Waiver question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Waiver question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Waiver question

Postby dugbrandon » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:30 pm

Our league has a rule where all players go on waivers at game time Sunday until Tuesday morning so that all players have an equal chance at picking up a backup to an injured starter. This is the commissioners rule. Problem is there are Thursday games, like tonight. Our commissioner picked up Addai's backup when Addai got hurt, also Eric Johnson has been picked up. Had This been a Sunday game these players would be on Waivers instead of free agents. Shouldn't this rule be adjusted to include Thursday games too? I know Addai's backup isn't a big deal b/c Addai is fine, but it is based purely on principle and future problems. Your input is appreciated.
dugbrandon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Waiver question

Postby dgan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:20 pm

If the rule specifically states "gametime on Sunday", then I would notify the Commish that the rules prohibit the moves he made...they should be reversed. If the rule states (and it should) "gametime of the first game of the week", then obviously his moves are legit.

And why wasn't Eric Johnson owned anyway?
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby heelfan72 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 pm

I really don't see how you can argue if that's what the rule states. Someone should've said something earlier b/c there's always been Thurs. games.
heelfan72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Matchup Meltdown ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby iamgregg » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:34 am

As far as I'm concerned he isn't in the wrong. The rules are players are put on waivers on Sunday and it's not like this is an exploit he designed well in advance so he can cheat. Everyone is on a level playing field. Next week it will be other people in this situation.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:40 pm

The way I think it should be is that a player should be locked within five minutes of that players gametime and come off waivers on Tuesday mornings.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dugbrandon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:14 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:The way I think it should be is that a player should be locked within five minutes of that players gametime and come off waivers on Tuesday mornings.

This is how I feel too. It happens automatically on Sunday games but with the Thursday and Saturday games they don't go on waivers until Sunday so you are free to pick up guys as FA during the game. It is the commissioners own rule and he is breaking the spirit of it by picking up a player in a Thursday game, during the game. Basically he is using a loophole in his own rule b/c this happens to be a Thursday game. Then he wrote back to me saying that if I was going to cheat he didn't want people like me in his league when HE is the guy who is cheating. He is still mad about last year when after I had locked up a playoff spot I wanted to lose the last week so that I would play him in week one of the playoffs b/c I felt I matched up with him better. There was no rule against it at the time and he threw a fit. I would have beaten him and won the league and the MONEY, but due to his incessant whining I played my starters and did not get the playoff match up I wanted. I'm really angry about this situation and am considering not paying him to play this year and telling him to lock my team even though I think I have a team that can win it all.
dugbrandon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner