How will tonight's game effect your Sunday rosters? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How will tonight's game effect your Sunday rosters?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How will tonight's game effect your Sunday rosters?

Postby Max Power » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 pm

Hopefully by now everyone here knows the concept of risk vs reward starts. Even the Cafe startem-sitem breaks it out for you.

Tonight is the biggest game of the fantasy football week. With no less than 7 MUST starts (Manning, Addai, Wayne, Harrison, Brees, Colston, & Bush)

Add Mcallister to that list depending on league size.

Not to mention that Dallas Clark and Devry Henderson will probably be started by someone in your league.

Patton, Copper, Eric Johnson and Anthony Gonzalez could also be in play in some of the super deep leagues.

So after tonight most of us will either be winning or losing going into setting up the sunday rosters. Now I am curious to see how tonights game will alter your roster. If you are playing a team who is starting Reggie Bush or Addai and they go off for 100 plus yards and a couple TDs, might you start your risker QB or WR to try and make up ground? Or stand pat with safer bet?
Or just pay no attention to it at all and start your drafted starting roster?
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How will tonight's game effect your Sunday rosters?

Postby moonhead » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:31 pm

i figure the only thing that will change the starting lineup for me is an injury at this point. i drafted who i drafted because of my feelings and outlook on their year. and i've already set my lineups with the best matchups possilbe. so i figure to just sit back, have a cold beer, a medium rare steak, and enjoy football season. ain't life grand?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby biju » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:52 pm

I don't think anything is going to change my lineup this week, and really I don't play these kinds of matchups. I play for highest points possible every week and what I've found is that consistency from my players puts up the best score. If I do happen to have an erratic player in my regular lineup it's probably because it's just extra gravy on a solid core. ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby m16a » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Kinda like moonie said, I drafted my tram based on how I feel people will do. A game like this won't change it, the players with the best chances of breaking out will start for me ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Well, when Addai and Wayne combine for 11 touchdowns and 500 total yards I probably won't even need to worry about the rest of my team really... :-]
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:05 pm

i have never let what the other guys team is doing dictate who i start or do not start.based on circumstances such as injuries or very lopsided matchups my team starts my best players every week. so in a word it will affect my sunday line up "None".
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby bagobonez » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:34 pm

I own Reggie Wayne in one league and face him in the other, so it's going to be bitter sweet for me either way. I also face Peyton in the same league that I own Reggie Wayne though, so if I had my druthers I'd rather the Peyton to Wayne combo not work out tonight.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DrSpackle » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:57 pm

The only guy I have going tonight is Colston.

But I do love these games that have a lot of FF implications. You see these match-ups a few times a year, like last years' Bengals-Colts game.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Felix the Cat » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:52 pm

Tonight's game has the potential to affect my starting lineup.

I think what other posters have not acknowledged is that many (if not most) rosters have a combination of players who will consistently put up big numbers, players that will consistently put up OK numbers, and players that are risky and could put up either type of numbers.

The best example I can think of from last year would be Rex Grossman vs. (say) Philip Rivers or Jake Delhomme. Rivers and Delhomme generally put up OK but not spectacular numbers. Grossman put up great numbers some weeks and horrible numbers some others in a rather unpredictable fashion.

If there are a lot of players from both Indy and Nawlins on the roster of one of my teams and its opponent and it looks like the matchup went his way more than anticipated, I would consider starting a riskier but higher ceiling player than instead of a consistently mediocre one. On the other hand, if it looks like the matchup went my way more than anticipated, I would do the reverse and consider putting up the "guaranteed OK" player.

There's nothing worse than starting a risky player who "busts" that week and then losing by 2 points.

Roster management is slightly more complex than just "start the players who will do the best", because you can never be certain who will do the best that week. Some players have the potential to do better than others but also have the potential to do worse. Some players are consistency incarnate.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:00 pm

I'm sending Devery Henderson against the young Indy corners tonight, benching Deion Branch in the process. I was going to sit Henderson in favor of Branch for the first few weeks to see how things played out, but it is hard to resist a player on a high powered offense against the Indy D...plus I wanted a little something extra riding on this game. :-)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk