Portable Music Devices - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Portable Music Devices

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Portable Music Devices

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:08 pm

treat24 wrote:like moon said you just have to make sure you know about the mp4/mp3 deal. i've never had a problem with any of my different mp3 players so I can't say a certain version is crap. You can easily find them for $50-$75. I'd just hit up targets and walmarts and electronics stores most have pretty good selections of non-apple cheap ones.

Yeah, that MP3/MP4 info was good to know. I did not know that. It's one of the reasons I love Moonie so much. :-b

If I can get a decent one that holds 100-150 songs for $50 that's all I want. If it has an FM radio all the better, but that's not a priority. Basically I own about 150 or so CDs, and on about half of them there's only two or three songs I really like. If I could put a bunch of those songs on a player I could have them whenever I wanted but without having to cart around a bunch of music I will never listen to. That's the draw for me.

I don't need video or radio, just something convenient to play some of my more obscure music with.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:22 pm

The thing about my MP3 player is, I just don't like carrying too much stuff in my pockets. I mean, I got my cell phone, my keys, etc. already in there... What do I wanna carry around an MP3 player all day for?

I have a Sony ... it holds 20 GBs, and it's pretty nice. But I rarely use it except for when I'm at the gym or running, etc.

Next month I'm getting a new phone... and I think I'm gonna get one of those music phones that hold a lot of space. That way I've got a cell phone and mp3 player in one.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:27 pm

Popcynical wrote:The thing about my MP3 player is, I just don't like carrying too much stuff in my pockets. I mean, I got my cell phone, my keys, etc. already in there... What do I wanna carry around an MP3 player all day for?

I have a Sony ... it holds 20 GBs, and it's pretty nice. But I rarely use it except for when I'm at the gym or running, etc.

Next month I'm getting a new phone... and I think I'm gonna get one of those music phones that hold a lot of space. That way I've got a cell phone and mp3 player in one.

i have one of those. you'll never use it like that. you can literally watch the battery die before your eyes when you use it as an mp3 player.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:48 pm

moonhead wrote:
Popcynical wrote:The thing about my MP3 player is, I just don't like carrying too much stuff in my pockets. I mean, I got my cell phone, my keys, etc. already in there... What do I wanna carry around an MP3 player all day for?

i have one of those. you'll never use it like that. you can literally watch the battery die before your eyes when you use it as an mp3 player.

yep, my phone also has music and you have to recharge the battery a couple times a day if you use the mp3 player much... i don't anymore and my phone can last a day, maybe... battery killers...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:34 pm

I have one of those Sansa mp3 players that m16a posted. The big thing with that is that if you want to have playlists, don't get it. They are next to impossible to set up. !+)

If I had it to do over again, I would get an iPod. Is the iPod better than the other ones? Not by a long shot, but its worth the drop in functionality and rise in price (small rise in price and basically you lose the FM tuner built in) in order to use iTunes.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:43 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I have one of those Sansa mp3 players that m16a posted. The big thing with that is that if you want to have playlists, don't get it. They are next to impossible to set up. !+)

If I had it to do over again, I would get an iPod. Is the iPod better than the other ones? Not by a long shot, but its worth the drop in functionality and rise in price (small rise in price and basically you lose the FM tuner built in) in order to use iTunes.

What do you find so great about iTunes? I have it on my Mac and I barely use it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:50 pm

knapplc wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:I have one of those Sansa mp3 players that m16a posted. The big thing with that is that if you want to have playlists, don't get it. They are next to impossible to set up. !+)

What do you find so great about iTunes? I have it on my Mac and I barely use it.

iTunes has great options for organization and playlists and they synchronize to an iPod perfectly. That's the best part about it. Windows Media Player can do a lot of the same things, but I haven't seen an mp3 player that it synchronized ALL that information with seamlessly. I am sure Microsoft's does, but I don't know that.

Anyway, its more integration, but I like iTunes better than WMP as a pure music organization tool as well. It's a really nice sleek usable design.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:35 pm

For the money you are looking to spend (under $100) the only iPod product you can get is the Shuffle. The upside to the shuffle is that it's cheap and tiny (matchbook size). The downside is that you can't CHOOSE which songs you want to hear. You load all your songs into it, and it basically works like a radio after that, choosing (at random) the songs to play from the library you have provided.

The upside to any iPod product is that they are the industry standard. Just about every accessory on the market is designed for the iPod, and there are literally hundreds of peripheral products you can buy that are compatible. Go into any Best Buy or Circuit City and you will find 50 or more iPod accessories, which is roughly five times the number of products available for all the other brands combined.

Personally, I trust Apple. I think they've been through enough generations of the iPod and iTunes that they've just about perfected their product. Most of the start-ups (including Microsoft) are still ironing out the kinks.

But, as with anything, you get what you pay for. iPods with comparable capacity run about 10-20% more than the knock offs. Zune's tend to run just about the same as iPod.

If you're looking for a starter product, and you don't think you'll be buying a lot of accessories, I have had a lot of luck with iRiver. Unlike the iPod there is a TON of flexibility for how you want to organize your music, and you can actually use the machine like a flash drive in that you can load only the songs you want onto it, and then unload onto another computer. Or load just one particular song from a friends computer onto your machine, etc... etc... etc... With the Apple products your iPod will always be in sync with whatever is on your computer. If you sync it to a friend's computer you effectively get rid of all your songs and add all his songs to your iPod. You can't unload music from your iPod onto another computer, etc... etc... etc... It's designed to make sharing of music difficult, whereas the iRiver works just like a flash drive that also plays music...

That's my take on things... For the record, I have owned about 5 or 6 different brands of mp3 players... Currently I use a 30 gig iPod Video as my primary...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:38 pm

I personally think ipods are good, not necessarily because they are the most reliable, but because I have found in my experience that should something go wrong, apple is very good about costumer service.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby m16a » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:47 pm

knapplc wrote:Yeah, that MP3/MP4 info was good to know. I did not know that. It's one of the reasons I love Moonie so much. :-b

If I can get a decent one that holds 100-150 songs for $50 that's all I want. If it has an FM radio all the better, but that's not a priority. Basically I own about 150 or so CDs, and on about half of them there's only two or three songs I really like. If I could put a bunch of those songs on a player I could have them whenever I wanted but without having to cart around a bunch of music I will never listen to. That's the draw for me.

I don't need video or radio, just something convenient to play some of my more obscure music with.

100-150 songs for about 50 dollars, then the sansa I have or a slightly higher version of it will do you.

Sansa m240 is the 1GB version of the Sansa m230 which I have. Its a great little device, runs on a single AAA battery, has FM and recorder. However, like Joel said, if you want play lists(I'm not picky, so I don't care) its tricky to get made up, but the m240(and m230) fit your criteria of holding 100-150 songs and being around 50 dollars. I have had mine for a good 2 years now and its a great little mp3 player. Again, this is just a preference of mine. Its a more simple one than the one I displayed earlier, and maybe you will like it.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk