my own score sheet in excel since I couldn't find one for free on the net.

But after doing that I was just looking at QBs like Kitna. There is no way this guy will go in the top 4 rounds but he is only 100 pts off Manning and less than a 20% difference in value.

In particular I looked at the standard of deviation between WRs/QBs/RBs and found that RBs had the greatest difference between the top tiers.

For example in the first three rounds
Manning/Ronnie Brown/Ahman Green
or
Parker/Ronnie Brown/Kitna

3 yields better points and that is considering picking Kitna in the third and not the 4th.

This has actually been an interesting lesson in rarity, because I always said that in a 6 pts per passing TD I would take Manning in a heartbeat, but despite this I am looking more at the parity between players at the same position.
PhinsPhan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Football Talk