Most valuable backup rb to have this year... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most valuable backup rb to have this year...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Most valuable backup rb to have this year...

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:41 am

1. Marion Barber III
2. Leon Washington
3. Ladell Betts
4. Maurice Jones-Drew
5. Deangelo Williams
6. Jerious Norwood
7. Selvin Young
8. Michael Turner
9. Adrian Peterson
10. Reggie Bush

Who are the guys you can expect to still have a huge year regardless of them not being the starter, in terms of production, chance to be a starter before the year is over, touchdowns, looks and touches, and involvement in the offense...They are ranked in no particular order, but if i had to rank 1-10 on the following it would be as such IMHO

1. Marion Barber III-Gets the td's, receptions, and should see plenty of carries to have a chance to see consistent production

2. Reggie Bush-Never gonna be the bruiser who gets 12 td's in a year, but in PPR leagues his value shoots up, and his total yds is what you should focus on with him, he makes up for the lack of rushing td's, but we should still see an increase

3. Adrian Peterson-Only concern with anyone, EVER for him was can he stay healthy, he showed in a few preseason games he's already the most talented back on their team, and better suited for goal line carries if he shows he can withstand the punishment he puts on opposing players

4. Maurice Jones-Drew-Had a huge rookie season, and he will only get better, should see an increase in carries and receptions, only reason he's not ranked higher then Bush is because Bush has to worry about one other back, drew still has fred taylor, and if greg jones jumps in the mix it knocks his value down slightly

5. Jerious Norwood-His big play, homerun ability is nothing to take lightly, he's exceptionaly quick, can catch passes out of the backfield, and does wonders with their zone blocking scheme...he can take any run the distance, and the only back in his way is Dunn who is older, and nicked up even more, id expect the shift as the season goes on to lean more towards norwood

6. Leon Washington-Him and norwood were almost 5a and 5b, only thing that knocks him down slightly behind him is they have thomas jones, who is younger and a more complete back then Dunn...but leon will most definately be used alot this year regardless of who starts, in the passing game, 3rd downs, and his speed like norwood brings the homerun ability every play...he does alot of things for them jones cannot do, and they will make sure they can get him on the field to utilize his strengths, just wont expect lots of rushing td's

7. Deangelo Williams-Showed flashes of brilliance last year when he got the chance, and had he not hurt his ankle it could of happened earlier...the panthers still like foster, but williams is the future, and will garner more rushing td's then either of the last 2 backs..I expect foster to miss some time again, and deangelo probably has the best vision out of anyone on this list outside of barber and drew..He hits the hole hard, is a great receiver out of the backfield, and shows alot of potential to take over teh starting job

8. Selvin Young-Yes they have travis henry, but yes this is denver, and if weve seen it once their, weve seen it a million times...Can you imagine how high his stock shoots if henry has to miss some time, or if shanny decides he wants him to receive some of the load during the game to keep henry fresh..His upside is more intriguing due to the system, and what he would be capable to do if given a shot, but his talent is nothing to take lightly...he's healthy for the first time since he was a freshman at UT, and during those days he looked all around better when he was spelling Cedric Benson

9. Ladell Betts-Still definately worth having, reason he is so low is because he had his time to shine when Portis was out, granted this yr they intend on bringing back portis slowly, but i dont think he steals much production from a healthy portis like alot of other backs, and another reason which seems to go forgotten is the redskins o line played magnificent the 2nd half of last yr, he didnt get touched until 4 yds up the field, and he had gaping holes to choose..But thats neither here nor there, he took advantage of his opportunity, and worth keeping this yr, but down the line, if portis is healthy I wouldnt feel comfortable starting him.

10. Michael Turner-If we were talking strictly talent obviously he would be ALOT higher on this list, but being that he plays behind LT, he will only see so much production, he does get lots of scrub work when they have the lead, and he makes the most out of it, but if anyone is expecting to start him, and expect him to make up the difference you are in trouble to say the least...we can assess him better once he's out of SD next yr and given a shot, but for now, his upside is limited due to LT

sleeper picks of the year

Greg Jones-Huge, powerful, punishing, and fast...dont let his injury fool anyone, he will garner goal line carries, and continue to get worked more into the running game as the season goes on
TJ Duckett-Kevin Jones is out, and Tatum Bell is injury prone when taking a full load, I am pretty sure Detroit knows this, and bell will not get the short yardage or goal line carries, Duckett has looked really well in pre season, and should continue to have this role even when jones is back...in deep leagues he's worth keeping for injuries, or trading after a huge week
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Most valuable backup rb to have this year...

Postby Smee » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:17 pm

I like your analysis of each back.

I don't know if I agree that each back on your list is a backup. Some are obviously in RBBC where they'll see a close to 50/50 split while others only see garbage time.

As far as 'backup backs' go I think Michael Turner is the most valuable. If LT goes down and Turner gets the rains, he has the potential to win your league ala Larry Johnson in 2005 when Priest went down.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:52 pm

- MB III may well end up the starter in Dallas before long.
- Leon Washington is talented, but on a garbage team (no offense) with a RB who will play even when injured, and that makes his stock take a hit, IMO.
- Ladell Betts is only worth having if Portis gets hurt. I actually think Portis is going to have a season, so no thanks.
- MJD is crazy talent, but there's too many cooks, and I don't want a part of it, personally. 3 headed monster = no thanks.
- DeAngelo could be interesting, but it could be a standard RBBC.
- Norwood will end up "the man" in Atlanta, but he's going to have his TDs vultured.
- Haven't made my mind up about Young's situation, but he's not the best candidate on this list, IMO
- Turner is only worth having if you have LT, and if I had LT, I'd have done what I had to do to get Turner. Sooner or later LT's gonna get knicked up.
- Adrian Peterson CHICAGO will probably end up starting, when Benson goes down lame.
- Adrian Peterson VIKINGS will probably usurp the starting job from CT.
- I am not sold on Reggie Bush in 07. But out of everyone named in that list, he's actually the most valuable, at the moment.

If it's a player you're counting on NOW, it's Reggie Bush. If it's someone you will stash on your bench, and use when he becomes more of a reality, I'd say ADP Vikings.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:46 pm

Smee wrote:I like your analysis of each back.

I don't know if I agree that each back on your list is a backup. Some are obviously in RBBC where they'll see a close to 50/50 split while others only see garbage time.

As far as 'backup backs' go I think Michael Turner is the most valuable. If LT goes down and Turner gets the rains, he has the potential to win your league ala Larry Johnson in 2005 when Priest went down.

your right, i guess the term "backup" can be overused, i used rb's who dont start, but some are obviously used more then others, and some have the potential to have the job this year....

now none of these players are guys you should rely on to carry your team each week, and maybe a few are worth starting at RB2, but not many right now

Adrian Peterson CHICAGO will probably end up starting, when Benson goes down lame.

I didnt think about this, which is very possible...Benson could very easily show he's not what they figured for a full time back, and i could see peterson taking carries regardless
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Some of the guys listed above are obviously more valuable than others. The actual list to be debated should be something like:

Adrian Peterson (chi)
Michael Turner
Kenton Keith
Selvim Young
Vernand Morency
Anthony Thomas
Leon Washington
Jesse Chatman
Mike Bell
Ron Dayne
TJ Duckett
Reuben Droughns
Brian Leonard
Michael Pittman
Maurice Morris
Mike Anderson

I think it would be more valuable for everyone to discuss guys that can be drafted late or picked up off the WW.
MotorCityKitties
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Max Power » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:12 pm

I opened the post with the intention of making fun of this thread, However it was a fun read. More thoughful than most things I see here.

I do Like Selvin young (for now) and I think Dom Rhodes is due for some big things in a kiffen style O.

"whoever backs up the guy that gets a season ending injury is the most valuable backup" <---- my lame comeback
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:16 pm

MJD
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 pm

Guys like Barber or Bush are in RBBC, they're not backups really. I'd say the most valuable backup is easily Betts. He was awesome last year and Portis is looking pretty frail.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:55 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:Guys like Barber or Bush are in RBBC, they're not backups really. I'd say the most valuable backup is easily Betts. He was awesome last year and Portis is looking pretty frail.

your right, i listed players who are in a RBBC and dont start, as well as the backups...but only a few of these backs should of been taking in the 2nd, most were after that point or mid round draft picks...

keep an eye on those sleeper picks guys ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JakeTrain72 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:37 am

take out "backup" rb and just go with non-featured back and I still go with Betts and Morris as the two best.

Betts put up 1500 total yards last season and even if you do not consider Portis injury prone, ready for a bounce back season. Betts has a better chance of playing than Turner and a better shot at being featured if he gets a shot than say Keith and Norwood. Overall, the best non-featured RB to own is Betts hands down.

Second is Sammy Morris, no one is talking about this guy at all. Maroney hasn't done anything to suggest he will be a 10+ TD machine, capable of putting up a 100 with a Td every week. Even if Maroney is healthy, Morris is going to be worth starting as a flex #3RB this season as he becomes this year's version of MB3. Morris will not be deemed the undisputed goal line RB, but he will vulture a few and break a few this season. And if MAroney goes down, he becomes a solid #2 RB.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk