My first team, opinions please? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

My first team, opinions please?

Moderator: Football Moderators

My first team, opinions please?

Postby Seahockz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:40 pm

Ok well its my first time ever playing fantasy football. Anyways here's how my team ended up so far. I was 8th pick in a 12 team league.

Your opinions (Good or Bad) would be very much appreciated as I am inexperienced.

QB: Tom Brady, Rex Grossman, Joey Harrington (Want to trade Rex or Joey for someone to help my team)
RB: Joseph Addai, Cedric Benson
WR: Hines Ward, Deion Branch, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall
TE: Antonio Gates, Owen Daniels
K: Robbie Gould, Kris Brown
DEF: Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals
Seahockz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My first team, opinions please?

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:27 am

You're dead in the water with only 2 RB's in 12 team league - you should have 3 decent RB's and a couple spares! Why did you draft 3 QB's? No one will give you anything for Grossman or Harrington until they prove themselves. And why 2 TE's, 2 K's and 2 D's??? Those are all wasted picks that should have been used on RB's and WR's. Is there anything left for RB's on the WW - should drop Daniels and Brown and grab someone!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Seahockz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:04 am

In the league Im in you have to have at least two of every position.
Seahockz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Seahockz wrote:In the league Im in you have to have at least two of every position.

Gotta hate that - takes a lot of the strategy out of the game. But with everyone in the same boat, there must be something left in the free agent pool - ya need another RB in case one of yours gets injured, not to mention ya need one to fill for your bye weeks. Like I said before, ya prob won't get much for Grossman or Harrington, certainly not a starting RB, so I would drop Harrington and grab another RB asap!
Any RB's left like: Lamont Jordan, LenDale White, Kevin Jones, Jerious Norwood, Brandon Jackson, Warrick Dunn???
If not, grab someone like: Ladell Betts, Leon Washington, Michael Turner, Marcel Shipp, Tony Hunt, Michael Robinson, to name but a few.
Good luck - lemme know how ya make out!
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latraffic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Bet you had a minor heartattack when Addai went down in the first play tonight? :-) That's a good sign that you need more running backs. If ther ww is weak (stomperrob gave you a good list ot look for) then you'll need to strategize. You say you have to have two at each position - does that equate to you have to start 2 at each position? If NOT, then consider dangling Daniels or Gould (or maybe even Gates) for a trade for a quality RB then grab someone at the TE or K position to fil the requirement.

Maybe Rex and Joey will have stellar weekends and you can trade them while they are RED hot... don't hold your breath though unless some other stud QBs get knocked out for the season this weekend... heaven forbid!
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Seahockz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:07 am

I totally agree with you, I definitely need more RBs at least one more.

Of the RBs you mentioned stomperrob, here's who is left...

Leon Washington, Michael Turner, Marcel Shipp, Tony Hunt, and Michael Robinson...

Which should I take?
Seahockz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Shotz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:12 pm

I won't pretend I know enough to tell you who is the "best" of those backs, but Michael Robinson will be a "good" choice. I have him for my 4th. With Gore's history of injuries he's a good pick even though he would split duty with Hicks but the Niners like to use Robinson in goal line situations even with a rested and healthy Gore.

Good luck!
Shotz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Fantasy Expert

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:15 pm

Seahockz wrote:I totally agree with you, I definitely need more RBs at least one more.

Of the RBs you mentioned stomperrob, here's who is left...

Leon Washington, Michael Turner, Marcel Shipp, Tony Hunt, and Michael Robinson...

Which should I take?

At this point it's basically a crap shoot - all have plusses. Michael Turner would be a starter on any other team - backing up LT he won't get ya much, but if LT ever went down he's worth his weight in gold. Leon Washington looked good as a rookie last year and the Jets plan to still use him even with Thomas the starter now - hard to say how much work he'll see, but once again he has value if Jones goes down. Cardinals have said they plan on using Shipp inside the red zone, but hard to say if they will stick to that when they have someone like Edgerrin James as their #1 - if Edge goes down, his job could end up getting split between Shipp and JJ Arrington who looked very good in camp and preseason, so that would lessen Shipp's value somewhat. And Robinson is good insurance in case Gore goes down but Hicks would see some work too - with Gore missing most of pre-season, he's rested and healthy and I don't see Robinson stealing many carries or TD's from him as long as he stays healthy. Tony Hunt has looked good and if Westbrook went down he would share the load with Buckhalter - they have also said they will use him in the red zone.

So it's anyone's guess. I would be inclined to go with Washington - he appears to be the one with the most value even if the starter remains healthy. Hunt is also worth keeping an eye on as they have said they will use him in the red zone, but it remains to be seen how much work he'll see. In the case of the starter being lost to injury, Turner is the one to have. Which ever one you choose - put the others on your watch list and keep an eye on them throughout the season.

Good luck!
stomperrob

Postby Seahockz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks everyone who have posted in this thread, I really appreciate the help since Im a newb! :-b

I feel like I have a much better understanding of Fantasy Football, but of course I still have much more to learn.

Also I'd like to mention that Chris Brown, RB from Tennessee is still in, is he a good choice? :-S
Seahockz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Seahockz wrote:Thanks everyone who have posted in this thread, I really appreciate the help since Im a newb! :-b

I feel like I have a much better understanding of Fantasy Football, but of course I still have much more to learn.

Also I'd like to mention that Chris Brown, RB from Tennessee is still in, is he a good choice? :-S

Yeh, Brown looked good in pre-season - LenDale White is the starter for now but Brown will get some touches too, but no one is sure how many though - if White falters, Browns appears to be next in line, but he does have a history of injury problems.
stomperrob

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum