post your depthcharts! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

post your depthcharts!

Moderator: Football Moderators

post your depthcharts!

Postby quikzy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:51 am

this is my 1st yr in fantasy football but ive played fantasy basketball/baseball so i know how the setting works. my draft is in a 2 days so i need all the help i can get. (money league..25 bucks a person for the pot :-o)

im lookin for a depth chart to base my picks on with a few adjustments. so if anyone is willing to post theirs i think others and myself would appreciate it greatly.

here are my league settings:
12 team h2h.
Passing Yards (25 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-1)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)

i've been reading and i guess i shud draft a RB with my first and second, maybe even third picks. correct me if im wrong.

few questions:
1) is there any solid sleepers i should know about?
2) i havent really been watching the nfl for a few years so i dont know what team i should draft as my defensive team. also what round should i take that in? same with kickers, when do i draft them?
3) any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.

thanks
quikzy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: post your depthcharts!

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:29 am

Welcome to the Cafe! Stick with us and you'll do fine. ;-D

First off, in fantasy football (and baseball and basketball as far as I know) it's called a Cheat Sheet, not a Depth Chart. Calling it by its correct name will make you SOUND more knowledgeable even if you're not.

As for a list of players based on your scoring system, I'd suggest going to FFToday and creating a free account. Then you can plug your scoring system into their charts, and it'll generate a Cheat for you based on your custom scoring system.

That's a good start. I'll get you some sleepers in a few minutes....

EDIT - you asked about going RB/RB/RB in your first three rounds. Probably don't do that. You'll need a top WR too, and by the fourth round you're going to have slim pickings there. Most likely you'll want to go RB/RB/WR/WR, but I'd have to look at your scoring again to be sure...

EDIT #2 - what are your starting position requirements - 1QB, 2RB and so on; and where are you in the draft - #1, #4, #10?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:57 pm

1) is there any solid sleepers i should know about?
There are tons who could be good, so take these with a grain of salt. If they don't pan out don't come after me! :-D

QB:
Brett Favre – he’s going FAR below where he’ll probably end up. You could get him in the 7th round in a lot of drafts, and he’ll be a top-ten QB this year.
JP Losman – he’s also going to be fine, but you’d want him as a backup, not a starter.

RB:
Chester Taylor – he should still see enough of the ball to get decent scoring, but he is not a #1 or #2 RB. You can pick him up later as backup and be OK with him.
Julius Jones – he’s dropping in a lot of drafts but he’s slated to be the “starter.” He may see more of the ball and he may score more often than last year with the new offense. Don’t forget about him.

WR:
Drew Bennett – if Torry Holt’s knee continues to give him trouble you could be well served to have Bennett on your team. He would become the #2 WR in an offense that should score a ton of points, and the new #1 guy (Isaac Bruce) is three hundred years old.
Patrick Crayton – he’s not exactly on top of everyone’s “get” list, but he could become really important to the Dallas passing game opposite TO if Glenn continues to have injury issues. You could get him as your fourth WR and end up with a starter-caliber player.

2) i havent really been watching the nfl for a few years so i dont know what team i should draft as my defensive team. also what round should i take that in? same with kickers, when do i draft them?
The top defenses in a scoring scheme like yours should be:

Baltimore
Chicago
New England
San Diego
Miami
Green Bay

The consensus is that Baltimore and Chicago are head-and-shoulders above the rest of these guys. Both will be really good, but both are probably going to go too high for you to take comfortably. You can get Green Bay pretty late in a draft and still end up with a decent second-tier defense.

Draft your kicker in the last round. Kickers are so different year to year there’s no reason to reach on a kicker. DO NOT draft last year’s high-scoring kicker expecting him to score the same this year. Most kickers vary wildly year to year. Some late-round guys you can get who should be good:

Olindo Mare – he was around #10 or #11 last year kicking for a crappy Miami team. He’s now kicking for New Orleans, and he’s kicking indoors for most of his games. He’s under a lot of radars but he’ll have a fine season.
Stephen Gostkowski – as a general rule you want to draft kickers who kick for high-scoring offenses, and Gostkowski is one of those guys. New England has firepower galore and he should kick bunches of points this year, and the good thing about him is that nobody can pronounce his name, so he’s flying under some radars.

Now, if you don’t get Vinatieri or Robbie Gould or Jeff Wilkins or any of the other kickers who are way high on everyone’s Cheat Sheets don’t worry. Most likely there will be 12 kickers drafted in your league this year, and projections for kickers from most reputable sources show that the difference in projected scoring from the #1 kicker to the #10 kicker amounts to less than one point per game. So even if you get a “crappy” kicker, you’re not losing out on much.

Another thing is that last year nobody drafted Robbie Gould thinking he would be a top-three kicker, and the year before that nobody drafted Neil Rackers thinking he would be a top-three kicker. Both came out of the shadows to score tons of points, and if you pay attention you can snag that guy in the second or third week of the season if you’re lucky.

3) any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Do not drink lots and lots and lots of beer at the draft, or you may find yourself hung over and wondering why you thought drafting Mike Vick in the third round was such a great idea.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby quikzy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:43 pm

thanks a lot for the info thus far. as for your questions on the 1st post, we'll be picking pingpong balls on draft day to determine my pick #. also my league will be starting QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R.

ok so a kicker should be taken in the last round. what about like TE and the defensive team?

anyone else have any input (not that yours is bad) but i need all the info i can get. thanks :-)

so michael vick 3rd round sounds good ;-D
quikzy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm

quikzy wrote:thanks a lot for the info thus far. as for your questions on the 1st post, we'll be picking pingpong balls on draft day to determine my pick #. also my league will be starting QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R.

ok so a kicker should be taken in the last round. what about like TE and the defensive team?

anyone else have any input (not that yours is bad) but i need all the info i can get. thanks :-)

For more input you could try the Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver forums. This forum is new to the Cafe this year so it's not getting a ton of traffic right now. D,T,K&W gets a LOT of traffic, so you'll see a ton of questions answered, many of which may answer your own questions. Don't be afraid to post in any thread in which you have a question. That's the best way to get answers.

Also be sure to check out the Football Leftovers forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom there, and tons of debates about players, positions and draft strategies - most likely more than you can read in the next few days.

Basically, the Cafe is full of thousands of fantasy fans who read hundreds of different news sources, and we pool our knowledge here. We love to answer questions, debate points and generally pick every scenario to death, so if you have a question it's either going to get answered here or has already been answered here.

To answer your question about TE (and other positions), I would suggest going RB/RB/WR and either WR or QB at #4 depending on who is available at that point. I would wait on TE until the tenth round at least - for sure until you've gotten your backup RB and at least one backup WR.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Beginner's Forum