Another Venting Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Another Venting Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Another Venting Thread

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:26 pm

JV sports always have one goal: train players for varsity. I don't know how this could've played into the coach's decision, but you never know. Maybe the coach decided to give you a break because you had a bad round and see what this kid can do. Maybe he should've figured that your bad round was a fluke and not benched you. You can't know the coach's motivation for doing what he did.

All I can say is that you need to use this to make you get better, not worse. And if you didn't appreciate the way the coach told you about the benching, tell him so. Maybe you'll learn a little about why he did it in the process.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:38 pm

Madison wrote:And at the same time, you should be practicing to make sure he doesn't take your spot, and also to move up the ranks. ;-D

And that may have been the coach's motivation.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:19 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Madison wrote:And at the same time, you should be practicing to make sure he doesn't take your spot, and also to move up the ranks. ;-D

Agreed. Very possible. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Madison wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

Agreed. Very possible. ;-D

I know that when I was playing basketball, I was the leading scorer and generally played the entire game every game and I wasn't too happy when I got benched cause I knew the person they were putting in there wasn't better. Just trust that the coach knows what he's doing even if he doesn't and work hard to keep going and get better. ;-D

OK, so yeah, I know, easier said than done, but its pretty much your only option unless you're in little league and you can get your parents to cry to the coach, but I don't think that would be an option. :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:42 pm

I played in HS (5 HCP) and first off I'd wipe the floor with you even 15 years out of HS.

Second we used to play it off in the practice rounds before the match. You knew who the better guy was and he played. I would ask the coach in a sincere manner why he is playing him. Tell him you want to win and that you feel you are better. that is not a bad thing.

Don't you guys turn in score cards to see who is better?

After that start practicing so this doesn't happen. Especially chipping and putting. You count your strokes and break down the number of putts, chips (50 yds and in), higher iron (p-6), lower Iron (5-3), fairway woods/hybrid, and Driver. Look at what type of shot has the most value and focus on that. Putting and chipping will be a decent amount. If you get good at that you will take a lot of strokes off your game. For instance I rarely 3 putt. If I can just hit a green in reg I birdie or par. Put me at 100 yds and I'm within 20 ft. These are the shots that count. And don't try and kill it. Use natural strength and sound fundamentals.

Good luck.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:49 pm

Madison wrote:I'll basically do the opposite of everyone so far. It's sports. It's competition. You do it to win or you don't do it at all. You're not doing this in your spare time for fun, it's a high school team sport. If you're better than the other kid, you should be playing. Simple as that. I could care less about "everyone gets to play". Sounds cold and heartless, but this isn't 3 year olds playing teeball for fun. It's competition between schools. Just on a golf course instead of a football field. If the other kid wants to play, he should be practicing extra and earning that spot.

And at the same time, you should be practicing to make sure he doesn't take your spot, and also to move up the ranks. ;-D

I'm in total agreement. Very early on, sure you play everyone, but certainly at the highschool level you teach people about competition. In everything in life, people play to win, and you've got to learn how to play to win. Dealing with not being good enough is something everyone has to face at some point in life, and better they learn how to deal with it in a high school golf match than by failing to meet a deadline in their first job out of college, or such.

When I played high school football, I was by not means an athlete. I worked my tail off, but it took a lot for me to be average, but I learned. I made sure to get reps against the best guys on the team, and getting as many reps as I could (I probably did double the reps of anyone else on my team for drills where the coach let us just step in against each other). Despite how much I would've loved to have been granted playing time, and to have more game stories as a result of more time on the field, I know that how I dealt with that situation is how I treat all setbacks in life.

If you're not up to par, you work harder, you practice more, you find more challenging practice situations so you learn to succeed at a higher level, you simply get better. Its an important lesson this coach should be letting these kids learn.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:39 am

Madison wrote:I'll basically do the opposite of everyone so far. It's sports. It's competition. You do it to win or you don't do it at all. You're not doing this in your spare time for fun, it's a high school team sport. If you're better than the other kid, you should be playing. Simple as that. I could care less about "everyone gets to play". Sounds cold and heartless, but this isn't 3 year olds playing teeball for fun. It's competition between schools. Just on a golf course instead of a football field. If the other kid wants to play, he should be practicing extra and earning that spot.

And at the same time, you should be practicing to make sure he doesn't take your spot, and also to move up the ranks. ;-D

Thank you MAD. Its a sport, as herm edwards said, "You play to win the game." The best players should be out on a field every time. If you want to play than get better and show it in practice. We are so worried aboyt letting people play just for playing now its crazy. I played baseball my whole life and I got benched for someone else who was not better than me, but was practicing better. I was ticked, so i went out and practiced harder and it made me a better player in the long run and i was never benched again. The best players should be playing to try and win.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take the only route that I can which is practice my butt off so he can't take me out. I hit a killer bucket of balls at the range today so hopefully that will show out on the course next week.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:49 pm

It looks like I'm pretty much srewed on this one. My swing feels horrible right now and the kid who "replaced" me shot another round of his life the other day. I started chunking shots, then I adjusted and started hitting shots as thin as a piece of paper :-C I just came about the width of a piece of paper away from getting into an accident and school starts tomorrow and it's only Wednesday :~(

I just had to get all of that off my chest :-° :-B
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:28 pm

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but you're young. It's learning right now. Coach might have seen something in this kid that translated well. Who knows. Keep at it, it's a good life lesson. This will certainly not be the first time you will be treated 'unfairly'.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk