Beginner Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Beginner Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Beginner Question

Postby BenTheMan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Hello all---

I am new to Fantasy Football, and would like to get a few words of wisdom. I've done a bit of homework, but there is no substitute for actually talking to people.

I am in a 10 team league, with the third pick. We get points for receptions, passing TD's are worth only 4 pts (bonuses for longer plays), but otherwise I think the scoring is standard. I get to keep Brian Westbrook, which cost me a fourth round pick.

The question is, how does the scoring change the ranking of the RB's? I have seen many ``cheat sheets''---LT is always #1, but the #2 guys are generally up for grabs. For example, Shaun Alexander plays in a poor defensive division, and Lerry Johnson is Larry Johnson. Because we get points for receptions, I think that Steven Jackson should be ranked pretty highly, along with Reggie Bush.

My question is, who is a good 1st rd/3rd pick, given the scoring? Again, right now Steven Jackson is my main choce, assuming that the first pick is LT and the second pick is one of the other elite backs. Any suggestions?

Right now, my second round pick (17th overall) is slated for an RB or WR. Should there be any preference for one or the other? My guess was that it would be nice to have three very good running backs at the getgo.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
BenTheMan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Beginner Question

Postby MasterOfDisaster » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:23 pm

Well, you have 3 possiblilities for your #3 pick: Steven Jackson, Shawn Alexander, or Larry Johnson. I haven't played in a PPR league before, but Jackson would be your best bet in that case since he is more involved in the passing game than the other 2. As you said, Alexander is in a division known for weak defenses, and a bad year for LJ is 1200-1500yds and double digit TDs. So, go for Jackson if he's still available, but if not, you can take Alexander or LJ with confidence. I'm leaning more towards LJ.

As for your 2nd round pick, the general strategy says to go with 2 RBs first. RBs are the workhorses of your team and they will usually be the ones who do the bulk of your scoring. By pick #17, all the top tier RBs will most likely be gone, but you'll probably still have a chance at Deuce McAllister, Thomas Jones, or Willis McGahee. Hold off on getting a WR till the 3rd round, even though people will be getting the top tier WRs in the 2nd. You'll probably still be able to get a top WR then. Be on the look out for Reggie Wayne, Plaxico Burress, Larry Fitz, or TJ Whosyourmama (Houshmandzadeh).
DISCLAIMER: The opinions of this post are just that, opinions. Success is not guaranteed. Please use your own judgement before making your decisions. If you are answering a topic I made, thanks for your help and I will always answer any link you leave.
MasterOfDisaster
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Playing Tecmo Super Bowl - You don't know about Montana to Rice!

Postby BenTheMan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:36 pm

Disaster---

Thanks for the advice. So I should go for two RB right out? Even though I already have Westbrook? It seems to me to be a question of whether I trade a #1 WR and a #2 RB for a #2 WR and a #3 RB.

Thanks.
BenTheMan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:10 pm

With that pick, in my mind there is no viable option other than to take a RB. IMO Steven Jackson is definatly the way to go there, as I like him SIGNIFICANTLY more thean any other player in the league (aside from LT). If he is there at your 3rd pick, take him in a heart beat. If he is not there, I would personally go Shaun Alexander, however my guess is that the majority of the people would tell you to go LJ. Then with the following pick, I'd take a WR.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Beginner's Forum