Help with a Company Fantasy Football League! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Help with a Company Fantasy Football League!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with a Company Fantasy Football League!

Postby MascisMan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 pm

Found out today that I will be pick number 4 in our department Fantasy Football league. These are my co-workers so there is a great need to smoke them all. [Wink]

Its a snake draft so after 4 I have 21. Ugh. The league is with CBS Sportsline which gives 6 pts for ALL TD's, there is no PPR, and we get 2 RB and 3 WR on the starting lineups. 2 RB (instead of 3) may be good news considering the long gap between rd 1 and rd 2 for me.

For pick number 4 I will probably get to choose between LJ, Gore, Addai, or Alexander depending on how the first 3 go down.

Here is my dilemma. By the time I go in rd. 2 it may be QB time. I normally wouldnt grab a QB this early but the 6 pt passing TD's gives them higher value. Now I could wait 7 more spots (rd 3-28) to grab my QB and get my second runner at 21. Im sure my decision will be made on whats available but I know I want a top 5 QB considering their value in this league.

My other fear is the gap between rd 3 (28) and rd. 4 (45). If I grab a running back at 21 or 28 then I have a long wait before choosing my #1 WR. Since I have to fill 3 WR to start, should I go RB/RB/QB, RB/QB/RB or RB/QB/WR?

Another variable is that we get 9 starters (QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, D/ST, K) and only 5 on the bench. So for my bench I was thinking of aiming for 2 RB, 2WR, and a handcuff QB. How does that sound?

I understand that a lot will depend on what is available at the time but these guys play every year so they know the ins and outs of Fantasy Football. So lets assume the draft order will go like most projections.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading and helping out!
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help with a Company Fantasy Football League!

Postby Atog » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:41 pm

Having 6 Points-Per Passing TD doesn't increase the value of QBs that much outside of the top few QBs because you can always get good value later in the draft in guys like Favre and Schaub.
In such a big league I'd definitely go RB-RB because you want somebody consistent to lean on and top RBs will definitely be those guys. I wouldn't worry about WRs because there's good value spread out there too in late-rounds guys like Greg Jennings.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cowsvils » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:51 pm

The difference between the number 1 QB and the number 10 QB last year was 10 touchdowns, or only 1.2 pts per week as compared to 4 pts per pass td, so don't put that much stock in 6 pts per TD. I would go RB-RB-QB(if one of the big four is left at 28, which they should be) and then maybe two wideouts
cowsvils
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MascisMan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 pm

Here is how I fared. I waited one round too long for a QB as you will see. But my RB's and WR's are strong. I think I will be able to move a reserve RB for good serviceable QB with little problems. Here is how the draft went down:

4. Larry Johnson
21. Travis Henry
28. Terrell Owens
45. Cedric Benson (I had to derail to get him here, to good of value)
52. Marques Colston
68. Isaac Bruce
75. Alge Crumpler
92. LaDell Betts
99. Chad Pennington (best available, I promise)
116. Muhsin Muhammed
123. Joe Horn
140. Jake Delhomme
147. Vikings D/ST
164. J. Kasay

So here is my depth chart:

1 QB: Pennington, Delhomme (ugh)
2 RB: LJohnson, THenry, Benson, Betts
3 WR: TOwens, Colston, Bruce, Muhammed, Horn
1 TE: Crumpler
1 D/ST: Vikings
1 K: Kasay

So my weakness is obviously at QB. Is it worth trying to trade for a better one now or should I wait a few weeks into the season to see how things shake out?

Here are the QB's on the wire:

Grossman, Harrington, Garrard, Campbell, T. Green

Also, Furrey and Welker are out on the wire. So I can move my bench WR's if need be.
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Atog » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:30 pm

I think you did pretty well in your draft. Your QBs probably aren't as bad as you think they are, but I'd keep an eye on the WW.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MascisMan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Thanks..

as a side note, should I drop Horn for Welker, Furrey, or Jurevicius?
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Atog » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:59 pm

MascisMan wrote:Thanks..

as a side note, should I drop Horn for Welker, Furrey, or Jurevicius?

Nah. I believe in Joey and Welker and Furrey at 3rd WRs no matter how you slice it. Jurevicius may be also.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MascisMan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Hey Atog do you think it would be worth my time to move my #3 WR Bruce for an upside QB like Leinart or Cutler?
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:13 pm

I think you had a solid draft. I understand how hard it would be to not take Benson with that pick, and I'm high on Benson this year, but I still don't like drafting 3 RB in the first 4 rounds. I'm guessing at least one of the top 6 QB's was still there at that pick, and I really would have taken a QB there if you didn't like any of the WR that were available. Either way though, I like your team, and you have a shot at being very good this year.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MascisMan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:26 pm

Thanks Flesh. Here are how the top 6 QB's went in my draft...believe it or not.

P. Manning #3
C. Palmer #5
T. Brady #23
D. Brees #24
M. Bulger #34
D. McNabb #37

I picked TO at 28 and my thinking here was that either Bulger or McNabb would be there at 45. Nope, so I grabbed Benson since the Manning, Bulger, Brady, and Palmer owner were weak at RB.

Heck look where these three went:

T.Romo #55
P. Rivers #56
J. Kitna #57

The three above were the ones I was targeting for pick number 68...so they were gone. So I thought to myself well I can grab my third WR here (Bruce) at 68 then I pick again at 76 so Leinart or Cutler will be there. Nope, Leinart goes 72 and Cutler at 74.
Last edited by MascisMan on Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum