Help w/ Calc (Limit problems) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Help w/ Calc (Limit problems)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Help w/ Calc (Limit problems)

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:55 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:How can you substitute 0 for x in those? They would have division by 0 which is illegal... :-?

It has been about 8 years since I did those, so I really don't remember where to start. You probably have to get x out of the denominator somehow? Like synthetic division? Maybe L'Hospital's rule like Plindsey said (yes I know I spelled it wrong...that's how I always said it)? I think you do the derivative of it and figure it out that way.

Maybe since it's just approaching zero it's not illegal to divide by it. Must be nice doing those on graphing calculators these days. :*)

Oh, another thought...if you can turn some of the trig functions into whole numbers it could help. There are all sorts of them in your calc book most likely. In any event, you better post the answers. ;-D

Right... You can't just substitute zero, due to having an undefined term...

I am almost sure you take the derivative of the numerator and the derivative of the denominator... The lim F(x)/G(x) = lim F'(x)/G'(x). That's how you eliminate the undefined term...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help w/ Calc (Limit problems)

Postby Guru13 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm still in pre-calc (it's good for my college application being ahead of my class in math, but it's tough not having many people to ask questions to), so I can't help, but if I could, I definitely would. :-b ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk