Another Venting Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Another Venting Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another Venting Thread

Postby sox 06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Alright you guys calmed me down about my whole car situation in this thread, so maybe you can work your magic again. I'm on the golf team at my school and I play on the JV team. I usually shoot anywhere from a 44 to a 49. I played our last match as the #6 guy (out of 6) and I had a two bad holes and I ended up shooting a 50 !+) We have another match on Tuesday and it's against one of our rivals. I find out today that my coach substituted a player in for me who shoots around a 54-56 and his best round of his life, according to him, he shot a 49. I can understand if he wants to get everyone into at least one match (we have 9 guys and start only 6) but I just don't get why he doesn't play the best golfers especailly agains't one of our rival, and pretty good teams. Same as last time, should I be a little upset about this?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Another Venting Thread

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:55 pm

sox 06 wrote:Alright you guys calmed me down about my whole car situation in this thread, so maybe you can work your magic again. I'm on the golf team at my school and I play on the JV team. I usually shoot anywhere from a 44 to a 49. I played our last match as the #6 guy (out of 6) and I had a two bad holes and I ended up shooting a 50 !+) We have another match on Tuesday and it's against one of our rivals. I find out today that my coach substituted a player in for me who shoots around a 54-56 and his best round of his life, according to him, he shot a 49. I can understand if he wants to get everyone into at least one match (we have 9 guys and start only 6) but I just don't get why he doesn't play the best golfers especailly agains't one of our rival, and pretty good teams. Same as last time, should I be a little upset about this?

You maybe should not be a little upset about this especially if the underlined part is true. Has this other guy played this year, or if he has then has he played very much? How much have you played? Maybe it's less about your game than about him wanting to get the guy some time on the course. It would royally suck to be on the team and barely take a swing in competition.

Does it suck for you? Yes. But should you be upset about it? I don't think so.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 pm

knapplc wrote:
sox 06 wrote:Alright you guys calmed me down about my whole car situation in this thread, so maybe you can work your magic again. I'm on the golf team at my school and I play on the JV team. I usually shoot anywhere from a 44 to a 49. I played our last match as the #6 guy (out of 6) and I had a two bad holes and I ended up shooting a 50 !+) We have another match on Tuesday and it's against one of our rivals. I find out today that my coach substituted a player in for me who shoots around a 54-56 and his best round of his life, according to him, he shot a 49. I can understand if he wants to get everyone into at least one match (we have 9 guys and start only 6) but I just don't get why he doesn't play the best golfers especailly agains't one of our rival, and pretty good teams. Same as last time, should I be a little upset about this?

You maybe should not be a little upset about this especially if the underlined part is true. Has this other guy played this year, or if he has then has he played very much? How much have you played? Maybe it's less about your game than about him wanting to get the guy some time on the course. It would royally suck to be on the team and barely take a swing in competition.

Does it suck for you? Yes. But should you be upset about it? I don't think so.

I agree, it is weird that the coach would lie about the 49 though. There is a small possibily that there is something to the story behind the scenes that you don't know. Like maybe his parents want to see him play in a match and begged the coach? Maybe the underlined part is true and he's just trying to let everyone play. I can understand some frustration, but if the kid has never played, let him have his day in the sun. if it happens again, ask some questions...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:49 pm

i'll tell you what i was told every time i bitched about my spot on the golf team. now there are certain variations of this with different colorful adjectives tossed about...but it goes a little something like this:
my dad the golf pro wrote:play better

it's cold, and uncaring. but seriously, that's what it boils down to. and i know what you're going through. but get pissed off. go practice. use it as motivation.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby sox 06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:52 pm

I've already calmed down a lot since I made this thread but Tuesday will be our second match of the season, so I've played in one and he hasn't played in any. A couple of things that frustrate me are I'm a grade older than he his so he will have some chances in the next three years to play in a match while next season will be my last. I can't decide if I'm upset with not playing or how my coach handled it. He told everyone that we had a match on Tuesday, someone asked if it was the same six players from the previous match, and he said "no, I'm putting (the player in for me) in for the #6 guy." He didn't talk to me or tell me why he wasn't going to start me.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:57 pm

sox 06 wrote:I've already calmed down a lot since I made this thread but Tuesday will be our second match of the season, so I've played in one and he hasn't played in any. A couple of things that frustrate me are I'm a grade older than he his so he will have some chances in the next three years to play in a match while next season will be my last. I can't decide if I'm upset with not playing or how my coach handled it. He told everyone that we had a match on Tuesday, someone asked if it was the same six players from the previous match, and he said "no, I'm putting (the player in for me) in for the #6 guy." He didn't talk to me or tell me why he wasn't going to start me.

That's not exactly an elegant way for your coach to handle that situation, that's for sure. ;-7

Do what Moon said. Use it as motivation. Focus your upset into your game, and if it helps you play better, next time he'll bench someone else for Mr. #7 Spot.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 pm

moonhead wrote:i'll tell you what i was told every time i bitched about my spot on the golf team. now there are certain variations of this with different colorful adjectives tossed about...but it goes a little something like this:
my dad the golf pro wrote:play better

it's cold, and uncaring. but seriously, that's what it boils down to. and i know what you're going through. but get pissed off. go practice. use it as motivation.

Trust me, I am ticked off. I played a round afer I found out I wasn't playing and I took the hardest swing I could at every ball. That probably wasn't the best thing to do but I hit the ball really well :-? :-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 pm

This coach doesn't necessarily sound like the best coach in the world, but what can you expect from a coach of a JV team in HS? I am a junior in HS now, and I played my freshman and sophomore years on the JV baseball team and experienced 2 coaches who had no idea what they were doing.

You really just have to use this as motivation, improve your game, and get so good that there is no way he can keep you out of the matches.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:45 pm

I was going to go the route of motivation and possibly even great coaching, but moon beat me to it. It's amazing what you can do when you have to.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:04 pm

I'll basically do the opposite of everyone so far. It's sports. It's competition. You do it to win or you don't do it at all. You're not doing this in your spare time for fun, it's a high school team sport. If you're better than the other kid, you should be playing. Simple as that. I could care less about "everyone gets to play". Sounds cold and heartless, but this isn't 3 year olds playing teeball for fun. It's competition between schools. Just on a golf course instead of a football field. If the other kid wants to play, he should be practicing extra and earning that spot.

And at the same time, you should be practicing to make sure he doesn't take your spot, and also to move up the ranks. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk