That's My King! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

That's My King!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: That's My King!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:42 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:It's all cool to discuss religion. That is if religion could be discussed. It's my firm opinion that on this message board, if religion gets "discussed", it gets argued about. Think about it, have we ever had a thread where religion was discussed where it didn't turn into about 3 people trying to disprove the other's beliefs, undermine their beliefs, and in a few cases, undermine their intelligence or opinions as a whole? No. Whose fault is that? Well, nobody's really. Everybody is going to feel hurt when their beliefs are attacked. Note difference between challenged and attacked. It usually starts out as a discussion, then escalates into beliefs being challenged (which I believe is a necessary part of religion and life. I wouldn't be a true Christian if I had never had my faith challenged and chose for myself that I was going to be a Christian apart from my parents beliefs) and then when both sides realize that their challenges aren't being listened to then in most cases, it turns into attacking the others religions. That's where as Knapp said, the common sense tends to fly out of the window and people get hurt.

Bingo!

Being able to read the Bible or The Blind Watchmaker is completely different from understanding it. Many of us, if not all of us, are stubborn as hell, and would rather stick to our guns then consider someone else's views. It's hypocrytical by many of you and if you took a step back from your computer screen you'd see that and punch yourself in the face for it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Wow, I'm going to hijack this thread and thank Knapp for showing me the love in even remembering the banter Between Treat and Myself in an old thread.

Dang, all the negativity went over my head simply knowing someone actually would remember such a silly conversation.

The Cafe is Full of Love.

Thanks Knapp. ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby josebach » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:06 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote::-° WOW!

My .03 cents (yeah, that's right, my opinion is worth more than average)

Well then that makes Knapp's worth what?... a $1.25. ;-)

The most inflammatory post in this thread was the very first one.

in·flam·ma·to·ry /ɪnˈflæməˌtɔri, -ˌtoʊri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-flam-uh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. tending to arouse anger, hostility, passion, etc.: inflammatory speeches.
2. Pathology. of or caused by inflammation.

knapplc wrote:And here's what we should know - that religion is very dear to the hearts of several members here, and we should know that ANY discussion of religion wherein there is an attempt to disprove that religion is likely going to step on toes. I am telling you now that I am offended by those types of statements about something I hold very, very dear in my heart. It is not something I wish to be challenged in the manner in which it is challenged in GT, based on my experience here. There is a time and place for those challenges, and the typically flippant way we discuss things here (and I mean me too) is NOT the way I want it discussed. I find it very inappropriate and offensive.

Wouldn't the easiest solution be for YOU not to read them? Considering the mods have shown they're not going to lock these threads (which would be my first choice), I think by simply not reading them would be the easist way for you to avoid being offended. Surely it's easier than trying to convince everybody here to adhere to your standards, isn't it? That's just my .02 <--- the same as everyone else's ;-)

BTW, what's with all the "I love you" stuff? Sounds a little trite to me, but hey... if that's really how you guys feel about each other... well, let's just say I'm happy for you. I'm sure you'll all be great together!!! ;-7 :-b

Ahhh, just kidding. I love you Knapplc. I love you Omaha. I love you joelamosobadiah. And I love you most of all scarecrow. :-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby bighaasdog » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:55 pm

I think one mod has responded in this thread (Madison). I am curious what the collective viewpoint or various viewpoints of the mods are on topics of religion and politics in the general talk forum.

Haas
Psalm 16:11
bighaasdog
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bighaasdog » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:15 am

The most inflammatory post in this thread was the very first one.

I'll agree with the passion part of the definition in regards to the thread I posted......but other then that.......nope.
bighaasdog
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:53 am

bighaasdog wrote:I think one mod has responded in this thread (Madison). I am curious what the collective viewpoint or various viewpoints of the mods are on topics of religion and politics in the general talk forum.

Haas

Personally, as long as people are behaving with a little class and showing respect to others, I have no problems with people discussing religion and/or politics. We have a lot of very bright minds here at the Cafe and a lot can be learned during good conversation and discussions. When those threads result in nothing more than people fighting and/or acting like 2 year old children, then I'll lock the thread up.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bighaasdog » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:19 am

Personally, as long as people are behaving with a little class and showing respect to others, I have no problems with people discussing religion and/or politics. We have a lot of very bright minds here at the Cafe and a lot can be learned during good conversation and discussions. When those threads result in nothing more than people fighting and/or acting like 2 year old children, then I'll lock the thread up.

Cool. Please let me know if I cross any such lines, as that is not my intent.
bighaasdog
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 am

bighaasdog wrote:

Cool. Please let me know if I cross any such lines, as that is not my intent.

Will do. ;-D

Just note that sometimes if things are heated it's more of a judgement call at times. Some mods are quick to lock things up in order to prevent bigger problems, others allow the thread to continue a bit to see if the problem clears itself up. Both schools of thought are fine and make sense. With a dozen mods or so, we've got both kinds here (and some in the middle) which is a good checks and balances behind the scenes. Myself, I tend to let stuff stay open a bit longer than most to see if the issue can be resolved. Doesn't always work, and sometimes things get worse :-/ , but I'd rather see two members talk out their differences rather than lock the thread where they are stuck hating each other (unless they clear the air via PM). I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. :-D ;-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:56 am

Madison wrote:Myself, I tend to let stuff stay open a bit longer than most to see if the issue can be resolved. Doesn't always work, and sometimes things get worse :-/ , but I'd rather see two members talk out their differences rather than lock the thread where they are stuck hating each other (unless they clear the air via PM). I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. :-D ;-)

I'm glad you're a "glutton for punishment"...it makes for more interesting reads for the rest of us. :-B

:-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:19 pm

josebach wrote:Wouldn't the easiest solution be for YOU not to read them? Considering the mods have shown they're not going to lock these threads (which would be my first choice), I think by simply not reading them would be the easist way for you to avoid being offended. Surely it's easier than trying to convince everybody here to adhere to your standards, isn't it? That's just my .02 <--- the same as everyone else's ;-)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but weren't you the fella who 'left' because of threads like this?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk