The (apparent) demise of the Cover-2 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The (apparent) demise of the Cover-2

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The (apparent) demise of the Cover-2

Postby Timbathia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:40 pm

bagobonez wrote:He's saying the "tampa 2" is dead, yet both SUper Bowl participants last year used it. How "dead" can it be if it's still working that well?

It may be a bit of a stretch to say that it works well for the Colts.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:37 am

Timbathia wrote:
bagobonez wrote:He's saying the "tampa 2" is dead, yet both SUper Bowl participants last year used it. How "dead" can it be if it's still working that well?

It may be a bit of a stretch to say that it works well for the Colts.

True, but their D actually played really well in the playoffs. They sucked in the regular season, but they played well when it mattered most.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby freeling_prideful » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:05 pm

If by "dead," one means "declining in popularity," then yes.

The Cover 2 or Tampa 2 was one of the defenses that everyone thought about emulating due to the success of Tampa, the Bears, etc. But they're realizing they don't have the guys to run it and are dropping it.

Same w/ the 3-4, look at how many teams switched to that after seeing the Pats win w/ a lot of 3-4 packages (not to mention the Steelers' continually dominant D's). Unfortunately, it really sucks if you have too many D lineman and just decide to convert 2 or 3 of them into linebackers...

Obviously the Tampa 2's still great, if it wasn't, then the Bears wouldn't be the No. 1 D in the land.
freeling_prideful
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:33 pm

It should be interesting to see how the NFC North plays out seeing as every team but the Packers are using it. I would bet the Bears really tweak with it this year. They have the players to be able to change it up but the Vikes and especially the Lions just don't have enough quality players to adapt to major changes. The Vikes might able to do it, but I don't have faith in the linebackers being able to adapt. Who knows, maybe they will all be able to run the same defense and not much will change from last year, but I kind of doubt it.

As for it being phased out, I wouldn't doubt it. New England blew Minnesota apart last year by running a spread. The Vikes were exposed and any team after that who had an accurate QB exploited that D. I think the Bears are fine though because the Vikings had many more weak links including linebacker which is not a good weak link to have in the cover 2.
jfg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk