2007 Ohio State thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2007 Ohio State thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2007 Ohio State thread

Postby jayday » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:04 pm

stomperrob wrote:Damn OSU education - past tense of "see" is "saw", not "seen"!!! ;-) :-D

It must suck when the best ammo you have is busting chops for grammar. All I have to say is 6 out of 7. But please, bring up the all-time record of 57-41-6. I know you guys take pride in clinging to those wins that were attended by Civil War veterans.

You guys definitely were the powerhouse in those days. I'll give you that. However, anyone with knowledge about the rivalry knows Ohio State wasn't "Ohio State" until they hired Francis Schmidt in the 1930s anyway. Before that, they weren't committed to being an elite football program like UM was with Fielding Yost in the early 1900s when they piled up all those victories and championships. College football in Yost's era would be on par with club sports today. It would be like me bragging about dominating UM if they scaled back their football program by 75% for the next decade and OSU racked up 10 wins. It's just not an apples to apples competition. You can go back to 1950 (Woody Hayes era and what some would call the modern era of college football) and the series is 29-27-2 (in Buckeye favor). You can also go back to 1928 and the series is all knotted up.

I'm sure you knew all that though...

Getting back to present day...I can't wait to see Beanie against that gimmick defense that Rodriguez runs. He's going to set the record for yards by a Buckeye back against UM in back-to-back years. It's going to be a made-for-TV movie titled "300", as in 300 yards.

Is it November yet? }:-)
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:18 pm

jayday wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Damn OSU education - past tense of "see" is "saw", not "seen"!!! ;-) :-D

It must suck when the best ammo you have is busting chops for grammar. All I have to say is 6 out of 7. But please, bring up the all-time record of 57-41-6. I know you guys take pride in clinging to those wins that were attended by Civil War veterans.

You guys definitely were the powerhouse in those days. I'll give you that. However, anyone with knowledge about the rivalry knows Ohio State wasn't "Ohio State" until they hired Francis Schmidt in the 1930s anyway. Before that, they weren't committed to being an elite football program like UM was with Fielding Yost in the early 1900s when they piled up all those victories and championships. College football in Yost's era would be on par with club sports today. It would be like me bragging about dominating UM if they scaled back their football program by 75% for the next decade and OSU racked up 10 wins. It's just not an apples to apples competition. You can go back to 1950 (Woody Hayes era and what some would call the modern era of college football) and the series is 29-27-2 (in Buckeye favor). You can also go back to 1928 and the series is all knotted up.

Getting back to present day...I can't wait to see Beanie against that gimmick defense that Rodriguez runs. He's going to set the record for yards by a Buckeye back against UM in back-to-back years. It's going to be a made-for-TV movie titled "300", as in 300 yards.

While I respect what you're saying about the timing, you're pretty much just looking up the records, and scewing them in whatever way benefits OSU the most. As much as I hate to break it to you, the wins in the early days count, just like the wins in the past few years count. It's not Michigan's fault that OSU was bad back in the old days.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:44 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
jayday wrote:

While I respect what you're saying about the timing, you're pretty much just looking up the records, and scewing them in whatever way benefits OSU the most. As much as I hate to break it to you, the wins in the early days count, just like the wins in the past few years count. It's not Michigan's fault that OSU was bad back in the old days.

Nor is it jayday's fault that Tressel's made Michigan his b***h. B-)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:00 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:Nor is it jayday's fault that Tressel's made Michigan his b***h. B-)

Ah, startin' next year sweater vest will be bendin' over and assuming the position for Rich just like he has for Urban and Les the last 2 years!
;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:58 am

stomperrob wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:Nor is it jayday's fault that Tressel's made Michigan his b***h. B-)

Ah, startin' next year sweater vest will be bendin' over and assuming the position for Rich just like he has for Urban and Les the last 2 years!
;-) :-b

You go right ahead and keep telling yourself that. Tell yourself you're gonna get Pryor too.

Reality will set in soon enough. }:-)

As to the "last 2 Years", OSU was good enough to beat Michigan.

Twice.

Not to mention in Tressel's 7 Seasons the Bucks have played in the NC game 3 times.

How many times Michigan been there during that stretch? :-?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
jayday wrote:It must suck when the best ammo you have is busting chops for grammar. All I have to say is 6 out of 7. But please, bring up the all-time record of 57-41-6. I know you guys take pride in clinging to those wins that were attended by Civil War veterans.

Nor is it jayday's fault that Tressel's made Michigan his b***h. B-)

Exactly, meaning that if you're looking at history, EVERY game should count, not just the ones that make OSU look better.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Rodriguez isn't running the 3-3-5 at Michigan, Shafer will be running the 4-3 I believe. We should be pretty bad (relatively speaking for Michigan) for next year and maybe the year after, but once RR gets his system in place the spread will give Tressel fits. We have all seen how Urban Meyer and Zook handed his ass to him, and Rodriguez did invent the spread offense.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:12 pm

CC wrote:Rodriguez isn't running the 3-3-5 at Michigan, Shafer will be running the 4-3 I believe. We should be pretty bad (relatively speaking for Michigan) for next year and maybe the year after, but once RR gets his system in place the spread will give Tressel fits. We have all seen how Urban Meyer and Zook handed his ass to him, and Rodriguez did invent the spread offense.

On No! If you're right then Tressel only has until 2010 to figure out how to defend the spread!

GASP! :-o

What will we do? :-o

I, for one, am terrified. ;-7 :-D

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jayday » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Ok...I just have to post this. I know we just finished the recruiting discussion for 2008 and are still waiting on TP to make up his mind. But this is newsworthy.

I have heard reports that at this past Rivals football camp for the top juniors in the country, defensive tackle John Simon (an OSU commit for the 2009 class), bench pressed 225 pounds over 40 times. In high school, they typically use 185 pounds as the benchmark, but apparently Johnny Simon is a F-R-E-A-K. This kid is 17 years old. At the NFL Combine this past month, I don't recall anyone breaking 40 reps.

I don't subscribe to Rivals. Can anyone check the site to verify this -- the news, boards, whatever. I just want to know if this is true.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 am

From Rivals

Simon looked even more physically impressive than he did in the state championship game just months ago, and he confirmed that he recently put up more than 40 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press. Simon said he learned a lot about the recruiting process at the event, despite already making an commitment to Ohio State.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football