Portable Music Devices - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Portable Music Devices

Moderator: Football Moderators

Portable Music Devices

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:30 am

Which one should I get? What do they cost? Which ones are the most reliable? Which ones have the most trouble?

Should I get a Zune? Should I get an iPod?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Portable Music Devices

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:41 am

there is a ridiculous amount of follow up questions for me, what are you using it for? would be my first. I have 2 ipod shuffle clips, cuz i run a lot and hate crap on my waste or arm. personally, i think video ipods are too much. if they could have a link to your ipod to other peoples tvs, i'd get one. many do, ipods (last i checked don't). My buddy has a Zune and swears by it, so the quality must be decent. I just wouldn't overpay for storage if you are just using it for music. I have a friend that bought a nano, she got the 8 gig or something like that and she only has about 10 cds worth of music on it. that's a waste of several hundred dollars.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:46 am

i have both an ipod and a creative zen vision. i know you're more familiar with the apple interface, so that may be the best option for you. i really like the zen that i have. there are a few issues with it. mainly that it requires an adapter to plug the usb into the computer. poor design there. but over all, i believe it to be superior to the ipod. it's cheaper, roughly the same size, has a built in microphone, clearer screen, and 30gb. a friend of mine uses his to tape concerts and record his band. sound quality on recordings is good.

the zune has some neat features like sharing across bluetooth or some type of wireless format. although, you only have license to listen to the shared music for like 48 hours or something. which is kind of lame.

and the ipod is just apple stuff. it's overpriced and trendy. but still a good piece of equipment. and if you already use itunes to manage your digital music collection, it just makes it that much easier. mainly because of the mp4 format that itunes uses to rip cds. the other players are not going to recognize your mp4 songs. so that kind of makes it a pain.

if you are aware of the mp4 thing, then you don't use itunes to rip your music. you have no problems using another mp3 device, you can still use itunes to manage the music.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby m16a » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:44 am

Forget an iPod. Get a Sansa. Smaller(than a video at least), more unique, has a radio(fm) and a recorder. The e280 comes in 8GB(dunno if you want more space than that, if you do then a sansa prolly ain't the bst for you) plus has some video capability. Sansa makes a good product IMO and I have an earlier version of one of there mp3 players. Plays WMAs, mp3s, and protected WMAs

Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:56 am

oh yeah. the zen has fm radio as well. which is convenient if you go to the gym and want to listen to the tvs while on the treadmill or something.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby CC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:16 pm

treat24 wrote:there is a ridiculous amount of follow up questions for me, what are you using it for? would be my first. I have 2 ipod shuffle clips, cuz i run a lot and hate crap on my waste or arm. personally, i think video ipods are too much. if they could have a link to your ipod to other peoples tvs, i'd get one. many do, ipods (last i checked don't). My buddy has a Zune and swears by it, so the quality must be decent. I just wouldn't overpay for storage if you are just using it for music. I have a friend that bought a nano, she got the 8 gig or something like that and she only has about 10 cds worth of music on it. that's a waste of several hundred dollars.

Your friend does not know how to use the most idiot-friendly technology on the market then, because I have a 4GB IPod and I have about 800 songs on it.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:21 pm

CC wrote:
treat24 wrote:there is a ridiculous amount of follow up questions for me, what are you using it for? would be my first. I have 2 ipod shuffle clips, cuz i run a lot and hate crap on my waste or arm. personally, i think video ipods are too much. if they could have a link to your ipod to other peoples tvs, i'd get one. many do, ipods (last i checked don't). My buddy has a Zune and swears by it, so the quality must be decent. I just wouldn't overpay for storage if you are just using it for music. I have a friend that bought a nano, she got the 8 gig or something like that and she only has about 10 cds worth of music on it. that's a waste of several hundred dollars.

Your friend does not know how to use the most idiot-friendly technology on the market then, because I have a 4GB IPod and I have about 800 songs on it.

I think what Treat is saying is that she has most of the thing empty. It's not that she can't put more music on it, it's that she hasn't.

So, what do these things cost? How much for the smallest version of each of these things? Can I get one for $50? $75? I don't have to have a Mac product, either. I hear good things about the iPod but as a Mac owner I know that Mac stuff is usually more pricey than it needs to be, and I also know that I can get any of these products to work with my Mac one way or the other.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dolfin99 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:33 pm

knapplc wrote:So, what do these things cost? How much for the smallest version of each of these things? Can I get one for $50? $75? I don't have to have a Mac product, either. I hear good things about the iPod but as a Mac owner I know that Mac stuff is usually more pricey than it needs to be, and I also know that I can get any of these products to work with my Mac one way or the other.

I have an IPOD shuffle 1GB that I use when I run or workout and it is all I need. You can get them for under $100 everywhere. Best Buy has them for 79.99. ;-D
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:57 pm

knapplc wrote:
CC wrote:

I think what Treat is saying is that she has most of the thing empty. It's not that she can't put more music on it, it's that she hasn't.

So, what do these things cost? How much for the smallest version of each of these things? Can I get one for $50? $75? I don't have to have a Mac product, either. I hear good things about the iPod but as a Mac owner I know that Mac stuff is usually more pricey than it needs to be, and I also know that I can get any of these products to work with my Mac one way or the other.

that was exactly what i was saying, don't pay for more gigs if you aren't going to use them. she spent like $300 for the biggest nano and she coulda bought the smallest for what she needed (the smallest nano costs $150)

you can also get fm tuners for ipods.

like moon said you just have to make sure you know about the mp4/mp3 deal. i've never had a problem with any of my different mp3 players so I can't say a certain version is crap. You can easily find them for $50-$75. I'd just hit up targets and walmarts and electronics stores most have pretty good selections of non-apple cheap ones.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby sox 06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:03 pm

I have an iPod and although it is nice, I think it was a waste of my money. I don't listen to a lot of music so the 20 gig basic iPod that I bought isn't nearly full enough to warrant the $300 price tag. I've heard good things about the Zen and the Zune so those might be good options. I had an iriver brand mp3 player and I liked it alot. It cost around $130 but I would assume there are cheaper versions.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk