Help with a Company Fantasy Football League - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Help with a Company Fantasy Football League

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with a Company Fantasy Football League

Postby MascisMan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Found out today that I will be pick number 4 in our department Fantasy Football league. These are my co-workers so there is a great need to smoke them all. ;-D

Its a snake draft so after 4 I have 21. Ugh. The league is with CBS Sportsline which gives 6 pts for ALL TD's, there is no PPR, and we get 2 RB and 3 WR on the starting lineups. 2 RB (instead of 3) may be good news considering the long gap between rd 1 and rd 2 for me.

For pick number 4 I will probably get to choose between LJ, Gore, Addai, or Alexander depending on how the first 3 go down.

Here is my dilemma. By the time I go in rd. 2 it may be QB time. I normally wouldnt grab a QB this early but the 6 pt passing TD's gives them higher value. Now I could wait 7 more spots (rd 3-28) to grab my QB and get my second runner at 21. Im sure my decision will be made on whats available but I know I want a top 5 QB considering their value in this league.

My other fear is the gap between rd 3 (28) and rd. 4 (45). If I grab a running back at 21 or 28 then I have a long wait before choosing my #1 WR. Since I have to fill 3 WR to start, should I go RB/RB/QB, RB/QB/RB or RB/QB/WR?

Another variable is that we get 9 starters (QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, D/ST, K) and only 5 on the bench. So for my bench I was thinking of aiming for 2 RB, 2WR, and a handcuff QB. How does that sound?

I understand that a lot will depend on what is available at the time but these guys play every year so they know the ins and outs of Fantasy Football. So lets assume the draft order will go like most projections.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading and helping out!
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help with a Company Fantasy Football League

Postby dream_017 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:55 pm

Welcome to the cafe ;-D

I would load up on RBs and WRs in the first 5 rounds, a QB can wait until round 6 or later. I would use the bench like you described, 1 QB, 2 RB/WR ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:19 pm

I definately think you should go RB/QB/RB. I've found that there are really 5 surefire QBs (not counting McNabb since he'll get injured) and with 6TDs all around getting a guy like Palmer or Brees will be a huge boost to your team. And with the many uncertain RB situations, you're more likely to find a good RB in the third round.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:57 pm

MascisMan wrote:For pick number 4 I will probably get to choose between LJ, Gore, Addai, or Alexander depending on how the first 3 go down.

I'd take Gore, then Addai, then LJ, then SA out of that group.

Here is my dilemma. By the time I go in rd. 2 it may be QB time. I normally wouldnt grab a QB this early but the 6 pt passing TD's gives them higher value. Now I could wait 7 more spots (rd 3-28) to grab my QB and get my second runner at 21. Im sure my decision will be made on whats available but I know I want a top 5 QB considering their value in this league.

I'm actually a huge fan of drafting late 2nd round. If people overvalue QBs because of the 6 point TDs, you could get a killer #2 RB. If not, Portis is slipping in almost all drafts, and a huge value for his top 10 upside. If he stays healthy, and your 1st round doesnt bust, those two picks will carry you to the playoffs at least.

Dont take a QB due to 6 point TDs. All QBs will score higher, the difference between the 1st and 10th best QB will stay relatively the same, and the abundance of depth won't change. Many people overall QBs with this scoring, and it can cripple what should've been a good team. It sounds like you're already getting caught up in that, dont.

My other fear is the gap between rd 3 (28) and rd. 4 (45). If I grab a running back at 21 or 28 then I have a long wait before choosing my #1 WR. Since I have to fill 3 WR to start, should I go RB/RB/QB, RB/QB/RB or RB/QB/WR?

Why the fear? Get 2 RBs and a WR with your first 3 picks. Plaxico or a similar WR will very well fall to you in the 4th, and you can almost certainly get one of Bulger/McNabb/Kitna in the 5th. All 3 could end up top 5 QB, and you wouldn't be sacrificing to get Brady/Brees/Palmer, who will likely only fair marginally better.

Another variable is that we get 9 starters (QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, D/ST, K) and only 5 on the bench. So for my bench I was thinking of aiming for 2 RB, 2WR, and a handcuff QB. How does that sound?

That bench is terrible. You definitely have the right idea. 4 RBs, 5 WRs, 2 QBs sounds right. Whoever is the weakest by your TE, DEF, K bye weeks should get cut. Or if you DEF or K isn't better than average, drop them during their bye for a team who's bye has passed, and keep that RB or WR depth.

I understand that a lot will depend on what is available at the time but these guys play every year so they know the ins and outs of Fantasy Football. So lets assume the draft order will go like most projections.

If they know how to draft, then be flexible, and look for the value picks. Go in with a strategy, but don't be afraid to radically change depending on who they pick up. Even amongst veteran owners there will be surprise picks, mayb a guy really high on Vincent jackson, or someone who thinks Reggie Bush can manage top 10 numbers splitting time. If the QB you want isn't there, don't reach just because of the scoring, get another starter of better value else where and make that your strength. Don't take a kicker or Defense early (if you're new they are expecting it in all likelihood).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lordrevolution » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:09 am

A Bulger/McNabb/Kitna in the 5th? You kidding me? Maybe... maybe Kitna in the early 5th, but I've yet to see any of the top 6 QBs make it past the end of the 4th. And 6 points per TD makes a guy like Manning or Palmer, who will score more TDs then any RB or WR not named Tomlinson, worth that much more. The extra 2 points per TD is 50% more then most leagues and 33% of the total points per TD. I'd rather a steady guy I know will produce week in and week out, then a WR will flop a few weeks during the season.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:14 am

Don't take a Qb in the 2nd, big mistake. Go RB/WR in the 2nd and RB/WR in the 3rd. If Bulger, Brees, Brady or Palmer are there in the 4th take one. Otherwise look for Kitna in the 6th or 7th if you really need a QB. I'd recommend waiting till the 8th or 9th and grabbing Big Ben or Eli though.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MascisMan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:26 am

thanks so much for the replies guys!

Lot to ponder here. I think Im deadset on RB/RB/WR for the first 3 rounds. Then I will have to play it by ear on whats available for 4 and 5 (although 1 will definitely be a WR).

It would be great if McNabb slipped to me in the 5th, then I could take a WR in the 4th and 6th and basically have my starting lineup.
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:51 am

A good basic way to draft is RB RB WR Wr then starting in the 5th take Kitna if poss. otherwise just take another WR.
If you wait untill round 6 or later for a QB you should be able to get someone like Cutler, Romo, Rivers which isn't all bad even a QB like Farve in the 8th or 9th is not terrible.
Just make sure to draft a D in round 13 (be ready to go D of the wk. this yr which has worked out well for me) I suggest maybe Sea. for wk one, and a kicker in round 14.
In rounds 8-12 take any sleeper RBs that are available like Norwood, Jackson, Jordan, Foster. Approx. 50% of RBs will get hurt at some time during the season be ready to pounce on any opportunity that happens during the yr.
Sounds like your in NFL.com which is a format I've played the last 5 yrs.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:03 pm

To help you out a little more with the value of QBs, I play in a 12 team experienced league that starts 2QBs and scores 6 pts per TD. Even in this league,Kitna fell to the fourth. Since you only start 1 QB, you will be more than fine to wait it out and take whatever QBs fall. Even if you are the last team to take their first QB, you can still get a Romo/Cutler/Hass/Rivers/Leinart/BRoth. At least two of these guys should be there for you to take after the other teams have their starters.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby MascisMan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Cool thanks for the replies guys! I think I have a strategy in place! My draft is in a few hours so I will report back with what I end up with.
MascisMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk