Is peyton manning the biggest name in sports? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is peyton manning the biggest name in sports?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is peyton manning the biggest name in sports?

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:39 am

I would venture to guess that worldwide, Michael Jordan would be as big of a name as Peyton Manning right now.

In America it probably starts with Tiger Woods, then ARod, then anyone's guess. Manning is probably somewhere between 5-10.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:53 am

The rest of the world doesn't care enough about American football to make one of the NFL stars that big.

Yao Ming already has a billion and a quarter person head start. Jordan is still famous, as is Tiger, Federer, Schmuacher, and Beckham, Lance Armstrong.

This is from 1994, but if this doesn't show that the NFL doesn't register, then oh well... It definitely has its faults, but the fact of the matter is, its highly unlikely the biggest name in sports in general is Peyton Manning. It's probably likely in american sports, but Tiger still probably rates higher, or as high.

http://english.people.com.cn/200412/28/ ... 68973.html
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:44 am

Peyton Manning is pushing for the title of the biggest name in American sports, but I don't think that he's there yet. I would personally put Tiger Woods and still Michael Jordan over him.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:46 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:Peyton Manning is pushing for the title of the biggest name in American sports, but I don't think that he's there yet. I would personally put Tiger Woods and still Michael Jordan over him.

Me too. In fact, I said that two posts above yours. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:54 am

knapplc wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:Peyton Manning is pushing for the title of the biggest name in American sports, but I don't think that he's there yet. I would personally put Tiger Woods and still Michael Jordan over him.

Oh phooey, didn't read the second page of posts. I have a bad habit of doing that. !+)

You're always beating me to the punch. :-C :-B
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:00 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Oh phooey, didn't read the second page of posts. I have a bad habit of doing that. !+)

You're always beating me to the punch. :-C :-B

You know, I almost chose "Quick-Draw McGraw" as my user name. It was so close. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby matmat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:09 pm

jfg wrote:
I'd say Tiger Woods, Alex Rodriguez, Peyton Manning, Lebron James and Tom Brady in that order.

sorry, but not enough people around the world care about american football or baseball (baseball a little more than football, i'd guess). That ruels out arod, manning the elder and brady (except now that he's associated with Giselle, which might help his global name recognition). Golf is huge in the us and popular abroad, but not nearly as popular as football (that's soccer), same with basketball.
Someone mentioned cycling, but that's also somewhat of a niche sport.

Someone made a nice point with Yao, but i still think the best known (? = biggest name) current player is likely a footballer, probably ronaldinho or cristiano ronaldo (though the former has won footballer of the year for FIFA or UEFA, i believe). I also wouldn't be surprised, as many have mentioned, if Jordan were very high on the list.

Another strange angle to look at might be tennis stars -- especially the cute female ones... a lot of people that don't care about team sports do watch tennis (and figure skating ?!), so who knows, sharapova or federer or the williams sisters might actually have more name recognition.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Max Power » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:26 pm

I wasnt really thinking worldwide when I posted this originally. It should probably read...Is manning the biggest name of Active sports stars in the 4 major US sports? (football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey)

There...Now I look like I know what im talking about ;-D

P.S. That ESPN NOW was a bunch of garbage...Didnt watch most of it
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby matmat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Max Power wrote:I wasnt really thinking worldwide when I posted this originally. It should probably read...Is manning the biggest name of Active sports stars in the 4 major US sports? (football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey)

hehe

are you sure you don't want to include nascar, tennis and golf? :-)
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PMoneyTKE » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:05 pm

matmat wrote:
Max Power wrote:I wasnt really thinking worldwide when I posted this originally. It should probably read...Is manning the biggest name of Active sports stars in the 4 major US sports? (football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey)

hehe

are you sure you don't want to include nascar, tennis and golf? :-)

What are all these other sports you all speak of??? :-?

:-b
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk