1st Year...Missed my draft....would really appreciate any in - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

1st Year...Missed my draft....would really appreciate any in

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st Year...Missed my draft....would really appreciate any in

Postby Guzman24 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:21 pm

Ended up missing my draft because of work so my team was autodrafted.

This is my first year playing Fantasy Football. Would really appreciate any input. Will this team be competitive? Anyone I should be looking to replace via FA right away? Strengths/Weaknesses?

Here is my lineup and where they were drafted, if I've neglegted to add any necessary info please let me know:

14 Teams H2H I had the 3rd pick

Round Pick Player Position
1. (3) Larry Johnson RB
2. (26) Terrell Owens WR
3. (31) Clinton Portis RB
4. (54) Donovan McNabb QB
5. (59) Plaxico Burress WR
6. (82) Tatum Bell RB
7. (87) Chris Cooley TE
8. (110) Seattle DEF
9. (115) Nate Kaeding K
10. (138) Terence Newman DB
11. (143) Chris Johnson DB
12. (166) Joe Horn WR
13. (171) Reuben Droughns RB
14. (194) Eddie Kennison WR
15. (199) Owen Daniels TE
16. (222) Byron Leftwich QB
17. (227) San Francisco DEF
18. (250) Joe Nedney K

Settings:

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, D, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Stat Categories: Passing Yards (50 yards per point; 3 points at 350 yards)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point; 5 points at 200 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (30 yards per point; 5 points at 200 yards)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (3)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-2)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-2)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (-3)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (10)
Points Allowed 0 points (15)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (10)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (5)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (2)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Tackle Solo (1)
Sack (2)
Interception (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Fractional Points: No
Negative Points: Yes
Guzman24
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st Year...Missed my draft....would really appreciate any in

Postby Guzman24 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:42 am

bumping this.....would really appreciate some help. trying to get the hang of this fantasy football thing :-b
Guzman24
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:18 am

Your starters on offense aren't too bad, fairly solid, but you have no depth at RB and WR - you really need depth at RB but in a 14 team league I'm sure there's nothing on the WW. Leftwich lost his starting job so drop him for another QB. Dump your spare K, TE and Def if you can find anything of value on the RB WW. Obviously ya didn't pre-rank your D's and ended up with a couple of useless DB's - for some reason Yahoo doesn't bother to rank IDP's like they do offensive positions - they just list them in some random order - dump Newman and Johnson and try and find a couple better players - LB's are the best but they are listed with the DL's on Yahoo, then DB's and then DL's generally speaking - click on the "Rankings" in the left hand margin here and look at the IDP rankings and grab the best couple LB's and/or DB's available. For RB's, see if Leon Washington, Marcel Shipp, Michael Robinson, Tony Hunt are available - grab 1 or 2 of them. Wouldn't hurt to grab another WR - look for Ronald Curry, Michael Jenkins, Jacoby Jones, Troy Williamson, Ashley Lelie, Maurice Stovall, Demetrius Williams.
You have a tough road ahead - keep an eye on the WW each week for any value there, but don't just grab someone because they have one good week (and conversely, don't dump someone because they have one bad week) - when in doubt, post here or in the Waivers forum for advice.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eom » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:20 pm

1. (3) Larry Johnson RB
2. (26) Terrell Owens WR
3. (31) Clinton Portis RB
4. (54) Donovan McNabb QB
5. (59) Plaxico Burress WR
7. (87) Chris Cooley TE

I think these guys are a pretty good core, but you might have some injury concerns -- the rest are pretty much fodder.
first thing I'd do is plot them against the nfl schedule and mark off the bye weeks to see which weeks are weak at what spots, and what bye weeks to avoid when you build on your core.
bear in mind when trading, it's in your best interest to trade multiple mediocre players to get a couple good players.

qb - I think you look great here, but at some point you might want to keep an eye out for a back up on your bench in case mcnabb goes down.

wr - you'll want one more guy to fill bye weeks, fill in for injury, or just hop in the w/r spot when you're short on rb's.
maybe grab a brandon marshall or james jones sleeper type for your bench.

rb - I'd want 2-3 more, honestly.
rb's are something that you really want to be deep on to manipulate match ups, cover injuries, and use in the w/r slot -- problem is everybody wants them and they're in short supply.
maybe take a look at some feature backs you think might go down w/injury and sit a couple back ups on your bench, if you can't scrounge any through trade.
I'd make this your top trade priority.
I think droughns sucks, so he's not really what I had in mind, but maybe an a peterson (chi), or sammy morris....something like that.
but see if you can trade -- and get betts if you can.

def - I don't know what's left on your wire, but I don't mind carrying 2 if you've got good match ups.
check the schedule.

d - w/your point system all you want are linemen who tackle a lot.
you maybe want to pick up 3 to rotate through bye weeks, or even more depending on who you can unload through trades and your bench space.
there are lots of good d's left in the pool, but few o players.
p willis is a promising rookie who might be out there, m peterson might get overlooked because he was injured all last year (likewise greenway) --- if this is yahoo, go to the players page, list all d, sort by tackles (or points) for last year.
d williams (atl) might be a good one who's available --- it's hard to say w/o seeing your pool.
one thing you might also want to do is look at the schedule and see which available sack studs match up against horrible offensive lines and sock one or two away on your bench to rotate in on the match up.
keiaho's probably there if you want him...I'm sure there are lots of guys even if the names are gone.

ok, so basically you'll want to cut the sucks, pick up the d's, and package the rest of the riffraff together in whatever trades you can to salvage and consolidate a little value.
post up some message to your league to see if someone's shopping players, and look at everybody's line up to see what they might be looking for.

ps

daniels is apparently everybody's sleeper pick at te, but I have no real opinion on guys on teams like hou.
eom
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum