Portable Music Devices - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Portable Music Devices

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Portable Music Devices

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:49 pm

I'll probably end up getting an iPod Shuffle. For the money I'm willing to spend it seems like the only thing really that's out there, and it would do basically what I want my player to do.

I'll probably wait a while to get one. Maybe I'll see if there are any good Christmas deals out there. I'm in no hurry.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:55 pm

knapplc wrote:I'll probably end up getting an iPod Shuffle. For the money I'm willing to spend it seems like the only thing really that's out there, and it would do basically what I want my player to do.

I'll probably wait a while to get one. Maybe I'll see if there are any good Christmas deals out there. I'm in no hurry.

Just make sure it holds enough music. The only downside to the shuffle is the amount of memory it has. If you don't have too much music to fit on it, it's a good idea to get a shuffle.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nebgib5 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:09 pm

knapplc wrote:I'll probably end up getting an iPod Shuffle. For the money I'm willing to spend it seems like the only thing really that's out there, and it would do basically what I want my player to do.

also of note: apple has announced that they're going to be updating the iPod line in an event tomorrow (sept. 5th). i would say it's kind of unlikely that they update the shuffle line (i think it's been tinkered with relatively recently, but i could be wrong), but there could be a slight reduction in price (though 80 bucks is already pretty cheap). definitely something to pay attention to, though, if you're potentially in the market for one.
nebgib5
Water Boy
Water Boy

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby treat24 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:For the money you are looking to spend (under $100) the only iPod product you can get is the Shuffle. The upside to the shuffle is that it's cheap and tiny (matchbook size). The downside is that you can't CHOOSE which songs you want to hear. You load all your songs into it, and it basically works like a radio after that, choosing (at random) the songs to play from the library you have provided.

That is not even close to true. you can put it on shuffle (which is what you described above) or you can put the songs in order. I always make a playlist and listen to the songs in the order of my choosing on my shuffles. I don't like the random option. You definitely CAN CHOOSE the order of the songs. It's actually a little smaller than a matchbook and it fits between 300-500 songs (which is WAY more than I ever need before I go back to my computer). It clips anywhere on you. You don't even feel that you are wearing it, which is great for me working out and running.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:52 pm

treat24 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:For the money you are looking to spend (under $100) the only iPod product you can get is the Shuffle. The upside to the shuffle is that it's cheap and tiny (matchbook size). The downside is that you can't CHOOSE which songs you want to hear. You load all your songs into it, and it basically works like a radio after that, choosing (at random) the songs to play from the library you have provided.

That is not even close to true. you can put it on shuffle (which is what you described above) or you can put the songs in order. I always make a playlist and listen to the songs in the order of my choosing on my shuffles. I don't like the random option. You definitely CAN CHOOSE the order of the songs. It's actually a little smaller than a matchbook and it fits between 300-500 songs (which is WAY more than I ever need before I go back to my computer). It clips anywhere on you. You don't even feel that you are wearing it, which is great for me working out and running.

So you can select a specific song you want to hear? How do you do that without a display?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
treat24 wrote:

So you can select a specific song you want to hear? How do you do that without a display?

You can't select a specific song (unless you want to go forward one song until you get to the one you want) but you can set the song order. You don't have to have them play randomly.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:59 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:You can't select a specific song (unless you want to go forward one song until you get to the one you want) but you can set the song order. You don't have to have them play randomly.

And you do that when you put the songs in with iTunes? Is that right?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:12 pm

knapplc wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:You can't select a specific song (unless you want to go forward one song until you get to the one you want) but you can set the song order. You don't have to have them play randomly.

And you do that when you put the songs in with iTunes? Is that right?

I believe that you just set up a playlist in iTunes that syncs to your shuffle when you plug it in, but keep in mind that I don't have one myself. I have set up several for other people and I think that's the way its done.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:58 pm

m16a wrote:Sansa m240 is the 1GB version of the Sansa m230 which I have. Its a great little device, runs on a single AAA battery, has FM and recorder. However, like Joel said, if you want play lists(I'm not picky, so I don't care) its tricky to get made up, but the m240(and m230) fit your criteria of holding 100-150 songs and being around 50 dollars. I have had mine for a good 2 years now and its a great little mp3 player. Again, this is just a preference of mine. Its a more simple one than the one I displayed earlier, and maybe you will like it.

I have one of those in front of me right now that is waiting to go back to the store because it totally crapped out on me !+) :-P :-/

I used it for my vacation trip with the wife, loaded ~300 tunes in it for the drive to Newfoundland (about 17hrs) and bought a radio-broadcaster to play it over the truck speakers (a great little device BTW, definitely gets 2 thumbs up from me). We used it for the drive down with 0 problems but for some reason when I went to use it on the way back it started jamming - it would just die in the middle of a song and the only thing that could be done was to remove the battery and put it back in, none of the buttons worked (including power down)... It started out doing it like 30+ songs into the playlist, and you could skip the song it jammed on when you reset - but it quickly progressed to dying in the first 5 songs and you can't even skip it. Luckily I was flying back so it was less of an issue (especially with in-seat XM radio on the plane)

To make things worse when I plug it in to the PC and take a look at the files on it none of the music shows up :-o :-? The drive is near full but none of the files taking up the space are visible now ??????

Anyways - when I bought the damn thing for my wife last Christmas I bought the in-store extended warranty so it is going back as soon as I am in that neighbourhood again (already replaced the original unit once - a different brand - because the Hold button decided to stick in the On position)...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 am

You guys are lame. Use a Discman. Bring 1 or 2 discs. Anything longer than that requires a nap.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk