Drafting 12th and What Ive Noticed... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting 12th and What Ive Noticed...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Drafting 12th and What Ive Noticed...

Postby chipper » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:11 pm

After doing many mock drafts myself, I definitely agree with the RB, RB strategy (pretty much regardless of what number pick you get).

However I do think that a quality receiving core can be taken in rounds 6-9. So for me, I would never pick more than 1 WR with my first 5 picks (unless of course someone fell pretty far down the overall rankings)

Guys like Holmes, Crayton, Furrey, V Jackson, Hackett, Henderson, etc..... can all be had later or really late, and are (on a weekly matchup basis) going to be pretty much as good as a all the recievers outside of the big 6 or 7. If you have one #1 reciever and then 4 guys you can play the best matchups with, that's going to be enough as long as you've used your first 5 picks wisely.

I've even found myself going: RB, RB, Gates, Rb, QB (and ending up with three #1 RBs, the #1 TE, and possibly the last top tier QB (Bulger or McNabb). If at pick 5 one of those QBs is not there, then you can grab that #1 WR right there, and wait a round or two for a V. Young-Kitna-Rivers. Then grab that Bears or Ravens D with your 7th pick and fill in the #2 WR later.
With that strategy, you've now got a "# 1 guy" at 3 RB spots, the TE spot, the QB spot, and your Def spot......AND you are able to use the WR depth late in the draft while other guys are grabbing their TE or Def.

This strategy has worked well for me in my mock and real drafts.
chipper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:04 pm

The drop off between your top 15-20 WRs and the ones you named for your 6-9th pick is a frickin' CHASM. :)
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Goody wrote:I just drafted 12th in a 12 team league and recieved the following with my first 6 picks:

1.12 Westbrook
2.01 S.Smith
3.12 Portis
4.01 Javon Walker
5.12 Branch
6.01 Betts

Somehow, Westbrook fell to me at 12 due to everyone worrying about his durability. I took him and didn't think twice. I was going to take a 2nd RB here, but I felt I could get value in the third with a guy like Portis, so I took S.Smith. I ended up with a good duo of RB and WR. If I would have taken a RB with my 2nd pick, I would have been stuck with a guy like Javon Walker as my WR#1 and would have been much more thin at the position. The only place I am hurting is at QB, since they were taken off the board so quickly, I decided to wait until the later rounds and grabbed RBs and WRs early on. I am happy with how my draft went.

Here is my starting lineup:

QB - Cutler/Garrard
RB - Westbrook, Portis
WR - S.Smith, J. Walker
TE - Winslow
K - Wilkins
Def - Baltimore

i just dont agree with steve smith at 13th overall... u claim portis is good value in the 3rd, but ssmith is bad value at 13, especially bc he may not even finish as the bonified best wr this season, i mean if he was hands down the best wr, i could maybe see value at 13th overall, but hes not and there isnt any value there. the way i see it is there are roughly 12 top backs (13 if u consider mcgahee) and assuming peyton goes b4 the 12th pick, you can gaurantee 2 top backs, and after them, with rbbc so popular now, there is a huge dropoff... i think getting 2 top backs n then evans, javon (or ive seen colston, boldin, or driver fall often)

i know its a relatively basic strategy, but ussually i go rb rb wr wr wr qb and end up with two top backs two very good wrs a solid qb and a solid 3rd wr in vjax or mclayton
12 Team .5 PPR Money League
1st Place 8-4 (1456.70 Pts)

QB Schaub
WR RWayne
WR Driver
RB DWill
RB RGrant
TE VDavis
W/R Mendenhall
K Tynes
DEF WW
BENCH TJHoush,DMC,Winslow,DAvery,Arizonas D (for Playoffs)
NYMetsIn2k4
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Goody » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:58 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:
Goody wrote:I just drafted 12th in a 12 team league and recieved the following with my first 6 picks:

1.12 Westbrook
2.01 S.Smith
3.12 Portis
4.01 Javon Walker
5.12 Branch
6.01 Betts

Somehow, Westbrook fell to me at 12 due to everyone worrying about his durability. I took him and didn't think twice. I was going to take a 2nd RB here, but I felt I could get value in the third with a guy like Portis, so I took S.Smith. I ended up with a good duo of RB and WR. If I would have taken a RB with my 2nd pick, I would have been stuck with a guy like Javon Walker as my WR#1 and would have been much more thin at the position. The only place I am hurting is at QB, since they were taken off the board so quickly, I decided to wait until the later rounds and grabbed RBs and WRs early on. I am happy with how my draft went.

QB - Cutler/Garrard
RB - Westbrook, Portis
WR - S.Smith, J. Walker
TE - Winslow
K - Wilkins
Def - Baltimore

i just dont agree with steve smith at 13th overall... u claim portis is good value in the 3rd, but ssmith is bad value at 13, especially bc he may not even finish as the bonified best wr this season, i mean if he was hands down the best wr, i could maybe see value at 13th overall, but hes not and there isnt any value there. the way i see it is there are roughly 12 top backs (13 if u consider mcgahee) and assuming peyton goes b4 the 12th pick, you can gaurantee 2 top backs, and after them, with rbbc so popular now, there is a huge dropoff... i think getting 2 top backs n then evans, javon (or ive seen colston, boldin, or driver fall often)

i know its a relatively basic strategy, but ussually i go rb rb wr wr wr qb and end up with two top backs two very good wrs a solid qb and a solid 3rd wr in vjax or mclayton

I know what you are saying and believe me, I usually always go RB.RB in the first 2 rounds. But with the 12th pick and the way I felt the draft was going, none of the top 5 WR would be left at my 3.12 pick. That is 23 picks before I pick again and the top 9 WR were gone by that point. I have S.Smith and CJ ranked evenly at the top of my WR list. Who knows how he will finish, but I took him as the 1st WR. You may not think he has value at 13, but he has value there if I wait and get a guy like Portis in the 3rd who has top 5 RB capablity, where as the RB I would be selecting at 13 don't in my eyes. I also handcuffed betts later on. By employing this strategy, I ended up with westbrook/portis and s.smith/walker where i would have been westbrook/mcgahee and walker/vincent jackson. I like my picks much more than that. I am also higher on Portis than most people. It was a gamble, so we will see how it works. If S.Smith finishes top 3, I will be happy, and he is definintely capable of doing so.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:13 pm

Goody wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:

1.12 Westbrook
2.01 S.Smith
3.12 Portis
4.01 Javon Walker
5.12 Branch
6.01 Betts

QB - Cutler/Garrard
RB - Westbrook, Portis
WR - S.Smith, J. Walker
TE - Winslow
K - Wilkins
Def - Baltimore

I know what you are saying and believe me, I usually always go RB.RB in the first 2 rounds. But with the 12th pick and the way I felt the draft was going, none of the top 5 WR would be left at my 3.12 pick. That is 23 picks before I pick again and the top 9 WR were gone by that point. I have S.Smith and CJ ranked evenly at the top of my WR list. Who knows how he will finish, but I took him as the 1st WR. You may not think he has value at 13, but he has value there if I wait and get a guy like Portis in the 3rd who has top 5 RB capablity, where as the RB I would be selecting at 13 don't in my eyes. I also handcuffed betts later on. By employing this strategy, I ended up with westbrook/portis and s.smith/walker where i would have been westbrook/mcgahee and walker/vincent jackson. I like my picks much more than that. I am also higher on Portis than most people. It was a gamble, so we will see how it works. If S.Smith finishes top 3, I will be happy, and he is definintely capable of doing so.

ive done countless mock drafts out of the 12th hole and ive never had anything worse than javon/lee evans at wr after going rb-rb... vincent jackson is ussually/almost always available on the 7th pick comeback... so in all honesty, your wr corps would present vjax as your 3rd at worst, definetely not 2nd

QB Schaub
WR RWayne
WR Driver
RB DWill
RB RGrant
TE VDavis
W/R Mendenhall
K Tynes
DEF WW
NYMetsIn2k4
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:45 pm

well i finally drafted, heres the finals roster:

QB- TRomo
WR- TOwens
WR- LEvans
WR- RBrown
RB- RJohnson
RB- RBush
TE- EJohnson
Bench- RB-TBell (det)
Bench- RB-FTaylor (jax)
Bench- RB-DeAngWilliams (car)
Bench-WR MClayton (balt)
Bench- WR-BrJones (tenn)
Bench- WR-BrMarshall (den)
K- DAkers
DEF-Minnesota

Lotsa surprises in this draft, which i figured... TO falling to 3.12 was a surprise... getting Rudi at 1.12 was surprising too. Travis Henry fell to 2.10, which i thought was sick. Palmer went 2.2 which was crazy, but there was a run of QBs in the 2nd round! It was nuts... from middle position i think i coulda made a killing, but i still did ok from the 12 hole. I love Lee Evans and Reggie Brown (got him at 5.12) as my 2 and 3 WRs, and i love Reggie Bush and Rudi Johnson as my RBs. I had to get Romo as the 6.1 pick because Kitna, Rivers, and all the top QBs were off the board due to the settings of the league of course, but i like Romo this season so im not too upset.

QB Schaub
WR RWayne
WR Driver
RB DWill
RB RGrant
TE VDavis
W/R Mendenhall
K Tynes
DEF WW
NYMetsIn2k4
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby benb18a » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:43 am

^^ Sounds just like my draft. I got Romo with the 6.1 in mine, because the passer friendly scoring made sure all the rest were gone at that point. I also had atleast one WR fall to me that I didn't think would on that second turn.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby fantasy baller » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:52 am

for some odd reason, i'm the annual loser when it comes to drafting. its almost always a guarantee that i get the last pick in the draft. only once, last year, did i get something in the front end of a draft (2/3 leagues). i actually landed the first pick in a 16 team league and snatched up 4 rbs in the first 5 rounds, then snatched up travis henry in the last rounds. in my other league, i got the 3rd pick and ended up with lt. those were my favorite drafts because i didn't have to draft so wisely. however, whenever i ended up in the last pick, I knew I always had to draft RB-RB. here's my rationale:

1) draft according to whatever position is most valuable in your league: I usually play with different leagues every year, and each league is really different. the 16 team league, i knew that if i could get as much rbs as i could, i could hold the league hostage. i did. when my kurt warner went down, i had enough rbs (5) to trade to any team out there for a qb. in my other league, qbs were just as valuable as rbs, because every team starts 2 qbs and 2 rbs. so if you wanted to compete, you had to have a good balance between qbs and rbs. this changed my draft strategy a lot. since everyone was gonna grab rbs and qbs in the early rounds, i had to stock up on those 2 positions as fast as possible, cuz the 12th hole will put me at a huge disadvantage if i were to look for my 2nd qb/rb in the 5th or 6th round. knowing that RB was a priority in the league, i had to grab them back to back.

2) the drop offs: like others in this thread have said, the drop offs make a huge difference. in the 12th pick, you HAVE TO target RB-RB, because you will have 2 top 15 (possibly top 10) backs, but if you wait until the 3rd or 4th round to draft your second back, you'll end up with something like maroney and ahman green, when it could've been maroney and bush. you can wait on a qb because the top 5 guys(peyton, bulger, palmer, brady, brees) will last until the 3rd round at worst, and the drop off to the next batch after those guys (kitna, leinart, eli, cutler, rivers/losman/romo, McNabb) aren't as bad as the drop off from Bush to Green. Wouldn't you rather have something like Maroney, Bush, and Kitna instead of Maroney, Palmer, and Green? Kitna may not be Palmer, but he will put up nice numbers.
And drafting a wr in the second round out of the 12 hole? c'mon now. in a standard league, wrs are important but not as important as a reliable RB2 (unless your format is 10 wr yds=pt , or ppr). say you get maroney, chad johnson, and lynch. you have a solid wr, a solid rb1, but your rb2 is really iffy. what if you had maroney, bush, anquan boldin/fitzgerald/burress? they're no chad, but lynch is no bush either. and the drop off from bush to lynch is way bigger than the drop from chad to boldin.

3) in demand: usually, everybody is gonna target rbs in the first round because most league formats make those guys the most valuable. but in my leauge, where you start 2 qbs, everybody loads up on RBS AND QBS. it definitely gives you an upper hand to know what positions are in demand most, as it'll give you a better idea of what you're gonna get. and since most guys will target rbs with their first two picks, you better grab RB-RB with the 12th and 13th picks. in this event, drafting last helps you because you get two solid backs, whereas if you picked first you'd end up with the super back (LT) with a crappy back (Benson or Caddilac, riddled with question marks).

4) value: put value ahead of need when possible, especially after you have your nucleus. this gives you trade bait, and the more leverage you have, the more able you'll be when it comes time to filling out any weaknesses in your team. i figure the value of a player by assessing their risk and comparing it to their reward, and comparing that overall to their consistency over the past few seasons, and then comparing that to how many guys like him are available. then i keep in mind any outside factors (injuries, madden covers, etc.) for instance, McNabb: medium-high risk, medium-high reward, consistent for at least 20 tds, hasn't played more than 14 games over past 3 years and that happened last in 04, and has 3 other guys like him (Kitna, Leinart, Brady... guys that could hit 3500 and 25 tds easy). I wouldn't take him higher than the 4th round, and that's stretching it. I'd also draft a reliable backup with the intent on using that backup as a permanent fill in sometime during the season. with value in mind, RB-RB would yield the most value. with the 12th pick, there's not gonna be a lot of guys left that are similar to your RB2, especially in round 3-4.

Here's my draft. Guess where I drafted at? Notice that I have 4 starting qbs, and that if and when qbs go down, I have guys that people will want just because they have no depth at the position. its the same with RBs for me, because i loaded up on them. as for wr, i was comfortable with Evans and Burress, even though they're not the greatest wrs, because I got 2 solid rbs and 2 solid qbs.

Before I post my draft, here's my personal Pre draft rankings based on a 12 team, 2 qb and 2 rb league.
-QB
Tier 1 1) Peyton 2) Palmer 3) Bulger 4) Brees 5) Brady
Tier 2 6) Kitna 7) leinart 8) McNabb 9) eli 10) romo

-RB
Tier 1 1) LT 2) SJax 3) LJ 4) Gore
Tier 2 5) SA 6) Addai 7) Parker 8) Maroney 9) Westbrook 10) Rudi 11) Henry 12) Bush 13) McGahee

-WR
Tier 1 1)CJ 2) Harrison 3) T.O. 4) Smith 5) Wayne 6) Holt
Tier 2 7) Boldin 8) Fitz 9) Roy Will 10) Javon Walker 11) Andre Johnson 12) Lee Evans

Draft.

Round 1
1. LaDainian Tomlinson JT
2. Steven Jackson shadow
3. Larry Johnson Uncle Sam Sam
4. Joseph Addai Rivers2Addai4
5. Shaun Alexander JAGUARS
6. Peyton Manning manny+mannin...
7. Frank Gore am i in?
8. Brian Westbrook BigDee4Super...
9. Travis Henry Stunner
10. Willie Parker ratattack
11. Rudi Johnson chims
12. Laurence Maroney the chosen One
Round 2
1. Willis McGahee the chosen One
2. Drew Brees chims
3. Carson Palmer ratattack
4. Tom Brady Stunner
5. Reggie Bush BigDee4Super...
6. Donovan McNabb am i in?
7. Ronnie Brown manny+mannin...
8. Marc Bulger JAGUARS
9. Philip Rivers Rivers2Addai4
10. Brandon Jacobs Uncle Sam Sam
11. Cedric Benson shadow
12. Steve Smith JT
Round 3
1. Terrell Owens JT
2. Chad Johnson shadow
3. Tony Romo Uncle Sam Sam
4. Edgerrin James Rivers2Addai4
5. Maurice Jones-Drew JAGUARS
6. Carnell Williams manny+mannin...
7. Thomas Jones am i in?
8. Matt Hasselbeck BigDee4Super...
9. Marshawn Lynch Stunner
10. Vince Young ratattack
11. Marvin Harrison chims
12. Jon Kitna the chosen One
Round 4
1. Matt Leinart the chosen One
2. Ben Roethlisberger chims
3. Antonio Gates ratattack
4. Jay Cutler Stunner
5. Jake Delhomme BigDee4Super...
6. Torry Holt am i in?
7. Larry Fitzgerald manny+mannin...
8. Eli Manning JAGUARS
9. Reggie Wayne Rivers2Addai4
10. Chad Pennington Uncle Sam Sam
11. Roy Williams shadow
12. Brett Favre JT
Round 5
1. Matt Schaub JT
2. Byron Leftwich shadow
3. Anquan Boldin Uncle Sam Sam
4. Andre Johnson Rivers2Addai4
5. Javon Walker JAGUARS
6. Clinton Portis manny+mannin...
7. Marques Colston am i in?
8. Donald Driver BigDee4Super...
9. T.J. Houshmandzadeh Stunner
10. Randy Moss ratattack
11. Jamal Lewis chims
12. Lee Evans the chosen One
Round 6
1. Plaxico Burress the chosen One
2. Santana Moss chims
3. Ahman Green ratattack
4. Deion Branch Stunner
5. Hines Ward BigDee4Super...
6. J.P. Losman am i in?
7. Calvin Johnson manny+mannin...
8. Vincent Jackson JAGUARS
9. Alex Smith Rivers2Addai4
10. Laveranues Coles Uncle Sam Sam
11. Vernon Davis shadow
12. Tony Gonzalez JT
Round 7
1. Marion Barber III JT
2. Jason Campbell shadow
3. Jeremy Shockey Uncle Sam Sam
4. Adrian Peterson Rivers2Addai4
5. Bernard Berrian JAGUARS
6. Rex Grossman manny+mannin...
7. Brandon Jackson am i in?
8. Braylon Edwards BigDee4Super...
9. Deuce McAllister Stunner
10. Reggie Brown ratattack
11. Todd Heap chims
12. Daunte Culpepper the chosen One
Round 8
1. LaMont Jordan the chosen One
2. D.J. Hackett chims
3. Chicago ratattack
4. Trent Green Stunner
5. Chris Cooley BigDee4Super...
6. Jeff Garcia am i in?
7. Baltimore manny+mannin...
8. Michael Vick JAGUARS
9. Steve McNair Rivers2Addai4
10. Tatum Bell Uncle Sam Sam
11. Chris Chambers shadow
12. Joey Galloway JT
Round 9
1. New England JT
2. LenDale White shadow
3. Darrell Jackson Uncle Sam Sam
4. Kellen Winslow Rivers2Addai4
5. L.J. Smith JAGUARS
6. Greg Jennings manny+mannin...
7. Donte' Stallworth am i in?
8. Joey Harrington BigDee4Super...
9. Devery Henderson Stunner
10. Julius Jones ratattack
11. Jerious Norwood chims
12. Jerry Porter the chosen One
Round 10
1. DeAngelo Williams the chosen One
2. San Diego chims
3. Terry Glenn ratattack
4. Jason Witten Stunner
5. Jerricho Cotchery BigDee4Super...
6. Kevin Jones am i in?
7. Santonio Holmes manny+mannin...
8. Kevin Curtis JAGUARS
9. Mark Clayton Rivers2Addai4
10. Damon Huard Uncle Sam Sam
11. Brandon Marshall shadow
12. Adam Vinatieri JT
Round 11
1. Dan Klecko JT
2. Drew Bennett shadow
3. Muhsin Muhammad Uncle Sam Sam
4. Alge Crumpler Rivers2Addai4
5. Miami JAGUARS
6. Benjamin Watson manny+mannin...
7. Anthony Gonzalez am i in?
8. Pittsburgh BigDee4Super...
9. Ladell Betts Stunner
10. Isaac Bruce ratattack
11. Ronald Curry chims
12. Randy McMichael the chosen One
Round 12
1. Philadelphia the chosen One
2. Nate Kaeding chims
3. Shayne Graham ratattack
4. DeMeco Ryans Stunner
5. Robbie Gould BigDee4Super...
6. Eric Johnson am i in?
7. Neil Rackers manny+mannin...
8. Joe Horn JAGUARS
9. Dallas Rivers2Addai4
10. Vernand Morency Uncle Sam Sam
11. Denver shadow
12. Fred Taylor JT
Round 13
1. Dallas Clark JT
2. Brady Quinn shadow
3. Derrick Mason Uncle Sam Sam
4. Brandon Jones Rivers2Addai4
5. Dwayne Bowe JAGUARS
6. Justin Miller manny+mannin...
7. Malcom Floyd am i in?
8. Ellis Hobbs BigDee4Super...
9. Matt Jones Stunner
10. Brodie Croyle ratattack
11. Brandon Stokley chims
12. Zach Thomas the chosen One
Round 14
1. Tarvaris Jackson the chosen One
2. Dominic Rhodes chims
3. Jacksonville ratattack
4. Jeff Wilkins Stunner
5. Chester Taylor BigDee4Super...
6. DeShaun Foster am i in?
7. Adrian Peterson manny+mannin...
8. Chris Henry JAGUARS
9. Wes Welker Rivers2Addai4
10. Heath Miller Uncle Sam Sam
11. Michael Clayton shadow
12. Eddie Kennison JT
Round 15
1. Seattle JT
2. Charlie Frye shadow
3. Michael Turner Uncle Sam Sam
4. David Akers Rivers2Addai4
5. Warrick Dunn JAGUARS
6. Troy Williamson manny+mannin...
7. James Jones am i in?
8. Chris Henry BigDee4Super...
9. JaMarcus Russell Stunner
10. Brian Urlacher ratattack
11. Adam Archuleta chims
12. Josh Brown the chosen One
Round 16
1. Drew Carter the chosen One
2. Shawne Merriman chims
3. Mike Bell ratattack
4. Anthony Thomas Stunner
5. Carolina BigDee4Super...
6. London Fletcher am i in?
7. Brooks Bollinger manny+mannin...
8. Nate Burleson JAGUARS
9. A.J. Hawk Rivers2Addai4
10. Minnesota Uncle Sam Sam
11. Stephen Gostkowski shadow
12. Marty Booker JT
Round 17
1. Jason Elam JT
2. Brian Griese shadow
3. Josh Scobee Uncle Sam Sam
4. Leon Washington Rivers2Addai4
5. Olindo Mare JAGUARS
6. Owen Daniels manny+mannin...
7. New York am i in?
8. Tony Scheffler BigDee4Super...
9. Keith Bulluck Stunner
10. Julius Peppers ratattack
11. Kevin Walter chims
12. David Carr the chosen One
Round 18
1. Reuben Droughns the chosen One
2. Joe Jurevicius chims
3. Jason Hanson ratattack
4. Oakland Stunner
5. John Kasay BigDee4Super...
6. Joe Nedney am i in?
7. Chris Simms manny+mannin...
8. David Garrard JAGUARS
9. Patrick Crayton Rivers2Addai4
10. Mike Vrabel Uncle Sam Sam
11. Brian Leonard shadow
12. Kurt Warner JT

My team overall

the chosen One
1. (12) Laurence Maroney
2. (13) Willis McGahee
3. (36) Jon Kitna
4. (37) Matt Leinart
5. (60) Lee Evans
6. (61) Plaxico Burress
7. (84) Daunte Culpepper
8. (85) LaMont Jordan
9. (108) Jerry Porter
10. (109) DeAngelo Williams
11. (132) Randy McMichael
12. (133) Philadelphia
13. (156) Zach Thomas
14. (157) Tarvaris Jackson
15. (180) Josh Brown
16. (181) Drew Carter
17. (204) David Carr
18. (205) Reuben Droughns

Sorry for the long ass post. Not meant to be condescending or anything, its just the way i look at ff.
fantasy baller
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk