Help w/ Calc (Limit problems) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Help w/ Calc (Limit problems)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help w/ Calc (Limit problems)

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:12 pm

I tried to make this as easy to understand as possible. There are 5 questions, anybody remember how to do this stuff?

limx → 0 ( -2 + cos 5x + cos^2 5x − 4 sin 5x ) / (-2x ) =

limx → 0 ( -5 − 2 cos 5x + 7 cos^2 5x − sin 5x ) / (5x^2 − 5x ) =

limx → 0 (3^(2x) - 1) / (x + 3) =

limx → 0+ (1 + x )^(1/(2x)) =

limx → 0 (3^x - 1) / x =

5 questions, I have pretty much forgotten how to do this crap. Any help on any of the five would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help w/ Calc (Limit problems)

Postby SniperShot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:56 pm

All of those are very simple limits. You're trying to find the limit of X as it approaches 0 in each of those 5 problems. I'd say pay attention in class and learn how to use your graphing calculator.

For those 5 problems I'd use substitution. When X is approaching 0 half your values in those equations become 0. :-D

Having others do your homework hurts you big time in the long run.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 pm

Boom!
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.college.html

I dominate most of my courses and practical math, but abstract math like calculus I need to work a little harder to succeed at.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Santacruzer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Your mom bought you that computer in your room for you to do your homework, not us.

:-b jk

Been too long for me. I can't help ya.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Yep just subsitute 0 for X. Or if you're lazy like me.. just graph it, and go the graph screen and calc the value for when X equals 0. From the look of a couple of those, it might be undefined. But there could still be a limit for those.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Trying to remember back to my high school days...

I think these are problems solved by L'Hopital's Rule, which states something like lim (f(x)/g(x)) = lim (f'(x)/g'(x)).

Right?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:25 am

How can you substitute 0 for x in those? They would have division by 0 which is illegal... :-?

It has been about 8 years since I did those, so I really don't remember where to start. You probably have to get x out of the denominator somehow? Like synthetic division? Maybe L'Hospital's rule like Plindsey said (yes I know I spelled it wrong...that's how I always said it)? I think you do the derivative of it and figure it out that way.

Maybe since it's just approaching zero it's not illegal to divide by it. Must be nice doing those on graphing calculators these days. :*)

Oh, another thought...if you can turn some of the trig functions into whole numbers it could help. There are all sorts of them in your calc book most likely. In any event, you better post the answers. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:01 am

Mercer Boy wrote:How can you substitute 0 for x in those? They would have division by 0 which is illegal... :-?

It has been about 8 years since I did those, so I really don't remember where to start. You probably have to get x out of the denominator somehow? Like synthetic division? Maybe L'Hospital's rule like Plindsey said (yes I know I spelled it wrong...that's how I always said it)? I think you do the derivative of it and figure it out that way.

Maybe since it's just approaching zero it's not illegal to divide by it. Must be nice doing those on graphing calculators these days. :*)

Oh, another thought...if you can turn some of the trig functions into whole numbers it could help. There are all sorts of them in your calc book most likely. In any event, you better post the answers. ;-D

Yeah, but who enforces those laws? The Math Cops?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:08 am

knapplc wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:How can you substitute 0 for x in those? They would have division by 0 which is illegal... :-?

Yeah, but who enforces those laws? The Math Cops?

math cops these days are much better than the ones when we went to school knapp:

treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:18 am

Yowza!!! 8-o

:-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk