scraping a team post draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

scraping a team post draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

scraping a team post draft?

Postby Max Power » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:41 pm

I posted this in the commish corner, Im just hopin to get some more hits over here...

although I am not the commish, I am heading this up for him because he has other issues he needs to tend to.

Long story short...12 team league $150 buy in. We all know each other. Commish made a mistake and let two teams draft who had not paid the fee yet. He knows the guys, so the fact that they are stiffin him just makes matter worse.

I posted the teams in the classifieds. One is very solid, the other has potential, but isnt that great.

My concern is that no one will pick up these teams. a $150 buy in for a team you dont get to draft is a hard sell.

Now this is where I am looking for some help/advice... Commish has offered to keep both teams active and alter rosters as nessasary. Knowing my league, this probably wont fly. Conflict of interest reasons. Then the issue of what happens if these teams win it all or atleast a top 3 finish where the payouts are?

So the other thought is to disban the teams and do a mini draft, however there really is no fair way to do this.

Anyone out there have this type of issue before? any advice as to what should be done? Also if you are reading this and are interested in a team or know someone who is, let me know.

Thanks
Max
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: scraping a team post draft?

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:53 pm

This is the commish screwing up big time. I'm sorry, but I dont care if you're well off, you don't bend the rules when everyone is throwing in 150 dollars. No payment, no team. That's how any money league should operate. Now you end up with this quagmire, and honestly, as impossible as the timing is, the commish needs to find 2 owners and redo the entire draft. Only way to have a shot at a clean finish for this league. Even if you have to sacrifice the first week or two of the season and play a shorter schedule, its better than having two dead teams or any of the issues you described above.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:08 am

I agree, this is the commish's fault, and I would think that's a good enough reason to not have him as a commish, personally. Nothing like getting the draft the way you want it, and then finding out that it's not going to count. That is a HUGE bummer, as many can attest.

It's not the end of the world, though.

You can get 2 owners who will play for free, with either no $$$ incentive at the end, or a reduced incentive at the end. It shouldn't be hard to find people who are willing to help run a team actively for a season. It will, however, be pretty much impossible to find anyone to buy into a redraft, running someone else's draft results. Having those teams active, but with no buy in and no payout is a dilemma, but shouldn't end the league.

Ideally, you just do a 10 team redraft, don't worry about getting 2 more teams, etc. You're going to "hear it" from the guys who landed 1st and 2nd pick, but it is what it is. Give everyone the option of just getting their money back and not having a season, redrafting, or having actual owners play those 2 teams for free.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Darth Hungous » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:50 am

It would be easier to get new owners if you do the draft over and if you can't find new owners, a 10 team draft is the only way to get out of this mess. I think drafting again is your only option.
Darth Hungous
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby chipper » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:51 am

If you can change the scoring to Total Points settings, then you can just put those players on the bench or start them or whatever. That's the only way without redrafting.
chipper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:01 am

Why all the drama?

Change the league to 10 teams and set it up as "Offline draft". then enter all teams as they are now except the two teams that are not paid.

Next, lock all the players that were drafted by those teams - if not able to do so by the site you are using then do so with a "house rule" that makes them untouchable - Commish has the ability on any site i have ever used to remove these players by force from someone's roster if they are picked up...

This way all the owners that paid get the teams they drafted and those that didn't pay get nuked without influencing the rest of the season outcome. Sure some of their players MIGHT have ended up on the wire at some point in the season and locking them out completely changes that possibility slightly - but it's a minor thing IMO compared to redoing the draft or any of the other extremes being proposed in this thread...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Max Power » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:20 am

Hey guys thanks for the responses! ;-D

So I was brain storming last night and this morning and come up with this idea...let me hear what you think...

The big issue with selling the teams is that people dont want to spend money on teams they didnt draft. Plus they might think some of the players taken went too early.

So here is my idea. Create an expanison style draft. Each of the ten paying owners will get to protect 12 of thier 15 players. The new owners will get to draft 2 rounds from this new player pool. One a paid team has someone taken, the other players that team didnt protect are off limits.

I realize it will generally be a Def, K, and the teams worse position player. But teams with Chicago/Baltimore and anyone in love with thier Kicker might put two position players out there.

Here are the rosters for those who might be interested

Team A (Wavier wire 1)

QB: Cutler, Delhomme
RB: Bush, Maroney, Lamont, Brandon Jackson, Sammy Morris
WR: TJ Housh, Andre Johnson, Reggie Brown, Mark Clayton
TE: Shockey, Crumpler
K: Scobee
D/ST: Carolina

Team B (Waiver wire 6)

QB: Bulger, Eli Manning
RB: Westbrook, Edge, Chris Brown, Barlow (his team has been locked)
WR: Hines Ward, Chambers, Deion Branch, Drew Bennett, Chris Henry
TE: Cooley, Owen Daniels
K: Vinateri
D/ST: Jax
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 am

lmcjaho wrote:Why all the drama?

Change the league to 10 teams and set it up as "Offline draft". then enter all teams as they are now except the two teams that are not paid.

Next, lock all the players that were drafted by those teams - if not able to do so by the site you are using then do so with a "house rule" that makes them untouchable - Commish has the ability on any site i have ever used to remove these players by force from someone's roster if they are picked up...

This way all the owners that paid get the teams they drafted and those that didn't pay get nuked without influencing the rest of the season outcome. Sure some of their players MIGHT have ended up on the wire at some point in the season and locking them out completely changes that possibility slightly - but it's a minor thing IMO compared to redoing the draft or any of the other extremes being proposed in this thread...

I think it is a little bigger deal than this. First these guys signed up at $150 each to play in and draft in a 12 team league. There is a pretty decent difference in a 12 team vs a 10 team league. You can't just take those players out of circulation, because these guys would have drafted different had it been a 10 team league and now some top guys will not even be available in the league.

As for your latest post Max -- If I was in the league, I would not like this option either. Again, these guys paid a decent amount and drafted based on the current 12 team set-up. If I were one of the other(current) owners, I would scrap this league asking for a refund, unless you can get everyone together to re-draft as either a 10 or 12 team league.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby jdogg_ffc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:44 pm

If I was in this league I would just want to shut it down and get a refund. Also I would want to kick the 2 welchers and the comm. butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a matter of fact why haven't you done this yet?
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby chipper » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Just change it from H2H to total points and lock the other 2 teams. Easy. No redrafting needed.

It's not optimal, but really the only fair and non-elaborate way to do it.
chipper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk