Reeling in a Player - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Reeling in a Player

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reeling in a Player

Postby DarKobra » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:05 am

I have a player in one of my leagues who makes crazy trades all the time and is absolutely convinced he is giving them something fair based on the latest "upside" reports or potential people cutting into playing time. We are talking STUD players for a handful of half-decent players who he believes will equal the value or fill perceived needs, but will mostly ride the pine on the team theyre being traded to.

Advice of what to tell him? I'm one of the commissioners so I have the power to execute ideas here.
DarKobra
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Reeling in a Player

Postby Peacesells » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Please clarify...is this player offering the studs or recieving the studs. Are these trades actually going through or just being proposed? And, the most important question...why does it bother you someone tries to make alot of trades...people can reject alot of trades pretty easy.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby DarKobra » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:44 pm

He is offering a handful of players for studs. In the past, he has used his knowledge of players and positions and perceived needs in order to convince people that making a trade would be a good idea. In these circumstances typically there would be pretty negative feedback from the rest of the league, and they would be overturned.

Making trades doesnt bother me. Making poor trades that take advantage of my other players does. Sure, I can talk some of my players in circles, but that doesnt mean i need to take advantage of them and get the whole league upset with me.
DarKobra
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Script-Ohio » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:05 pm

If he is getting good trades then it sounds like your league doesn't know what they are doing and are pissed off that he does. There is no way in hell you should step in because he's a better manager than other people. No one is forcing them to accept trades. I wouldn't want to play in your league if my trade proposals got vetoed and the commissioner thought of stepping in just because I'm better at judging player value than everyone else.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DarKobra » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Its just not honest. Guess its win at all costs, eh?
DarKobra
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Script-Ohio » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:12 pm

It's not his job, or your job, to manage every team. It's an owner's job to make decisions for his own team and that's it. Some people are better at it than others and those people shouldn't be penalized.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Peacesells » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Not too mention it is part of the learning process. The other owners will learn to value their players better if they make a few bad trades. It will actually grow the competence of the league.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Don't bring down your best owner to everyone else's level. Bring them up to his. If you really want to make your league more competitive, educate your other owners by explaining basic principles.

For example, something every owner should understand when evaluating a trade proposal - BENCH PLAYERS DON'T SCORE FANTASY POINTS:

How many players am I receiving that I will start each week, and how many points will those starters get me?

How many starting players am I giving up, and how many points will they (or are they) getting me?

Generally speaking, those need to be nearly even for you to consider the trade. As I always say to my owners, you can offer me all the hundreds of players in the Arena and Canadian football leagues for my kicker, and there is no way I agree to that trade. Or, put in a more practical way, give me Julius Jones, Brandon Jackson, Lendale White, and Ladell Betts for the injury-prone Westbrook - sure I am getting a lot of bodies, but I can only start ONE of them, costing me a ton of fantasy points each week.

Just explain basic principles like this to the other owners so they know how to evaluate trades. Then this guy will be unable to take advantage of them.

(Of course, any time you're trading bench players or upside players, especially early in the season, it is every man's determination of what value to place on that. But a good rule of thumb is simply, how many points am I getting and how many points am I giving up. Guys on your bench don't score you points.)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Crippler » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:52 pm

Are you their mommy? Seriously, if they want to make idiotic trades, then either deal with it or join a real league. It's not your place to tell someone that they shouldnt accept a trade.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:21 am

Seems like he is taking buy low, sell high to another level. I hate getting bombarded with stupid trades but, eventually, everyone will know his MO.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner